ISU Softball coach Jamie Trachsel to Minnesota

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Afte just one year as head coach, Jamie Trachsel is being announced as the new head coach at the University of Minnesota. She is a Minnesota native and went to school at St. Cloud State. For those of us who follow softball, this one hurts a little. There was some promise after improving parts of the program. Will be interesting to see who JP can bring in now.

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone and Cypwr

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Afte just one year as head coach, Jamie Trachsel is being announced as the new head coach at the University of Minnesota. She is a Minnesota native and went to school at St. Cloud State. For those of us who follow softball, this one hurts a little. There was some promise after improving parts of the program. Will be interesting to see who JP can bring in now.
Wow that is a good step up after 1 year. Minnesota won the big 10 last year and qualified for the NCAA Regionals.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
That's a bummer as the team looked to be improving but it's tough to fault someone for taking the opportunity to coach their hometown (state) team.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Are you a big softball fan? Attend all the home games?

It's disappointing because she seemed to be a good coach. But I'm not s softball fan so I don't see getting angry over it.
I would think JP is kinda upset - don't you? Leaving for another job after just one year is pretty low IMO. She didn't even play there.
On the other hand, she inherits a program with tons of talent, and great fan support, which she didn't have here...

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneWarning

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I would think JP is kinda upset - don't you? Leaving for another job after just one year is pretty low IMO. She didn't even play there.
On the other hand, she inherits a program with tons of talent, and great fan support, which she didn't have here...

It's probably her ONE TRUE DREAM in life to coach there. Who can complain about this?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It's probably her ONE TRUE DREAM in life to coach there. Who can complain about this?
Well, I doubt that. You know, if national powers like OU, Florida, UCLA, Ariz, etc. came calling, she would have left for them too. And would have called it a "dream" come true.
Just saying that she always talked about "team" and "family" since she came here, and about her long-range plans for ISU. It's just coach-speak.
However, softball here is tough. Can't really blame her. Their coach who left for Stanford made Minn big-time. We have a new decent facility, but it's very tough in this conference to win, and we don't even charge admission to home games! Talk about low-key...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Gotta ask, anyone on our current team or coming in that is good enough to play for the Gophers? Softball is one of the no sit out transfer sports.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Are you a big softball fan? Attend all the home games?

It's disappointing because she seemed to be a good coach. But I'm not s softball fan so I don't see getting angry over it.

No. No. I'm not angry

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I would doubt it - Allister had stockpiled loads of talent prior to leaving for Stanford.

From up here in Minnesota land I was going to guess no, but I don't follow the ISU squad much other than checking into to see how Emma Haylen was doing.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
No brainer move for a coach if offered like that. Minnesota should have been a #1 seed this year and have lots returning.
Maybe was a no-brainer for her - softball is a much bigger sport at Minnesota, and the great Gopher fan support that has been built would impress any coaching candidate.
No way was Trachsel their first choice though. Or maybe not second or third or...

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Maybe was a no-brainer for her - softball is a much bigger sport at Minnesota, and the great Gopher fan support that has been built would impress any coaching candidate.
No way was Trachsel their first choice though. Or maybe not second or third or...

The Gopher forum fans so far seem to be pretty happy with the hire. Last go around they had a slew of coaches turn them down before they "settled" for Jessica Allister and struck gold.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
She was definitely and up and coming coach, who also understood how to develop pitchers, which is key to turning around a program. Iowa State fans would support Softball I bet if it started winning. This was a big loss IMO, but maybe JP will find another.