BLOG: A few notes on the 2017-18 basketball schedule

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If we can beat Missouri on Friday night, I hope I don't forget to bring up the outcome to my overbearing Missouri co-workers on Monday. They apparently turned into John Wooden's UCLA dynasty these past few months.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Once the schedule got down to fill-in-the-blanks phase, this is roughly what I expected.

Getting the home/away vs. Missouri is a decent touch. If anything similar was going to happen ... additional home/away or single-season neutral game ... that likely would've been finalized in the spring.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
It feels dirty saying it but that young core of talent Iowa has looked to show some real promise last year. I just have a bad feeling about that one for some reason. With SC losing a big chunk of their talent last year I have more confidence in us beating them, should we make it to the final. Purple hoks will be a close one too like it usually is :mad:

I agree with you, but I'll believe something that hasn't happened since 2003 when I see it ;)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My pre-August predictions for non-con:
L at Missouri (4OT)
W Milwaukee
W vs. Appalachian State (PR Tip-Off)
W vs. Tulsa/Western Michigan (PRT)
L vs. South Carolina/Boise State (PRT)
W Western Illinois
W Northern Illinois
W Iowa
W Alcorn State
L vs UNI (Big 4 Classic) (*Grrrr**)
W UMES
W Tennessee (Big 12/SEC Challenge)

Largest margin of victory: Alcorn State

• Funny
Reactions: Sigmapolis

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
That's demonstrably false. People have walked us through that time and again.
To take that next step as a program, step up the schedule a little bit. Not that hard.

Or schedule Golden State. Everyone wants to play Durant.

Actually, I think stepping up the schedule is, in fact, hard. Do we know what our budget is to pay these teams? top 100/150 RPI teams cost a lot more, maybe we don't (can't?) pay it. maybe they don't want to play us.

we've been lucky to get mizz and cinci to do home-homes. otherwise, we have to hope for good non conf tourneys or SEC challenge.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyballzz

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Actually, I think stepping up the schedule is, in fact, hard. Do we know what our budget is to pay these teams? top 100/150 RPI teams cost a lot more, maybe we don't (can't?) pay it. maybe they don't want to play us.

we've been lucky to get mizz and cinci to do home-homes. otherwise, we have to hope for good non conf tourneys or SEC challenge.

Iowa State is in a tough spot regarding the schedule. There aren't many P5 teams that are going to schedule a home and away with us. We could line those games up on a neutral court but our season ticket holders would lose their minds since the Big 4 already cost them a home game.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
That's demonstrably false. People have walked us through that time and again.
To take that next step as a program, step up the schedule a little bit. Not that hard.

Or schedule Golden State. Everyone wants to play Durant.

It doesn't take much research to find that every school plays multiple sub 200 teams.

Trying to schedule is hard enough... trying to schedule AND predict how a mid major might finish in the RPI just isn't feasible and using last years RPI to schedule for this year is complete incompetence.

ISU wants to take the next step as a program? Have success in March and get into these neutral court showcase games.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
If we can beat Missouri on Friday night, I hope I don't forget to bring up the outcome to my overbearing Missouri co-workers on Monday. They apparently turned into John Wooden's UCLA dynasty these past few months.

Do we know for sure this game will be at night? Planning on heading over there with a bunch of Mizzou co-workers. Doesn't ESPN do a marathon of games on opening day, so there is a chance this game could really be at any time?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Do we know for sure this game will be at night? Planning on heading over there with a bunch of Mizzou co-workers. Doesn't ESPN do a marathon of games on opening day, so there is a chance this game could really be at any time?
The tip off marathon is always the Monday/Tuesday leading up to the Champions Classic that Tuesday night so you'll be good

My guess is ISU/Mizzou will be a 7pm tip off on ESPN with the BYU - UNLV football game on after.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I'm pretty sure that usually happens earlier in the week.

Edit: Messi beat me to it

• Informative
Reactions: chuckd4735

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Seems like they are again short on non con games. Only 11 before the conference season starts? Seems like most teams get in 12. If I recall, they had the same issue last season.

NCAA only allows you to play either 27 or 29 games outside of the exempt tourneys, and you can only play a max of 31 total games. Since the tourney we are playing in is only 3 games, we could only schedule 27 other games. 18 conference games, and 9 non-con games outside of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.

• Informative
Reactions: rholtgraves

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Going into CSP'S 3rd season at ISU, it seems to me his teams are slow out of the gate. Look how much better Young and Jackson were playing at the end of the year than at the start. I think CSP is a great coach but it just takes time for some reason for him to get his teams up to their potential.

So I would not expect a win at Missouri and those tournament games, anything can happen. Iowa is just our 8th game of the year and we will still not be fully in gear yet for that one. Mad Fran, to his credit, his teams play well pretty much from day one. If anything, they deteriorate as the season goes on, but boy they can beat you in November or December. Thus our home games with them always seem to be close. So obviously I am hoping for the best but even though this schedule is fairly soft, I hate to say it but I think we will have 3 to 4 losses in there. Please (CSP and his Cyclones) prove me wrong.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I would say L to USC and Iowa. Beat UNI and I'm 50/50 on mizzou. I like having them first game new coach but they def have more talent overall.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Going into CSP'S 3rd season at ISU, it seems to me his teams are slow out of the gate. Look how much better Young and Jackson were playing at the end of the year than at the start. I think CSP is a great coach but it just takes time for some reason for him to get his teams up to their potential.

So I would not expect a win at Missouri and those tournament games, anything can happen. Iowa is just our 8th game of the year and we will still not be fully in gear yet for that one. Mad Fran, to his credit, his teams play well pretty much from day one. If anything, they deteriorate as the season goes on, but boy they can beat you in November or December. Thus our home games with them always seem to be close. So obviously I am hoping for the best but even though this schedule is fairly soft, I hate to say it but I think we will have 3 to 4 losses in there. Please (CSP and his Cyclones) prove me wrong.

You lost me when you left reality behind.

Fran's teams play well?
3-4 losses in there. Goodbye, tournament. Nobody worthwhile loses more than 1 with this schedule (and we won't).

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton