Dunkirk - The Movie

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Big Nolan fan here. In fact, he is one of my favorite directors right now, right up there with Spielberg and the Russo Bros. With that said, I saw Dunkirk last night with really high expectations and actually walked away thinking it was just decent and maybe even a little disappointed. Truthfully, part of the problem was probably that the movie was not what I was expecting. This movie is NOT like a Saving Private Ryan with lots of dialogue and a throughput touching story. It isn't trying to be either. Nolan is obviously going for a completely different War/Dramatic experience with this movie, where he is attempting to immerse the audience as best he can into what it actually feels like to be out there in this battle/retreat. Therefore, there is lots of running around, lots of first-person views, and truthfully, a lot of nothingness downtime. While I appreciated the new angle he was going for and the new perspective that angle gives, I actually found it fairly hard to track and boring at times. For those comparing it to Saving Private Ryan, it is only comparable in the first Saving Private Ryan beach scene, only with that beach scene being stretched out for the entire length of the movie, and with significantly less action and very little dialogue. So in conclusion, I appreciated the new war experience Nolan gave us, I found the movie interesting from a historical perspective (didn't know much about Dunkirk before), but the movie lacked overall the character attachment and touching moments of many other war movies that I was hoping for. Again, I actually found myself bored at times due to the lack of these. Therefore, this movie was more an experience for me than an actual movie, which has its pluses and minuses. In conclusion, I still recommend this movie, but I wouldn't call it even close to one of the best war movies I've ever seen.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I saw a trailer of this at an Imax screen last Christmas where almost the entire trailer was a dog fight that put you in the cockpit of the plane. Definitely was incredible on a very big screen.

• Agree
Reactions: dahliaclone

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I saw a trailer of this at an Imax screen last Christmas where almost the entire trailer was a dog fight that put you in the cockpit of the plane. Definitely was incredible on a very big screen.

You can read my full review up above, and when it comes to the aerial dog fighting, there is a lot of it and Nolan probably does give you the best experience you've ever had of what it actually feels like to be a pilot up there in it. Consequently, that actual experience you get results in a lot of first-person slow turns, a lot of slowly lining up shots, a lot of misses, and truthfully, was a little slow and boring for me at times. However, that is the real life experience, which is cool at the same time. Its what Nolan is going for. Therefore, if you are expecting Top Gun up there, you might sorely be disappointed. You feel more like you are in a video-game flight simulator than anything.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Just got back from watching it in IMAX. I think that was probably the best depiction of what it's like to be in war that's ever been filmed. I felt uncomfortable about what was going to come next often. In terms of it being a great movie I'm not sure if it is. I think it relies on the actual event itself being an amazing story and doesn't really try to build on it or put the audience through a focused story.

Also what the hell was the point of the George kid? He brought nothing to the story whatsoever.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Dunkirk Review

Naturally, those humorless culture-killing religious fanatics of the diversity cult are complaining that Dunkirk is too white and too male, since not only must white men be engineered out of England’s future, they must be airbrushed out of her past. But Leftists are right to dislike this film. Unlike every other movie about the Second World War, Dunkirk does not serve as propaganda for multiculturalism. It is not a movie about those dirty, Jew-killing Germans, whose deeds — we are constantly told — are somehow the refutation of every nationalistic sentiment, even in the people who fought against them.

Instead, Dunkirk is a movie about England: about the patriotism, social solidarity, ingenuity, hard work, and bravery of countless humble white people whose primary mistake was to trust the leaders who delivered them into two World Wars and are now overseeing their replacement with the scum of the Third World. Leftists fear Dunkirkbecause it gives white men a glimpse of a nice white country we could someday restore, and the virtues we must find again if we are to defeat the real enemy this time.

e31.jpg

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I thought it was pretty powerful. It's definitely an assault on the senses and does its best to give you those feelings of fear and hopelessness. If you're going to see it, do it in the theater. I didn't think of the IMAX, that might have been a lot of head turning for me.

This movie won't be for everyone. It doesn't glorify anything but survival and bravery of the citizens. I thought it was interesting how "the enemy" was never shown. You obviously saw their planes but that was it. Just a faceless enemy. I thought it was great though. I really like Mark Rylance too. As I walked out of Bridge of Spies, I said I be he gets an oscar. I didn't have that feeling about this film, but enjoyed having him in it. Same with Tom Hardy.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I can but it's really one you should see just going in cold. It starts off with a bang, literally, and doesn't let up. Ever. It's basically the first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan but an entire movie albeit not gory at all despite many many deaths.

It's basically three story lines: land (a week), sea (a day) and air (one hour) and like all Nolan movies there is a time aspect where all these come together at the same moment and oof. It's ******* intense.

