The Other Place (in Ames) is closed

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Every time I hear of some new restaurant maybe opening up I close my eyes and pray to baby jesus that it's DaVinci's coming back. Won't ever happen but I pray nonetheless.

Did DaVinci's have really good deep dish pizza?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
While it doesn't seem like it would make sense I think it does from a service industry aspect. Specialties can not be modified and there aren't exceptions. The person probably should have been able to suggest what you did but the no substitutions rule is there for a reason.
What legitimate reason could there be to not allow adding a topping? I was more than willing to pay for it, and I told her as much. Her reasoning that it threw off the baking process was easily dismissed.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
i
What legitimate reason could there be to not allow adding a topping? I was more than willing to pay for it, and I told her as much. Her reasoning that it threw off the baking process was easily dismissed.
Yeahhhh I don't think adding a few pepperonis is going to change the baking process all that much.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Specialty type stuff just can't be modified. It has to do with how stuff goes into systems and just general processes with it. There isn't a reason with it actually cooking but how it is made.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Specialty type stuff just can't be modified. It has to do with how stuff goes into systems and just general processes with it. There isn't a reason with it actually cooking but how it is made.
2 problems with that
1) that's not the reason she gave
2) we successfully added toppings to a specialty pizza on later visits.

This was either a new employee who didn't understand, or an obtuse one. Plain and simple

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
2 problems with that

This was either a new employee who didn't understand, or an obtuse one. Plain and simple
That's interesting. My experience in the service industry has been those weird things that don't really make sense but that's how it has to be done. There's a lot of things that service people have to do that don't make sense.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Have went to the clear lake one and Mason city one (before it closed close to 20 years ago) many times. Went to the Ames one I believe twice and it was nothing like clear lake. It was lacking in every aspect compared to clear lake. The items were different also. Ordered a grinder sub in Ames and it was made different with a few different ingredients. Couldn't even get Cole slaw with it, only fries for a side.

Btw, Mason closed due to fights and continually hiring Hawks for door people.

(I know they were Hawks because they couldn't ad and subtract, would routinely be 100+ people over fire code a week after a fine. )

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
2 problems with that

As a former employee of the Clive OP, I can say that management and owners are very strict about this rule. Not really sure why. I was usually able to find a way around it, but only because the GM was a really good friend. However, if the owner was around, definitely not happening.

The employee told you exactly what she was supposed to, so it wasn't her fault. I'm assuming her agreeing at the end was just her being fed up with a customer that wouldn't stop questioning a rule that she has no control over.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

WTF? Its pizza, not splitting an atom. GTFO with this response.

• Dislike
Reactions: jkclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Ate there once thought it was kind of expensive wasn't that impressed, never went back. For the people who liked it sorry it's closed.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
As a former employee of the Clive OP, I can say that management and owners are very strict about this rule. Not really sure why. I was usually able to find a way around it, but only because the GM was a really good friend. However, if the owner was around, definitely not happening.

The employee told you exactly what she was supposed to, so it wasn't her fault. I'm assuming her agreeing at the end was just her being fed up with a customer that wouldn't stop questioning a rule that she has no control over.
Sounds like the owner doesn't realize the customer is always right.
Ames closed up, not sure how Clive is doing, I don't know how they'll do in Ankeny.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009

It takes a big man to admit his mistakes, and I am that big man. Sorry, had a couple drinks last night and lost my way somewhere through the thread. I went back through and reread it.

Adding a topping to a specialty should have been fine. Just substitutions are against the rules. Like you said, Janny, I'd chalk it up to a new employee being confused by the rule. However, like jkclone said, there are some really inexplicable rules when it comes to management and computer system stuff that always get taken out on the servers. This was not one of those.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Sounds like the owner doesn't realize the customer is always right.
Ames closed up, not sure how Clive is doing, I don't know how they'll do in Ankeny.
This is the single dumbest thing you can tell a service worker. Once that phrase is uttered they will not do anything special to help you. Good service employees will do their best to skirt rules to try and get you what you want but once you start talking like that they know you they can't help you because you won't understand how they are helping you.

