Golf: The Open Championship

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not sure how I feel about this. It's insane, that's for sure.

I've been rooting for Kuch all day, and I feel for him right now because I don't think anyone should be given that much time to play a hole, it's not really fair IMO. Isn't there some rule about how long you can look for a lost ball? If so, shouldn't there be something similar for just the amount of time allowed to play a shot? 20+ mins seems WAY too long for Kuchar to have to just sit there and tighten up.

And as it turns out, Spieth, even though losing that hole, has picked up the momentum from it, and now is playing great again. I really won't mind either way who wins, as long as it's Spieth or Kuchar, but I'd prefer to see Kuchar win his first major.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I've been rooting for Kuch all day, and I feel for him right now because I don't think anyone should be given that much time to play a hole, it's not really fair IMO. Isn't there some rule about how long you can look for a lost ball? If so, shouldn't there be something similar for just the amount of time allowed to play a shot? 20+ mins seems WAY too long for Kuchar to have to just sit there and tighten up.

And as it turns out, Spieth, even though losing that hole, has picked up the momentum from it, and now is playing great again. I really won't mind either way who wins, as long as it's Spieth or Kuchar, but I'd prefer to see Kuchar win his first major.

So in the USGA rules of golf, it does state you have 5 mins to look for a lost golf ball. I know Spieth's ball wasn't lost, but you would think that this rule was set up to not only keep pace of play up, but it is a disadvantage to the other golfers as well.

Not sure why there wouldn't be some kind of time limit, say 10 mins, to play a shot.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I guess the fact that all of the TV equipment and trailers were the reason he took so long to find a spot gives him a break. Perhaps those need to sit out of bounds in the furniture to avoid this?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This just doesn't feel right at all. Kudos to Spieth for what he's been able to do on the last 2 holes, but he was playing like total garbage and was able to use 20+ mins of down time to regroup, while Kuchar had to sit and wait.

With as stupid as some rules in golf are, you'd think taking more than 20 mins to play a shot would be a rule.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Spieth opened the door a bit with that tee shot, but Kuchar didn't take advantage of it.

Still feel really bad for Kuchar having to sit on a towel in the fairway and wait 20+ mins for Spieth to figure out what he was going to do. Doesn't sit right at all with me.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I guess the fact that all of the TV equipment and trailers were the reason he took so long to find a spot gives him a break. Perhaps those need to sit out of bounds in the furniture to avoid this?

Maybe nobody figured they needed to actually label the practice range as "out of bounds".

• Funny
Reactions: DurangoCy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Maybe nobody figured they needed to actually label the practice range as "out of bounds".

At the 2 courses nearest my house that I play the most often, the practice range is OB on both of them, as it should be.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I like Spieth and I think he's an incredible player and a great dude. I have a huge problem with his pace of play (as I do with a lot of guys) in general. I didn't see this whole scenario but I listened to it and it sounded ridiculous.