You never see the Germans. Just air raids and bullets and torpedos. It's a war movie but more about survival and the fisherman from England that took their ships across the channel to save 400k soldiers that were surrounded on the beach at Dunkirk.

The direction and cinematography are some of the best I've ever seen. Some of the shots Nolan used are just jaw dropping.

And be aware. There is very very little dialogue in the whole movie.

You can say that again. I got a small chuckle out of a few people around me when, after a scene where one character is basing accusations on the fact that another character "hasn't said a word this whole time," I said "Yeah? Neither has anyone else in this movie."

It wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting in terms of format and dialogue and it threw me off initially. I honestly would need to see it again, now that I know what to expect in those regards, before making a final judgement.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Great movie! Very intense entire time. Almost wish there was 15-20 minutes more, but maybe then I would've felt like it was 15-20 minutes too long. Will never know.

Hardy was perfect for his role. Had to read all about Spitfire fighters afterwards. There are still few that are airworthy.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I went last night, and was not disappointed. It took me a bit to figure out some of the scenes were out of sequence and some of the ultra close-ups started to give me motion sickness, which I never get. It reminded me of Argo, where I knew things were going to work out for them, but half way through I thought maybe we're only seeing the guys who die? Very suspenseful and like it a lot.

It's pretty crazy to think of how the large military ships were sitting ducks vs. the Luftwaffe and submarines, where the mini ships were ideal for this operation.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Wonderful movie. My dad never watched war movies because he felt that they glorified war, and his four years in the war in the Pacific were anything but glorious. I feel like he would have watched this one. My husband asked after the movie about Tommy grabbing the pamphlets and this was pretty obvious to me from my dad's description of some of the less glorious aspects of war. I felt the hunger and the thirst when that one poor guy drown still holding the cup they gave him with tea.

Will definitely go see it again. Wish I could ask my dad more questions. He didn't ever really discuss his experience until about six months before he died, but what came across was hunger, despair, confusion, terror, and camaraderie. Nobody gives a speech before sacrifice. The dearth of dialog was refreshing and realistic.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I can but it's really one you should see just going in cold. It starts off with a bang, literally, and doesn't let up. Ever. It's basically the first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan but an entire movie albeit not gory at all despite many many deaths.

It's basically three story lines: land (a week), sea (a day) and air (one hour) and like all Nolan movies there is a time aspect where all these come together at the same moment and oof. It's ******* intense.

You never see the Germans. Just air raids and bullets and torpedos. It's a war movie but more about survival and the fisherman from England that took their ships across the channel to save 400k soldiers that were surrounded on the beach at Dunkirk.

The direction and cinematography are some of the best I've ever seen. Some of the shots Nolan used are just jaw dropping.

And be aware. There is very very little dialogue in the whole movie.

My thoughts building on this...

-- I actually appreciated a war movie that did not glorify or stylize combat, but rather left it as it was... loud, chaotic, terrifying, capricious, often with no idea what is coming... I felt the lack of an R rating and some realistic, not gratuitous, violence held it back, however

-- while war movies traditionally depict most "war" as FPS-style infantry combat, that was simply not the experience of most fighting in the Great War and the World War, which were industrial wars on a mass scale beyond our sensibilities... 75% of casualties in the Great War were from artillery fire, which was as random and unpredictable as a meteorite striking you, not the "glorified" combat of "men and their rifles, sight-to-sight, muzzle-to-muzzle" as you mostly see

-- most men in these wars fought against, die from, and killed with weapons and implements that kept them far from their enemy... men hidden in armored vehicles or entrenched positions, airborne bombs, torpedoes, artillery, automatics and long-range precision semiautomatics... it was brutal and inhuman and industrial... this is what it felt like

-- maybe it is different now again, given the U.S. is mostly involved in brush fire wars that involve a lot of small unit, infantry combat and Special Forces, but that was not the case in 1940

-- I agree with other's comparisons -- this was like the opening battle scene in Saving Private Ryan, which had the same feel to it, stretched into a 90 minute film instead of 20 minutes of that followed by what was, basically, a pretty conventional WWII "important mission" action movie

-- Nolan did not try to develop his characters whatsoever, and is taking some flak for that, but I actually appreciated that here... never been his strong suit, though I think some of his work in this realm (and particularly for Interstellar in putting together a family drama cross multiple generations) is underappreciated and in The Prestige, but it would have not fit here

-- there are enough war movies out there with developed characters who will muse and wax poetically and philosophically on the nature of war (especially from the Vietnam era), why they fight, what death and sacrifice means, etc.; we have a quota of "war movies," I would almost call this film part of a select genre of "battle movies" that feel entirely different

-- surprise Tom Hardy at the end... no idea that was him...