Here's another way to explain it. You don't get a mint julep at the Kentucky Derby without mint or something. Someone can make what you want but it isn't a mint julep anymore and if there is a special price for it you aren't getting that. A lot of the issue comes down to pricing and how things are recognized.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This is the single dumbest thing you can tell a service worker. Once that phrase is uttered they will not do anything special to help you.
I'm saying the service worker shouldn't be put in the position of saying we can't put pepperonis on that pizza, the customer saying I'll pay for it, and then the server saying nope, can't happen.

If I go to a bar and want a Manhattan and then say, what rye comes in it, they say Bulleit, and I say can you change that out for Knob Creek and I'll pay the cost difference, you do it.

• Agree
Reactions: BillyClone

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
We probably went 10 or so times during it's existence in Ames, mostly work lunches. We'd go in a group of 5-7 people. The food was pretty good, but the service was so slow. The staff was always very nice, but it just took way too long to get anything.

I also remember the first time we ordered from them, shortly after they opened, I called in to order their specialty 5 cheese pizza. My daughter was on a cheese pizza only kick at the time.
I asked for the 5 cheese, and then asked if we could do pepperoni on half of it.
"I'm sorry, we can't do that" the woman replied.
"It's okay, I'll pay for it."
"No, we don't allow substitutions on specialty pizzas."
"No, I don't want to substitute anything. i just want to add pepperoni to half."
"And we can't do that."
"Why?"
"Because each specialty pizza recipe bakes for a specific amount of time, and changing anything throws it off."
"Really?"
"Yes."
"Because half of it has pepperoni?"
"Yes"
"Well, I mean, you sell pepperoni pizza, right? Why can't you just put it in the oven for the amount of time it takes to make a pepperoni pizza?"
"What?"
"Never mind. Listen, I want to change my order. I want to order a pepperoni pizza, but only put the pepperoni on half of it, and on the other half can you put the extra cheeses that you would put on the 5 cheese specialty?"
"Sure, anything else?"
"No, I don't think so. Thank you."

(that is not an exaggerated conversation. That's exactly how it went down. I chalked it up to them having recently opened)

I'm always surprised when businesses refuse to alter a product/service to a customer's wishes, especially when the customer is willing to pay extra for it.

At its core, this is how the conversation goes...

Customer: "I'd like to give you my money if you'll just adjust something for me."
Business: "No. I don't want your money"
Customer: "Wait. I'll give you more money for the adjustment to my order."
Business: "Sorry. I don't want more of your money"
Customer: "I really want to give you my money. Is there any way you can give me the adjustment and still accept my money? I'm willing to give you extra money"
Business: "No. Rules are rules. We are so successful, we don't need your money"

Obviously, I'm being facetious, but stories like the one above always leave me scratching my head. I blame it on owner's reluctance to let the employees have the freedom to satisfy customers' wants.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I'm saying the service worker shouldn't be put in the position of saying we can't put pepperonis on that pizza, the customer saying I'll pay for it, and then the server saying nope, can't happen.

If I go to a bar and want a Manhattan and then say, what rye comes in it, they say Bulleit, and I say can you change that out for Knob Creek and I'll pay the cost difference, you do it.
Yeah I never said that wasn't the case. The employee in the original example should have said I can't do that but I can do this. That part it sounds like was a new employee but it is important to remember that many times the employee knows it seems dumb but can't do anything about it.

The amount of mistreatment that service workers deal with is astronomical in my experience. Most want to help customers but after abusive interactions they just want to have a conflict free day. It irritates me even if I'm just a customer to see people being abusive to service workers.

Reactions: skibumspe

kmcbrid

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
www.municipalgame.com
I've never been to the one in Ames. I like the one in Cedar Falls and I like the food at the one in WDM but it's SO LOUD that I rarely go.

Agree. Something is wrong with the acoustics in the building. Went there once around 5pm on a week night and you couldn't hear the person across the table from you, it was so loud in the restaurant.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The amount of mistreatment that service workers deal with is astronomical in my experience. Most want to help customers but after abusive interactions they just want to have a conflict free day. It irritates me even if I'm just a customer to see people being abusive to service workers.

Where are you eating or drinking at? I go out quite a bit to get bar food at the High Life all the way to nice restaurants like McCormick and Shmicks and I don't see mistreatment all that much. Biggest complaint I see is people needing the side of ranch they ordered but it's not on their plate, or forgetting silverware. Maybe I just don't notice it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron