Jeff Grayer Dunk thread...just because

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
There was a game at home one time where Hornacek through a lob to Grayer and I thought it was too high and a turnover, but it seemed like Grayer went in to the rafters to retrieve it and slam it home. Anyone remember the game, or better yet have video?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Was he on McDoormats last coaching staff?

For like five months but was not retained by Hoiberg as a real "coach".

ESPN from 2010: http://www.espn.com/ncb/news/story?id=5496055

AMES, Iowa -- Jeff Grayer is leaving his job as an administrative assistant to Iowa State basketball coach Fred Hoiberg, saying he wants to return home to Michigan to be closer to his family.

Grayer, the Cyclones career scoring leader, was hired as an assistant coach by former head coach Greg McDermott last spring. When Hoiberg was hired in April, he did not offer Grayer an assistant coaching job.

Grayer, who is from Flint, Mich., said Tuesday that he wants to coach and it's in his family's best interest for him to return home.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
This is my favorite Grayer dunk of all time. I remember Jeff had hurt his knee and was in so much pain that night, but he put on one hell of a show for the fans from his home state.

We got reffed so hard in that game. Lost by one, but Grayer had made a three they counted as a two, replays showed he was behind the line.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
His dunk at Keumper was the greatest

I was 1 at the time but I assume in today's bball culture he would have a bunch more dunk highlights. That was amazing how much he elevated. One-hand dunks are easier and more visually appealing (see Rahshon Clark).

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I know there are a lot of young people who have only watched video of Grayer, but I have been watching ISU MBB games since 1971, and Jeff Grayer is the best player I have seen at ISU, no question. He was so fun to watch.

Yep, from the game winning jump shot against Drake as a freshman to his last home game against Colorado where he was in his words "solid" with 30 points 15 rebounds 5 assists and 5 steals (I think), he's the best I've ever seen at Iowa State

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I know there are a lot of young people who have only watched video of Grayer, but I have been watching ISU MBB games since 1971, and Jeff Grayer is the best player I have seen at ISU, no question. He was so fun to watch.

No doubt. Guy was at a whole other level. Special, special player.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Grayer had such an awesome mid range game. He was one of those guys that just seemed to be so smooth most of the time. Then out of nowhere he would elevate and throw down a power dunk. It is too bad he hurt his knee, he might have been an NBA All Star.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcyclonee