The Concussion Diaries - Ex Indianola FB Player

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Heartbreaking but great story from Reid Forgrave in GQ centered around Zac Easter from Indianola.

http://www.gq.com/story/the-concussion-diaries-high-school-football-cte

Concussions aren't just a concern for college and NFL players.

Sad story. As much as that kid loved football, the adults around him should've sat him down and told him enough was enough and it was time to retire (before his senior year). Sounds like he had issues before the "three" concussions his senior year. Hindsight is 20/20 though because a lot has changed since 2008.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Good.

I'm talking more about attitudes like these recent comments:

If a kid really wants to play football, let them play. My kid loves football, but I'm going to watch him like a freaking hawk. If concussions become an issue, he's done. He can be a trainer or coach or something.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr Janny

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
The thing is we just don't know how many are affected. At 36 I sometimes have days that I just can't focus on anything, and I know sometimes I have a hard time remembering things. Is that just because I'm getting older or is it worse than it should be due to football? I only played through high school. Never had a concussion diagnosed but I suspect now that I had one or two minor ones in addition to taking a beating playing center. It's possible that the effects are widespread but fortunately for most people are subtle enough to not significantly affect their quality of life.

I'm only 26 and I've noticed similar things. I know my memory isn't as sharp as it was even just 5 or so years ago. It's hardly debilitating, but there are way more times where I lose my train of thought and then have to really think to remember where I was at mentally.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Sad story. As much as that kid loved football, the adults around him should've sat him down and told him enough was enough and it was time to retire (before his senior year). Sounds like he had issues before the "three" concussions his senior year. Hindsight is 20/20 though because a lot has changed since 2008.

That was kind of my thought on the article. Knowing what we know now, it's hard not to cast blame on the dad, coach and to a lesser extent the trainer. But when all of this was happening, we knew very little about CTE, and as the dad said in the documentary, it was largely assumed CTE was just for those who played through the college and pros. No one was talking about it at the high school level yet.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
New study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association by the CTE Center at Boston University - also known as "the Brain Bank" because of its collection of brains from deceased football players - found that out of 202 former football players, 177 (87%) had CTE. That includes people who only played in high school or college. For the 111 brains of those who played in the NFL, CTE was found in 110 (99%).
  • 14 high school players: 3 had mild CTE
  • 53 college players: 27 had mild CTE and 21 had severe CTE
  • 14 semi-professional players: 4 had mild CTE and 5 had severe CTE
  • 8 CFL players: 1 had mild CTE and 6 had severe CTE
  • 110 NFL players: 15 had mild CTE and 95 had severe CTE
They also provide info on symptoms these people were experiencing. They admit that this is a biased sample, since in many cases (especially for the NFL) the brains were donated because of symptoms prior to death. But that's still an astonishingly high number.

Study

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My nephew was having a disagreement with my sister in law this weekend about playing football. He is 12 and has never played but apparently his dad signed him up for tackle football. SIL says that is a no go since he has never even played before and most of the guys he would play with/against have. She keeps saying he can start with flag football. I like to err on the side of letting kids try things, but I can't help but agree with her. The kid is undersized and based on his family is likely never going to be terribly big.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I doubt my kids play tackle at any point. I wouldn't stop them if they wanted to. But I think about this story a lot when I watch.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
My nephew was having a disagreement with my sister in law this weekend about playing football. He is 12 and has never played but apparently his dad signed him up for tackle football. SIL says that is a no go since he has never even played before and most of the guys he would play with/against have. She keeps saying he can start with flag football. I like to err on the side of letting kids try things, but I can't help but agree with her. The kid is undersized and based on his family is likely never going to be terribly big.
If the kid is going to try this is the age I would want him trying at. Kids will start hitting puberty and will just be getting bigger, faster, stonger going forward.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Looks like Reid has a book out now. Putting it on my reading list

Finally got around to reading this over the weekend. Picked it up and read the whole thing in a day.

Pretty much a book version of the article, with a few more stories & interviews mixed in, but just as captivating.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
My parents didn't want me to play football and I somewhat resent that but I really hope I have a kid that doesn't want to play football. First of all, I do think kids need some time to be kids but I also don't really have to think about and make this decision for them. If their genetics were that where maybe they gain an education or something out of it, it would be different but I just have a really hard time justifying the amount of risk football poses with half your genetics coming from me. It's likely going to be HS and done. Hopefully he's so into baseball, basketball, and golf that those are fighting for his time.