ISU Softball coach Jamie Trachsel to Minnesota

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
She wasn't even the best coach in our program so I'm not too upset, though I'm hearing he isn't a part of the program anymore as they were butting heads.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
And with how much attention JP gives track and cross country, which draw zero attention unless they do something productive, it would be nice if he'd try and do something productive with our soccer and softball programs.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
She was definitely and up and coming coach, who also understood how to develop pitchers, which is key to turning around a program. Iowa State fans would support Softball I bet if it started winning. This was a big loss IMO, but maybe JP will find another.
Adding lights so they could play evening games would help too? You know, like most teams have?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think she was doing well, I'm sorry she left because she seemed to have the team improving, from what you'd read. That being said after FB, MBB, WBB, VB, and wrestling it's really hardtop get much fan support generated. I really don't know what it will take to drive attendance in the other sports winning would help but I still think it's an uphill battle to get people to come.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think she was doing well, I'm sorry she left because she seemed to have the team improving, from what you'd read. That being said after FB, MBB, WBB, VB, and wrestling it's really hardtop get much fan support generated. I really don't know what it will take to drive attendance in the other sports winning would help but I still think it's an uphill battle to get people to come.

We live in town and it is hard to make games when we have our own that play softball. Games are often weekday afternoons (have practice) or weekends (have tournaments). Another way to generate interest is have camps and such like VB and WBB do. She had one winter camp. The previous coaching staff offered lessons you could take, which we did with our softball player.

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
Sad to see coach go. She seemed to have things moving in a better direction. She was Midwest focused in recruiting and in some weird way I was hoping that the leaving of the Minny coach might give us some outside chance at getting Lindaman or Fiser to transfer in. Those hopes are dashed now. Hopefully JP can get another good Midwestern up and comer for the job. Just think if someone could have kept Lindaman, Fiser, Wiebel and Lowary at home. What about the Associate Head Coach at Minny? Ties to successful Minnesota and Michigan programs.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
And with how much attention JP gives track and cross country, which draw zero attention unless they do something productive, it would be nice if he'd try and do something productive with our soccer and softball programs.
You mean that soccer program that was the first school out of the NCAA tournament field last year and returns a good chunk of that roster? Pretty strong season last year to want a coaching change but since you follow closely, I am sure you know that

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
You mean that soccer program that was the first school out of the NCAA tournament field last year and returns a good chunk of that roster? Pretty strong season last year to want a coaching change but since you follow closely, I am sure you know that

I'm not asking for a coaching change - I'm saying our Athletic Department pays little attention to these programs.

Minatta wouldn't even be our coach had it not been for unfortunate circumstances for the previous coach. Minatta, in my opinion, could've had this position much earlier than 2013, but instead we decided to hire the young up and comer, Dillinger, who proved to be a disaster.

Jamie Pinkerton is a former assistant for Iowa State softball. He went to the postseason as the head coach for Arkansas and I believe was also an assistant for Team USA softball before coming to Iowa State as an assistant. More than qualified to be the head coach at Iowa State University but was never given the chance. Then he decided to START UP a program for the first time at Montana University and in year 3, they made the NCAA Softball Tournament.

Randy Schneider gets 0 credit for his efforts this year. Anyone who paid attention to Iowa State softball realizes they won a lot of games because of their base running. He was the base running coach and hitting coach and, while most head coaches in college softball occupy third base, he was the third base coach. However, sounds like he isn't going to be given the opportunity to be a HC either because he was taken off the coaches roster on our website a week ago.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
I misunderstood you, I apologize. I totally agree with your insights. Bummed about Jamie leaving, did Randy leave because he knew she was leaving or because he really wanted to be home more?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I misunderstood you, I apologize. I totally agree with your insights. Bummed about Jamie leaving, did Randy leave because he knew she was leaving or because he really wanted to be home more?

No problem, I wasn't clear.

The one person I talk to claims he wasn't seeing eye to eye with Jamie all year and it was a falling out of sorts, which stinks because he was a great coach.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Afte just one year as head coach, Jamie Trachsel is being announced as the new head coach at the University of Minnesota. She is a Minnesota native and went to school at St. Cloud State. For those of us who follow softball, this one hurts a little. There was some promise after improving parts of the program. Will be interesting to see who JP can bring in now.

Well, that explains Coach Schneider disappearing from the athletics website too. Coach Jamie has big shoes to fill at Minnesota. Jessica Allister is a good one.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Shame we were moving in the right direction. This felt like a CJL turning point hire for this program. I hope the next coach can keep the momentum going.

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
Can Schneider recruit? Is Coach Scneider head coach material? I am really interested to see who JP can hire. I think State is in a great position to really improve especially with in-state recruits. Coach Trachsel got the program pointing in the correct direction. I don't follow UNI's program to know how they are doing. Iowa is a mess and it doesn't seem to be improving. Barta won't be making a change either, especially after the result of the recent lawsuits. Any memories of the Blevins era have all but passed with players in-state due to Loopers poor results and lack of intetest in in-state recruits.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Jamie Pinkerton is a former assistant for Iowa State softball. He went to the postseason as the head coach for Arkansas and I believe was also an assistant for Team USA softball before coming to Iowa State as an assistant. More than qualified to be the head coach at Iowa State University but was never given the chance. Then he decided to START UP a program for the first time at Montana University and in year 3, they made the NCAA Softball Tournament.
Well, he has his chance now...

http://cyclones.com/news/2017/8/2/pinkerton-named-iowa-state-softball-coach.aspx

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm not asking for a coaching change - I'm saying our Athletic Department pays little attention to these programs.

Minatta wouldn't even be our coach had it not been for unfortunate circumstances for the previous coach. Minatta, in my opinion, could've had this position much earlier than 2013, but instead we decided to hire the young up and comer, Dillinger, who proved to be a disaster.

Randy Schneider gets 0 credit for his efforts this year. Anyone who paid attention to Iowa State softball realizes they won a lot of games because of their base running. He was the base running coach and hitting coach and, while most head coaches in college softball occupy third base, he was the third base coach. However, sounds like he isn't going to be given the opportunity to be a HC either because he was taken off the coaches roster on our website a week ago.

Jamie Pinkerton was named as the new HC. (To add to all the Jamie confusion here . . . )

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Seems like s good hire. Curious as to why he'd leave a HC job at Arkansas to Ben assistant at Iowa state in 2010.