***Official USMNT Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
So uh, MLS rejected a $4 Billion, 10 year media right offer from Ricardo Silva's firm (Billionaire Owner of NASL's Miami FC) but only if they open up the system and allow promotion/relegation, MLS obviously saying no,

Pro/Rel Truthers are mad as hell because of course they are because they rejected Pro/Rel and rejecting it for any reason is "Detrimental to the sport"

ESPN is saying it was rejected because due to the current deal, they're not allowed to discuss rights until 2021 and the current TV Rights contract expires until 2023

I just want to note, Miami FC is still in the Open Cup, QF vs FC Cleveland and Silva has done some trolling in the past regarding pro rel.

Might not be totally relevant but it's something to note right now IMO.

Article in question if you want to look at it
http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...-hinged-on-promotion-and-relegation?appsrc=sc

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
So uh, MLS rejected a $4 Billion, 10 year media right offer from Ricardo Silva's firm (Billionaire Owner of NASL's Miami FC) but only if they open up the system and allow promotion/relegation, MLS obviously saying no,

Pro/Rel Truthers are mad as hell because of course they are because they rejected Pro/Rel and rejecting it for any reason is "Detrimental to the sport"

ESPN is saying it was rejected because due to the current deal, they're not allowed to discuss rights until 2021 and the current TV Rights contract expires until 2023

I just want to note, Miami FC is still in the Open Cup, QF vs FC Cleveland and Silva has done some trolling in the past regarding pro rel.

Might not be totally relevant but it's something to note right now IMO.

Article in question if you want to look at it
http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...-hinged-on-promotion-and-relegation?appsrc=sc

Yeah, it wouldn't make much sense to sign a 10 year deal right now if it doesn't even take effect for another 6 years.

Plus, I don't think it'd make sense to blow up your entire system for an extra 10-15 million dollars a year per team. Especially when you have new teams trying to buy in at 250 million dollars at the moment and that's only going to rise.

Also, it's FC Cincinnati.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think the deal was just Ricardo Silva negging the MLS. He knew it wouldn't get signed, but at least throw out ideas/situations that you want to see in the MLS to get the wheels turning.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
USMNT striker Dom Dwyer is on the move to Orlando from Kansas City for a record fee between two MLS teams.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
USMNT striker Dom Dwyer is on the move to Orlando from Kansas City for a record fee between two MLS teams.

Interesting. I wonder if this means Orlando has something in the works for Larin. I know there have been rumors of him making the move to Europe.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
What do you guys think about pro/rel ?

In theory, I'd love to see it in the US. I just don't see how it's ever going to happen.

MLS is talking about selling new franchises for over $200 million. How do you go to existing owners and potential new owners and get them on board with pro/rel? Sure we will sell you a new club for $200m, and if you don't perform well right out of the gate you're going to get relegated and lose your revenues. Who in their right mind would sign up for that?

The only way I could see pro/rel becoming a reality is to strengthen the lower tiers of the pyramid. You would need USL and NASL to continue to develop and strengthen their respective leagues with the eventual goal of forming a two tier system with pro/rel included. Those two leagues then would need to support the truly ambitious clubs playing in that universe. Eventually, you would hope that the top of that second tier would develop into something that can rival MLS. At that point, you might be able to coerce MLS into joining the pro/rel pyramid. But MLS owners aren't going to volunteer for it unless there's something else out there that they view as a threat.

The sports landscape is drastically different in the US and the hardcore pro/rel devotees brush that fact aside far too easily. Professional soccer has existed in Europe for well over 100 years. The tiered system was developed organically over that time period. If somebody could wave a magic wand and institute pro/rel in the US that would be amazing, but it's not realistic.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
See shaggy's post above. I would add that I think many of the casual fans would love to see promotion and relegation, but the practical effects / ownership structure wouldn't allow for it.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
In theory, I'd love to see it in the US. I just don't see how it's ever going to happen.

MLS is talking about selling new franchises for over $200 million. How do you go to existing owners and potential new owners and get them on board with pro/rel? Sure we will sell you a new club for $200m, and if you don't perform well right out of the gate you're going to get relegated and lose your revenues. Who in their right mind would sign up for that?

The only way I could see pro/rel becoming a reality is to strengthen the lower tiers of the pyramid. You would need USL and NASL to continue to develop and strengthen their respective leagues with the eventual goal of forming a two tier system with pro/rel included. Those two leagues then would need to support the truly ambitious clubs playing in that universe. Eventually, you would hope that the top of that second tier would develop into something that can rival MLS. At that point, you might be able to coerce MLS into joining the pro/rel pyramid. But MLS owners aren't going to volunteer for it unless there's something else out there that they view as a threat.

The sports landscape is drastically different in the US and the hardcore pro/rel devotees brush that fact aside far too easily. Professional soccer has existed in Europe for well over 100 years. The tiered system was developed organically over that time period. If somebody could wave a magic wand and institute pro/rel in the US that would be amazing, but it's not realistic.

Honestly, I'd rather the NASL/USL and MLS form a single league similar to baseball or football have done. Creates a much more stable platform for investment in teams.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

It's been a hot topic for a few days around here. The general feeling is that Sporting is now dealing directly with Orlando to acquire the top allocation spot in order to bring back Nemeth. He's working on finalizing his release from his Qatari club.

My daughter got a chance to meet his wife during a soccer camp last weekend. I'm wondering if she'll try for a trade to the Orlando Pride. They already have Marta and Alex Morgan, not to mention Ali Krieger. I'm not sure if there is room for another striker, but I'm sure they'd love to add Leroux.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Honestly, I'd rather the NASL/USL and MLS form a single league similar to baseball or football have done. Creates a much more stable platform for investment in teams.
I guess you lost me at Football. What would you like them to do? Baseball has the most expansive farm/feeder system of all of the sports. I guess, my thought was if they were to have a rel/pro system it would have to be with the NASL/USL teams, as they are already in place.

For players, it seems like the system they have in place works well so they can loan players to teams for seasons, if they aren't going to play or want to give them more time, but can recall them at different times as well.

Maybe that isn't how it is set up for every team at this time, but I've been told that is the first step in that direction. My buddy is on the Chicago Fire and plays D for them, but being behind Johan Kappelhof has caused him to be put out on loan the past season and a half. But he was brought up in situations throughout the year. He felt it was a great situation for him, as he thought he probably wouldn't be able to contain the Giovinco's and Depsey's of the world at this point. And he was only in St Louis so he could make the drive up to Toyota Park if they needed him to suit up.

I think a G-League type set up is a good system for the development of US soccer players, not sure how it would fare for the money-makers in the MLS though. They would have to take their lumps and promote USL/NASL teams for the first couple years until they establish the teams that will be going up and down, kinda like how the EPL has teams in the Championship that are the longest shot ever to reach the EPL, but they need to fill out that level with teams that can sustain.

Last edited: