Earl Hall and Ben Durbin added as C-RTC athletes.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa

Pretty underwhelming. We couldn't have gotten one higher profile guy for what we're paying these two? Trying not to be a debbie downer here but for all of the momentum with the Metcalf hire for the RTC and supposedly the amount of money we got committed right away (wasn't it supposedly around $750,000?) it seems this is pretty deflating 2nd and 3rd addition. Can't be super attractive to HS recruits.

Edit: I'm not as surprised about Hall - he was a 2x AA and has some serious Freestyle cred - but Durbin is interesting to say it nicely..

Last edited:

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Pretty underwhelming. We couldn't have gotten one higher profile guy for what we're paying these two? Trying not to be a debbie downer here but for all of the momentum with the Metcalf hire for the RTC and supposedly the amount of money we got committed right away (wasn't it supposedly around $750,000?) it seems this is pretty deflating 2nd and 3rd addition. Can't be super attractive to HS recruits.

Edit: I'm not as surprised about Hall - he was a 2x AA and has some serious Freestyle cred - but Durbin is interesting to say it nicely..

I get what you are saying. But we can really only get guys in the CRTC that we, as fans, pay for. It's pretty simple... we still need more money, despite the 750k already given. Other programs that we wish to pass, frankly, donate more money.

Up to us in the end. We as ISU fans control our own destiny in the pecking order of college wrestling. Are we up to it?

By the way... it does nobody any good, especially ISU wrestling, for us to bag on our guys in the CRTC as "underwhelming"... or that you are "deflated" by who we get. Just my 2 cents.

I have no beef with you. I like your posts. Just had to throw my opinion out there.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

cywr89

May 14, 2009

My guess it the $750K rumor may have been over certain years like 5. This is generally how major donations work. Thus, they don't have all the money at there disposal this year. Also, there is significant difference between paying Ben and Earl compare to a Top 3 guy at a weight. I appreciate the staff keeping the Cyclone RTC guys around. You do realize Ben placed 8th at US Open and was ranked 10th in May. He is basically there to help out with our heavies which he does a good job of so why wouldn't you keep him? I rather have guys in the room that are interested in developing the college kids as much as they are in pursuing their dreams. Several of the top post-grads do not have interest in the college kids, just their dreams.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I also think the big part of this equation is the number of high school kids that are coming to Iowa State & working with Metcalf & CRTC.

Durbin is also going to be good for helping Kyven

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
At the very least, I like the weights they're at. Earl to help with 125-141, Durbin to help with Kyven and the heavies. Not easy to get guys at both ends of the roster, weight-wise. Especially since our coaching staff is mostly middleweight guys.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I get what you are saying. But we can really only get guys in the CRTC that we, as fans, pay for. It's pretty simple... we still need more money, despite the 750k already given. Other programs that we wish to pass, frankly, donate more money.

Up to us in the end. We as ISU fans control our own destiny in the pecking order of college wrestling. Are we up to it?

By the way... it does nobody any good, especially ISU wrestling, for us to bag on our guys in the CRTC as "underwhelming"... or that you are "deflated" by who we get. Just my 2 cents.

I have no beef with you. I like your posts. Just had to throw my opinion out there.

I can appreciate that. And I apologize they way that my comments came out.

I mean no disrespect to those guys, but it definitely comes off that way. They will do a fine job in the room and are a good starting point. Maybe the rumors of the early fundraising success inflated my views of the trajectory of the CRTC. It will be a slow build, but it will do doubt build.

I will say that cywr89 is spot on about the HS kids. The CRTC is just as important in training these top HS kids as it is about the senior level guys. Was the main reason we landed Shapiro and are in on Teske.

I'm stepping away from the ledge.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I can appreciate that. And I apologize they way that my comments came out.

I mean no disrespect to those guys, but it definitely comes off that way. They will do a fine job in the room and are a good starting point. Maybe the rumors of the early fundraising success inflated my views of the trajectory of the CRTC. It will be a slow build, but it will do doubt build.

I will say that cywr89 is spot on about the HS kids. The CRTC is just as important in training these top HS kids as it is about the senior level guys. Was the main reason we landed Shapiro and are in on Teske.

I'm stepping away from the ledge.

I'm not sure what the travel requirements and such are for the CRTC stipended wrestlers, but thought that running a youth club could be a nice income supplementer to them. Last I had heard sebolt was 300/month. With basically no room costs and just gas costs and tourney rooms, get 12-20 kids in the room and you have a nice little side income. Maybe it's not possible for the guys to run something like this but if would help pay for a guy or two pending the success of the club.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I don't think we raised anywhere near $750,000. Think that was rumors

Correct. And even then $750K isn't going to go very far in the senior level wrestling club world, especially given they are paying Metcalf about 1/3 of that amount. Need to keep stepping up. I'm still hoping to win the lottery even though I don't play. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: buf87

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Correct. And even then $750K isn't going to go very far in the senior level wrestling club world, especially given they are paying Metcalf about 1/3 of that amount. Need to keep stepping up. I'm still hoping to win the lottery even though I don't play. Fingers crossed.
Metcalf is getting paid almost $250,000/yr? I thought it was like half of that? Because that would be like a top 5 paid head coach salary.

Either way, I agree with you, we need to get more money raised. But honestly, at this point it might be tapped out until we start seeing some success from the new staff.. IE: actual results and recruiting success

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I have no idea, but have heard around $200,000. I would not be surprised if St John is getting some money from CRTC also. This is just my gut and I have no knowledge if any of this is true.

Dresser has said that he pays his assistants well, so if somebody wants them, they are going to have to step up and pay very well to get them.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Metcalf is getting paid almost $250,000/yr? I thought it was like half of that? Because that would be like a top 5 paid head coach salary.

Either way, I agree with you, we need to get more money raised. But honestly, at this point it might be tapped out until we start seeing some success from the new staff.. IE: actual results and recruiting success

I have never heard anything other than the $200K range for Metcalf.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I have never heard anything other than the $200K range for Metcalf.

Wow, that's crazy. I just always heard $115-125k range when he was hired. I'm not mad about it because the Metcalf hire is huge for us. And I've come around on where we are currently at (senior level athlete wise) because the RTC is just as much about getting local elite talent in the room with a legend in their eyes in Metcalf.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Wow, that's crazy. I just always heard $115-125k range when he was hired. I'm not mad about it because the Metcalf hire is huge for us. And I've come around on where we are currently at (senior level athlete wise) because the RTC is just as much about getting local elite talent in the room with a legend in their eyes in Metcalf.

Realize that it may not be true either. I don't think it was ever public knowledge.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Also curious if he is getting health insurance through CRTC or any retirement benefits. Or could be a wage salary and he is responsible for those things himself. Either way, I think he is a great asset to the program.