**2017 Cap City Thread**

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Its not just that..I played College bball..and when you are at a diff level than your opponent bad things can happen..not saying this is the case but its a higher risk than it would be practicing with your peers. Its like a 20 yr old college player playing pick up game vs some 45 yr old wanna be trying to step in take a charge to relive the glory days etc..its just different.

You cant keep players in a bubble no..but u can sure minimize the risk.
Your comments are correct. I always said I would quit playing before I played against people who do not know what they are doing.
That aside ... I was at the game tonight. From what I could see, Lewis made a nice drive to the basket and scored. He was not bumped or undercut, I did not see any contact. I think he just came down wrong, although it could have happened when he went up. He took about 4/5 running, limping steps and went down. It is his left knee. The trainer worked on him a long time, doing the usual twisting and torquing on his knee that you do to check for ligaments. I have no idea what was concluded. They wrapped a bag of ice on his knee, and eventually he hobbled back to his teams bench. I imagine there will be a thorough exam in Ames tomorrow unless it happened tonight. I should not speculate, but Lewis was not acting distraught - I am guessing the on site evaluation may be a sprain or strain.

Reactions: CyTwins

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
His CCL coach said after the game that the trainer felt there was nothing major wrong with Lewis's knee. He said Lewis was pretty scared at first and the trainer was trying to calm him down and let him know everything seemed fine.

I hope the trainer knew what he was talking about.
Thanks for the update, hope this is true
His CCL coach said after the game that the trainer felt there was nothing major wrong with Lewis's knee. He said Lewis was pretty scared at first and the trainer was trying to calm him down and let him know everything seemed fine.

I hope the trainer knew what he was talking about.
thanks for the update, hope this is true. Although he had a poor jump shooting night, he played a really good game. Seems to have a knack for finding the ball. Drove to hoop pretty effectively, finished well. I see him as a classic 3 all the way. Needs to improve his ball handling and dribbling skills ... which I am sure he will.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Anybody at the game see how Lewis injured his knee? Hopefully, that report was correct and its not major.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Its not just that..I played College bball..and when you are at a diff level than your opponent bad things can happen..not saying this is the case but its a higher risk than it would be practicing with your peers. Its like a 20 yr old college player playing pick up game vs some 45 yr old wanna be trying to step in take a charge to relive the glory days etc..its just different.

You cant keep players in a bubble no..but u can sure minimize the risk.
plus as Prohm has said before it doesn't really help the players in development. He would rather have them in Ames working on their games. How many other schools do these rec leagues?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
plus as Prohm has said before it doesn't really help the players in development. He would rather have them in Ames working on their games. How many other schools do these rec leagues?

In some ways a detriment , I think you've seen the last of both leagues.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
If Lewis was untouched and came down awkward and dropped in pain I hope to God I'm wrong but that worries me.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If Lewis is hurt, I hope people realize it's not the CCL's fault. He could have gotten hurt on any court playing pickup ball. There are at least trainers ect at the CCL.

If ISU decides its players aren't playing in the league anymore, I can't see a reason for it to even exist. It really is a cool thing for the fans. My kids didn't care about ISU basketball until getting to see up close some of the players. Especially with rising prices and busy schedules during the season, it's a great way to beat the heat in the summer.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Not sure the trainer could make that diagnosis on site but I hope it is correct. And I know for sure his CCL coach doesn't know anything. ;)

Lewis did seem really scared when he initially went down and the trainer and Derek Hannah who runs the league did a great job of calming him down and getting him iced up etc. Fingers crossed it was just a strain/hyper extension and nothing serious.

Injuries like that are really rare in the Cap City league. To see both Lewis and DeTae McMurray (sprained ankle) go down in one night is something that just doesn't happen. While I get the point of different skill levels leading to injury, last night that wasn't the case. All the guys on the court for both teams, with maybe one or two exceptions, knew how to play. Just a freak thing that happened. And it could have happened just as easily in a pick up game at Sukup without a trainer on hand.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

The league doesn't impact them working on their own gam at all. They show up and play pick up ball. That's all.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Not sure the trainer could make that diagnosis on site but I hope it is correct. And I know for sure his CCL coach doesn't know anything. ;)

Lewis did seem really scared when he initially went down and the trainer and Derek Hannah who runs the league did a great job of calming him down and getting him iced up etc. Fingers crossed it was just a strain/hyper extension and nothing serious.

Injuries like that are really rare in the Cap City league. To see both Lewis and DeTae McMurray (sprained ankle) go down in one night is something that just doesn't happen. While I get the point of different skill levels leading to injury, last night that wasn't the case. All the guys on the court for both teams, with maybe one or two exceptions, knew how to play. Just a freak thing that happened. And it could have happened just as easily in a pick up game at Sukup without a trainer on hand.

Yep. The only other injury I remember is Garrett.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

I could not see what was happening at first with the trainer. I am sure he was scared. When something you have worked so long and hard for is jeopardized it can be scary.
Like I said earlier, they must have done a good job of comforting him, because he did not seem very upset as he moved to the bench. The kid is a very talented player, sure hope this comes out good. I do agree, in this case, it's just something that happened, and could have happened At an ISU practice.