-- the bottom-line of it... just try to survive, and do what you can to help in the meantime

8/10... behind Interstellar, The Prestige, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight in his canon for me... still an obviously great film held prisoner by my incredible expectations for Nolan... he is turning into the modern Kubrick for making one film in each genre, and each being a classic in its own way, and would be very curious to know where he is going to go next.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My thoughts building on this...

-- I actually appreciated a war movie that did not glorify or stylize combat, but rather left it as it was... loud, chaotic, terrifying, capricious, often with no idea what is coming... I felt the lack of an R rating and some realistic, not gratuitous, violence held it back, however

-- while war movies traditionally depict most "war" as FPS-style infantry combat, that was simply not the experience of most fighting in the Great War and the World War, which were industrial wars on a mass scale beyond our sensibilities... 75% of casualties in the Great War were from artillery fire, which was as random and unpredictable as a meteorite striking you, not the "glorified" combat of "men and their rifles, sight-to-sight, muzzle-to-muzzle" as you mostly see

-- most men in these wars fought against, die from, and killed with weapons and implements that kept them far from their enemy... men hidden in armored vehicles or entrenched positions, airborne bombs, torpedoes, artillery, automatics and long-range precision semiautomatics... it was brutal and inhuman and industrial... this is what it felt like

-- maybe it is different now again, given the U.S. is mostly involved in brush fire wars that involve a lot of small unit, infantry combat and Special Forces, but that was not the case in 1940

-- I agree with other's comparisons -- this was like the opening battle scene in Saving Private Ryan, which had the same feel to it, stretched into a 90 minute film instead of 20 minutes of that followed by what was, basically, a pretty conventional WWII "important mission" action movie

-- Nolan did not try to develop his characters whatsoever, and is taking some flak for that, but I actually appreciated that here... never been his strong suit, though I think some of his work in this realm (and particularly for Interstellar in putting together a family drama cross multiple generations) is underappreciated and in The Prestige, but it would have not fit here

-- there are enough war movies out there with developed characters who will muse and wax poetically and philosophically on the nature of war (especially from the Vietnam era), why they fight, what death and sacrifice means, etc.; we have a quota of "war movies," I would almost call this film part of a select genre of "battle movies" that feel entirely different

-- surprise Tom Hardy at the end... no idea that was him...

-- the bottom-line of it... just try to survive, and do what you can to help in the meantime

8/10... behind Interstellar, The Prestige, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight in his canon for me... still an obviously great film held prisoner by my incredible expectations for Nolan... he is turning into the modern Kubrick for making one film in each genre, and each being a classic in its own way, and would be very curious to know where he is going to go next.

I agree with a lot of your points although I am no expert on Nolan's films. I have seen the ones you mention but prefer this one and Interstellar to the others.

Totally agree about random and unpredictable artillery. Most of my dad's platoon died from "friendly" artillery. I think often with artillery, the troops of either side were not even part of the equation.

I'm not sure about people being killed at a distance. I suppose that stacks up as being the majority of the casualties, but I think it may depend on the war and the location. My dad remembered the face of the man who shot him and believed he killed him in return. He credits the guys who got him off the mountain he was on for retrieving him before the Japanese could bayonet him, which is what they did to the injured enemy. He spent a lot of time in jungle combat, which was often hand to hand. I have no idea what the numbers were for casualties, but in places like Guadalcanal and New Guinea, starvation, malaria, dengue, hepatitis, and dysentery took a toll. I think WW II may have been the first war where the enemy killed more than disease, but I am not sure what the numbers would be if you looked only at the war in the Pacific. This movie quietly did a nice job of conveying hunger and thirst.

There has been quite a bit of buzz about Tom Hardy and his faceless roles, so was expecting him. What a job he did.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Did you catch Michael Caine's cameo? I missed it too.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/07/michael-caine-cameo-dunkirk

Only caught it when I saw the Special Thanks to Sir Michael Caine in the credits. Now he's been in 7 Nolan films.

My husband caught the credit and said he thought he recognized the voice and couldn't place it until then.

I thought it was cool in the credits that several of the little boats were the actual boats that made the trip to Dunkirk.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I didn't know ahead of time Hardy was in it, but he had his mask off in his first scene and I knew it was him right away. Surprised to hear you guys didn't recognize that it was him.

I couldn't figure out who Harry Styles (One Direction - Boy Band) was though, I think I heard Nolan didn't know he was a singer until after filming. I guess not knowing what he looked like made that more difficult for me/him.

Help Support Us

Become a patron