90s Hip Hop Brunch Restaurant

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Has anyone been reading about all of this? There's a new 90s hip hop brunch restaurant that'll be opening in Des Moines sometime this full. It was originally going to be called "Me So Hungry," but there was a HUGE uproar about how that's inappropriate and insensitive, and so they're changing it (which is probably wise) to "Eggs & Jam" (which is a crap name, IMO).

Anyway - I just like this article:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2017/07/19/dong-post-calls-me-so-hungry-name-tasteless/489953001/

"Calling a restaurant an Asian name and using it in a sexual connotation is inappropriate" - signed, A Dong.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yeah I was talking to someone about this yesterday. I liked it being called "Me So Hungry" and wish they would of stood by the name and not given in, Eggs and Jam is a dumb name. I also find it hypocritical the owners of "A Dong" are the complainers.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yeah I was talking to someone about this yesterday. I liked it being called "Me So Hungry" and wish they would of stood by the name and not given in, Eggs and Jam is a dumb name. I also find it hypocritical the owners of "A Dong" are the complainers.

Am I missing a reference with "Eggs and Jam"? Like, it just means jamming out, right, there's no song reference that I'm missing?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Am I missing a reference with "Eggs and Jam"? Like, it just means jamming out, right, there's no song reference that I'm missing?

Not that I know of.

If we can include 00's hip hop, just change it to the Salt Shaker. Less conspicuous and what not.

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Am I missing something here? The only thing I thought of with the original name was the way JarJar Binks talked, and I was amazed that any one would want to reference him given how universally despised he is among most Star Wars aficionados (not including me BTW...I kind of liked him).

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I don't think there is a reference. It's just a boring name. I do like the chicken & waffles thing though.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Am I missing something here? The only thing I thought of with the original name was the way JarJar Binks talked, and I was amazed that any one would want to reference him given how universally despised he is among most Star Wars aficionados (not including me BTW...I kind of liked him).

The out cry is because of a line in Full Metal Jacket where a Vietnamese hooker says "Me so Hor..y, Me love you long time" and a 2 Live crew lyric that says the same line as the movie.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Really? And I had you pegged as a 2 Live Crew fan.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Not that I know of.

If we can include 00's hip hop, just change it to the Salt Shaker. Less conspicuous and what not.

That would be brilliant! "Salt & Pepa" would also work for 90s, but it's not great.

So, "Me So Horny" was part of the chorus of a song by 2 Live Crew back in the 90s. They had sampled it from Full Metal Jacket, when a Vietnamese prostitute says it. So, it's definitely got racial overtones, and I get that some people might not like it (especially if they don't get the 2LC reference). But A DONG, of all places, may not have room to talk.

I don't think there is a reference. It's just a boring name. I do like the chicken & waffles thing though.

I think their food looks super-interesting! That name, though.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Really think that got blown out of proportion. I don't think they were trying to be racist or insensitive at all. They were just referencing something in the 90s. But understand why they changed it bc the last thing you want as a new restaurant is to drive away customers.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Has anyone been reading about all of this? There's a new 90s hip hop brunch restaurant that'll be opening in Des Moines sometime this fall. It was originally going to be called "Me So Hungry,"

This sounds like a dad joke. I love it.

On-going Edit: Everyone pitch your menu ideas:

Eggs over Eazy-E

Ice-Cube(d) Breakfast - (3 of everything)

House of Pa(i)ncakes

Wu-Tang Clams - ain't nothin to Fork with!

Ghost Face Kielbasa

Frit-Tat-Tat-Tatas

Mack 10 & Cheese

Last edited:
  • Funny

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
is it possible that A Dong was being semi serious? The salutation at the end of their letter gives me a clue that it might be.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Really think that got blown out of proportion. I don't think they were trying to be racist or insensitive at all. They were just referencing something in the 90s. But understand why they changed it bc the last thing you want as a new restaurant is to drive away customers.

Yeah, they pretty much can't start off alienating a ton of customers. I agree.

This sounds like a dad joke. I love it.

It's so corny - I am just interested to hear about what music they play, and the decor! Do you have to wear Daisy Dukes or Hammer pants to get in, is that the dress code?

is it possible that A Dong was being semi serious? The salutation at the end of their letter gives me a clue that it might be.

I wondered about the pho pun, too.

Salt-N-Pepa shaker
Eggs & Gin & Juice
Notorious P.I.G

Dude, can you legit send these to them? They're SO much better.

• Optimistic
Reactions: TweezerReprise

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The out cry is because of a line in Full Metal Jacket where a Vietnamese hooker says "Me so Hor..y, Me love you long time" and a 2 Live crew lyric that says the same line as the movie.
Ah! I don't remember the first line...but I do remember the second line...also "five dolla su...". It has been a long time since I've seen it, and it wasn't a favorite. Thanks, all y'all!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Having a good theme is a solid start but the food better be solid because I don't want no scrubs.

Signed,
Captain Gene