Tailgating Generators

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I know this has been previously discussed but I cannot find the thread with just the keyword generator.

Planning to purchase a generator primarily for tailgating but also for some other random activities.

Been around the Honda's and appreciate how quiet they are but the cost is high.

Thoughts/opinions or link to old threads.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
When we were looking, every store said that there's is "as good as a Honda." Then, my son said he has never heard anyone say anything but great stuff about the Honda's. So, we bought a Honda!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yamaha or Honda seem to be the way to go.

There are some other, cheaper brands that also claim to offer quiet operation, but can't vouch for those.

Just dont be that guy that rolls out one of the noisy generators.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cycsk and Cyride1

Cyride1

Aug 18, 2012
After reading opinions here and online, this is what I bought two years ago. Not sure if we've ever used all the gas we put in, and that was a concern of mine. Now at tailgates, I'll turn it on for nothing more than having a place to charge my phone. I love this generator! Bought it on Amazon.
Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2000 Watt Stackable Portable Inverter Generator
I bought the same one 2 years ago from Amazon, my buddy has honda next to me and thinks he overspent after seeing mine

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Tomorrow is market beef day at our county fair. All the steer jocks should have their generators running. Plan to walk around and listen.

Will probably know what not to buy.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
203617901_S01.spin

I already had a 6000 W generator at home so I wanted something smaller for tailgating. Got this little guy 2 years ago for only $440 at Lowes I think. It is nearly the same exact decibels of sound as the Honda equivalent. Just make sure you look up the dB in the specs when you buy.

Honda is the best, but there are some cheaper options that don't annoy the rest of the lot.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
203617901_S01.spin

I already had a 6000 W generator at home so I wanted something smaller for tailgating. Got this little guy 2 years ago for only $440 at Lowes I think. It is nearly the same exact decibels of sound as the Honda equivalent. Just make sure you look up the dB in the specs when you buy.

Honda is the best, but there are some cheaper options that don't annoy the rest of the lot.

I bought this one from Home Depot 2 years ago when they had a sale on it and it's been a very solid generator. I have a friend that has a Honda 2000 and this one is just as quiet as his is with nearly the same power ratings. It's crazy just how long it will go on such a small tank too. I drain mine after every football season so it doesn't sit with gas in in it, even after siphoning what I can out of the tank where it looks nearly dry I bet I have to to run it an hour or 2 at full throttle just to get the last bit out of it. The Honda generators are proven and top of the line but if you are looking for a less expensive option the Ryobi is just as good of a generator I think.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'll bet that my Honda costs less per year over 10 years than yours from Lowe's.

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
I have had a champion 2000 for 5 years now. It is just as quiet as the honda and very efficient. I just bought a predator 3500 inverter for my camper. It is even quieter. Just bought it Thursday night so time will tell how it holds up. But it was a third of the price of a honda.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I have a Honda and it is totally foolproof and quiet. So no regrets. Although being a tightwad I will always wonder if a Ryobi would have been just as good.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
my bike club looked a long time, and I ended up with the little Honda because someone was selling it on Craigslist for $600, never used. Ya, it might have been stolen but the guy did have the owner's manual.

It looked like there were some cheaper options, but most of those had a guy or two that was unhappy about something. Everyone with a Honda seemed very happy. The Honda seemed to be able to handle a much better load than it is rated for when I had the power out a couple years ago. Fridge, freezer, sump pump, several electronics, etc. It reved up a bit when the sump started, but slowed right down after that.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I have a Honda and it is totally foolproof and quiet. So no regrets. Although being a tightwad I will always wonder if a Ryobi would have been just as good.

This is what I went back and forth on as I know Honda generators have the solid reputation behind them and they have actually come down quite a bit in price lately as they used to be around $2000 for the 2000 model and are now about half that. I have a few friends whose occupations are in the work trades like contracting, electrical, and plumbing and many of them think that Ryobi makes a good power tool that lasts well over time with the heavy use they put their power tools through. Many put them right up there with their Dewalt tools so for me it came down to only using this generator about 6 or so times a year for a few hours at a time otherwise it sits in the garage as an emergency backup power source. I don't regret the buy, you can barely hear it running in auto-idle mode just like the Honda and it has done the job I bought it for. I've seen a few others in the tailgate lots with them too so they must not be too bad.

I take pretty good care of my stuff, like I said I run it dry at the end of each football season just like I do my lawnmower and snowblower which both I purchased in 2004 and both stare right up after putting gas in them after sitting for months during their down times. I change the oil and filters in both fairly regularly too, I think most small motor tools if you are diligent about properly maintaining them you can get a lot of life out of them regardless of brand.