• B: Flying Our Colors

Votes: 78 40.6%
  • C: City/County

Votes: 66 34.4%

• Total voters

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Red white and blue is the best of the three options. The bottom right one would be better if the blue and green were darker, or if you just eliminated the grass altogether. I know they were probably going for a sky and grass color, but that lime green is not a good look.

The Great Wide Open option is boring.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
They should spread out the letters a little bit so that people have to put the stickers in the correct place. If they put them on the numbers they deserve to be arrested.
People who incorrectly place stickers infuriate me. I am aware it's completely irrational, but it does.

It's such a simple thing to **** up. It even tells you on the piece of paper the sticker comes on.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
"Flying our colors" reminds me too much of Texas. No thanks.

I voted bottom right. The colors are unique to other plates I've seen from around the country.

Agree. Why not just make it like the French flag that we already copied? (Instead the dark blue is on top and red on bottom now on the plate.)

Looks too "sqawk-ish" as well. The bird on the state flag is an eagle... but outsiders could see that as a "sqawk-eye." Also, from afar, the top navy blue color could be seen as BLACK. And again, that favors the eastern part of the state.

Even though all of these options blow, IMO. The bottom right or "C" looks to be the best option.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: KnappShack

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I wish states had adopted a European style registration number and simple plates rather than trying to outdo themselves with dumb graphics that look like **** on half the car colors out there.

And while they are at it delete the front plate.

Reactions: wxman1

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Don't get the love for the Flying Our Colors plate. Lots of states with similar color themes and the plate fails to make me think of Iowa in the slightest. At least the others try to give an impression of the state. City and Country is probably my favorite but I'd like it even better if it had the base of the Great Wide open as it's.

Also the alternate one posted here is probably my favorite overall, could be a touch busy though.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Don't get the love for the Flying Our Colors plate. Lots of states with similar color themes and the plate fails to make me think of Iowa in the slightest. At least the others try to give an impression of the state. City and Country is probably my favorite but I'd like it even better if it had the base of the Great Wide open as it's.

Also the alternate one posted here is probably my favorite overall, could be a touch busy though.
What about a combination of the skyline and the flag one? None are ones I'm like we have to have but they aren't awful.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Random car ride:

"How do you pronounce that county? Pot a want a me?"

:D

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I liked bottom right. Top right looks like other ones.

I agree with dropping the front plates. I get why LEO's would disagree with that, though :)

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
The reason is so they have an excuse to pull people over if the county name is obstructed by a license plate cover. There was an Iowa Supreme Court ruling that determined it is a viable reason to pull someone over a couple years ago because some cops were in hot water for not having a reason to pull someone over.

I like seeing the county names so if someone is driving like an idiot I can judge if they are just unfamiliar with the area or actually an idiot. haha
Me driving in Des Moines trying to figure out which lane the exit is in every time.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

I'm not seeing a lot of "love" thrown around here. More like a best-worst option.

I don't mind the City and Country but the color scheme isn't good. The blue/teal at the top ruins it for me.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As far as the numb nuts who like to display every annual renewal sticker on their plate to make it look like a rainbow...they could not fine these people, just give them a "fix-it ticket" giving them a set number of days to buy a new replacement plate and show it to the law enforcement agency or they will have to pay a fine.

Further research says it can be a $100 fine:

http://www.kcci.com/article/common-license-plate-mistake-could-cost-you-cash/6908174

• Winner
Reactions: WhatchaGonnaDo

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
I actually enjoy the counties. It's fun seeing where different people are from, especially if you happen to see an Iowa license plate outside of the state.
I only look at counties to see if the jackass that pissed me off while driving is in town and they're likely to piss me off again, or if I'm pissed off at someone who I likely won't be seeing in the future.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Voted for the plate with the Iowa flag colors.

Since the Iowa flag is based off of the French flag I'm thinking it'll class up the joint

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Top right.

Wish we could drop counties, though.

Counties are probably the best part about the Iowa license plates. You can be halfway across the country and be able to tell if that car parked next to you is basically from your hometown...I've had multiple awesome experiences running into people who live 2 blocks away or so from me (one in Arizona, Florida, etc).

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Bosley's design is nice, BUT in the background he has 3 tiers: A city skyline with tall buildings, wind turbines, then on the bottom he drops a 1970 style tractor. It's 2017, the tractor picture he uses are now a days only found in 4 places, A) parades, B) next to a grain bin with an auger hooked up to it, C) in a pasture with the fence post driver on the front, or most commonly D) in the way back of the barn.

If Iowa is going to literally feed the world, please let the world know our technology and equipment we use now a days is up to date and able to compete globally.

• Agree
Reactions: bringmagicback

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A couple of tweaks to the basic designs, based on suggestions in this thread.

iowa plate green2.jpg

iowa plate blue dark1.jpg

iowa plate blue1.jpg

Some people want to get rid of the county label. I like it from historic standpoint, but an option might be to make the bottom portion a solid color, and include the state motto instead.