Some Metrics on Jacob Park

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
For anyone curious about how Iowa.

View attachment 48923

Banks may have gotten a shot in today's NFL as a backup like Trevone Boykin with Seattle. Didn't really do much in the CFL, he was traded for Kliff Kingsbury apparently though. Tate is still a CFL backup. Chuck Long was a pretty big bust playing and coaching.
Banks was mediocre for the barnstormers not that long ago. He was trash.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Valid points. And You suggested to this OP in a nice way, not jumping on him. So good job. Yes, most of us do NOT want to hear about UI at the drop of a hat. That gets old in a hurry.

Thank you. I am not religious, but it seems to me the Golden Rule is worthwhile. I try to follow it, as do others here (including yourself, you've taken a hit or two on your uniform postings and responded admirably). But, at times I fail, usually in the face of overt rudeness. . . .

Reactions: t-noah

colin_jokeo

Jul 11, 2017
Iowa City, IA
I agree. The only knock on Park that I see is that he can sometimes hang around too long in the pocket and is willing to throw into coverage and rush his throw if he feels the rush coming. His raw tools are off the charts though. He should have a great year.

The Texas Tech game was pretty telling. Mahomes couldn't get anything done while Park could.

I think Seneca has the single season passing record at 3200 yards? Need to double check but Park should eclipse that.

The sack thing feels like it should improve with experience. Unless he's got some Jay Cutler in him

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
You have to look at it from an outside perspective. He's playing for a school with no tradition and he only started a handful of games. He will get his accolades this year, once he's proven it. Who cares about hype anyways? Jeremy Johnson had a TON of it and that didn't make him perform.
I agree to a point, but if you are doing a QB story on Big 12 QB's, about 5 minutes of research would turn up the probable starters (10) along with their previous stats...about 5 more minutes turns up the receivers and line prospects...simply laziness on the writer's part. Remember too that hype has a place...gets ISU out in the view of potential recruits...we got nothing for Parks while KU gets mention with their QB despite a crappier record than ISU the past 3+ years. Enough venting...6 weeks to game time!!!!

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Good to see (that his stats are solid).

I am looking forward to seeing him after running with the #1s in spring and fall camp. I have a feeling his success will depend a lot on that fine "mental" line of making plays vs making smart plays (throwing it away, scrambling, etc).

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Ah okay, next time I'll compare to B12 schools and just leave out the other school. Figured it'd be easy to put a face to the metrics with a long time known opponent.
I'll be honest, I'd rather read about the EIU comparison than a bunch of posts from people overreacting to it from the first few posts onward. I was actually curious to see where Park compared to Beathard.

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
Park is also a really nice guy. I have met a lot of ISU basketball and football players over the years, but he was one of the nicest. I ran into him at Perkins the Sunday after the TCU game last year where he was starting to play a lot but wasn't the starter. He talked to me and my daughter and 11 year old son for at least 10 minutes. He then posed with a picture with them. I hope the O line comes together this year and gives him some protection. With our receiver corps and running backs, we could have a decent year.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Park is also a really nice guy. I have met a lot of ISU basketball and football players over the years, but he was one of the nicest. I ran into him at Perkins the Sunday after the TCU game last year where he was starting to play a lot but wasn't the starter. He talked to me and my daughter and 11 year old son for at least 10 minutes. He then posed with a picture with them. I hope the O line comes together this year and gives him some protection. With our receiver corps and running backs, we could have a decent year.
Wouldn't be surprised that the route he had to take to get here humbled him quite a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: JVAR

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Unfortunately, 200 attempts in the scenarios we found ourselves in last season is too small and irrelevant of a sample size.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays if/when he gets us to 3-0 playing on a big stage. Say, this year vs Texas.

Things are just different when your back isn't against the wall and you're just out there slinging it with nothing to lose.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
A couple of the analytics blogs I read are anticipating ISU being a mid-60s team this year after finishing 80th last year. They're actually projecting our most likely records as 6-6 or 5-7. That would be very solid improvement from year 1 to 2.

Brian Fremeau gives us a 40% chance of 6-6 or better.

Last edited:
Reactions: isutrevman

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)

anigif_enhanced-2524-1451418354-2.gif

Reactions: cyfan21

colin_jokeo

Jul 11, 2017
Iowa City, IA
Unfortunately, 200 attempts in the scenarios we found ourselves in last season is too small and irrelevant of a sample size.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays if/when he gets us to 3-0 playing on a big stage. Say, this year vs Texas.

Things are just different when your back isn't against the wall and you're just out there slinging it with nothing to lose.

As a baseball metrics guy, I had thought this too. Finding proper a sample size in football in general is sort of a fool's errand (13 games max) BUT as I looked over the B12 QBs, these seemed to normalize quickly.

Since I couldn't sleep in today, decided to run the B12 numbers on a per game and cumulative basis. Skipped KU since they had 3 QBs >100 atts and skipped Baylor because...I honestly forgot about them.

B12_YPA_1.JPG

B12_YPA_2.JPG

Color conditioned on the per game AY/A to show their good games and bad games. Green conditioned on the cumulative to try to show when the numbers normalize.

Baker and Rudolph were solid throughout. Mahomes blew up against some terrible teams in the first 4 weeks but then tapered off. The QBs with >400 yards rushing were pretty average throughout. Hill and Shane tapered off as the schedule got difficult.

Now Park did not play against UNI or Baylor. Those games should have been a boon to his final result (and whole game against San Jose). TTech was a boon and he did okay against KSU + Oklahoma. We'll see if he can improve against Iowa, OK St and Texas.

I'd be hard pressed to call Park's 200 attempts irrelevant.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

View attachment 48923

Banks may have gotten a shot in today's NFL as a backup like Trevone Boykin with Seattle. Didn't really do much in the CFL, he was traded for Kliff Kingsbury apparently though. Tate is still a CFL backup. Chuck Long was a pretty big bust playing and coaching.

No I am not curious about Iowa.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008

Nothing to lose? Not playing to win? Not concerned about doing his best for his teammates? His coaches? No pressure with those things on his mind?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Don't try to use facts to defend Park. That writer from OU thinks he's junk so he must be.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I've never slept on Park I've been the biggest Park guy on here since day 1. Glad everyone is finally coming around.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Love me some Jacob Park..People rating these QB's acros country and big 12 Qb's clearly didnt watch the last 6-7 games last year. When you consider Park had basically no training camp and was just thrown into the fire week 2 it is amazing he had the year he had..tells you the drive and talent he has.

If the OL can stay healthy i think Park will have a chance to shatter passing record before he's done at ISU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron