Is recruiting that much better?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Agree. Rhoads has to look at Campbell's body of work so far pretty sheepishly. I'm sure Paul wants him to succeed but Matt is making him look like a chump right now IMO.

I agree Matt Campbell is making Rhoads recruiting look really bad, btw I really liked Paul Rhoads as a person but his football teams could never win games they should have and esp his last visit to Manhattan KS......

This football program has been haunted by the spectre of the U of Iowa and Kansas State Univ.....Until this program beats both of these programs good luck getting to a Bowl Game.....

Go Cyclones beat the Panthers

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I agree Matt Campbell is making Rhoads recruiting look really bad, btw I really liked Paul Rhoads as a person but his football teams could never win games they should have and esp his last visit to Manhattan KS......

This football program has been haunted by the spectre of the U of Iowa and Kansas State Univ.....Until this program beats both of these programs good luck getting to a Bowl Game.....

Go Cyclones beat the Panthers
Couldn't agree more. I loved Paul. I wanted him to succeed and I was all in after the first couple years. I wish him well, but I am very happy with where we are at. As far as the recruiting differences go, just the transparency and sheer amount of kids we are seeing come to the university is impressive. Nevermind the overall quality of player he got to commit in just two months after his hire. I respect Paul forever but I am so happy to have Matt.

mikesright

Sep 3, 2012
If Iowa State is to be successful, they have to be developmental. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I think ISU has a good one in Campbell, however there are concerns. With as many scholarships as they put out (some of which they've taken back), and some of the "offering when a certain other school offers a kid" going on, and the marketing emphasis on stars for the staff, it makes me question whether they are good at scouting talent. I think that scouting could not be a more important attribute for a coach at Iowa State.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
If Iowa State is to be successful, they have to be developmental. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I think ISU has a good one in Campbell, however there are concerns. With as many scholarships as they put out (some of which they've taken back), and some of the "offering when a certain other school offers a kid" going on, and the marketing emphasis on stars for the staff, it makes me question whether they are good at scouting talent. I think that scouting could not be a more important attribute for a coach at Iowa State.

Really? They offer first on tons if players and many blow up.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
http://247sports.com/player/cyrus-habibi-likio-89288
http://247sports.com/player/kj-hamler-43499
http://247sports.com/player/matthew-eaton-33034
http://247sports.com/player/reese-leitao-85331

Quick off the top of my head. There are more, just my phone is being a pain. There's that running back Jacobs at Bama who played as a true frosh, another Mike Warren who is signed with Cincinnati, and olineman Mckinney who's probably going to Iowa or Oklahoma. Yes a lot of offers aren't committable, but it at least gets a kids attention and gets you in the door.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Yeah, you're not paying attention. Or you're a Hawkeye. Or both.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
The Purple Crypt Keeper is successful year after year after year with unheralded recruits. Development > raw talent. Give me a hard worker over a Prima Donna every day. Paul obviously struggled with retention. So the jury is still out on Campbell, IMO. I think this question can only truthfully be answered until after this season.

Agree. Based on the turnover (guys kicked off) and general team chemistry problems it appears he managed to recruit too many unheralded Prima Donnas.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I wish everyone could be optimistic and excited about Campbell's recruiting classes without using it to insult Rhoads.

And for the record, people were crazy excited about Rhoads future at this point in his tenure here too. 7 wins including a bowl win, and a couple of great recruiting classes.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyBobby

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I wish everyone could be optimistic and excited about Campbell's recruiting classes without using it to insult Rhoads.

And for the record, people were crazy excited about Rhoads future at this point in his tenure here too. 7 wins including a bowl win, and a couple of great recruiting classes.

Paul Rhoads was not a good head ball coach at Iowa St.

mikesright

Sep 3, 2012
Really? They offer first on tons if players and many blow up.

I didn't say he was bad at scouting. I just said it was a concern. Its impossible to tell right now if he's any good since he is basically offering everybody. Ideally you wouldn't have to pull as many offers as he has in the first couple of years. If Campbell gets on the bad side of a few HS coaches he could see his recruiting drop off in a hurry. Best if he didn't get a bad reputation.

Enough with the negative. Frankly there is plenty he is good at. He seems to be good at sealing the deal if the kid has a mutual interest in ISU. He's not afraid to get his nose dirty with top prospects. He is in plenty of good prospects top choice lists. He'd better win this year though.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I hope I'm wrong, but he looked more like a UNI type player to me.

My question is do you think this incoming true freshman looks like a UNI senior playing against ISU or do you really think any incoming freshman at UNI looks like this kid? Are you judging 18 year olds against 22 year olds who have trained at UNI for 4 years? He may not get much bigger, but he looks like he is ready to play, which is a big step ahead of guys who need to learn the system and develop their bodies.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I didn't say he was bad at scouting. I just said it was a concern. Its impossible to tell right now if he's any good since he is basically offering everybody. Ideally you wouldn't have to pull as many offers as he has in the first couple of years. If Campb
I didn't say he was bad at scouting. I just said it was a concern. Its impossible to tell right now if he's any good since he is basically offering everybody. Ideally you wouldn't have to pull as many offers as he has in the first couple of years. If Campbell gets on the bad side of a few HS coaches he could see his recruiting drop off in a hurry. Best if he didn't get a bad reputation.

Enough with the negative. Frankly there is plenty he is good at. He seems to be good at sealing the deal if the kid has a mutual interest in ISU. He's not afraid to get his nose dirty with top prospects. He is in plenty of good prospects top choice lists. He'd better win this year though.
You must be a hawk fan is all i can think of.

First off every single team sends out offers that are not commitable. Teams will always wait to hear from the best guys first.

Second, half of the guys they offered have likely said they have 0 interest or commit to someone else already. That kind of stuff does not get reported. To me it is a case of you miss every shot you don't take. Offering early is their best chance to get the top guys which is why they are often first. This also makes your comment about only offering after another school offers is just silly.

Lastly your idea of them not being good at scouting? They are finding and offering these kids 6 months earlier than other teams galbahn who decommited had offers from ivy league schools only if I recall. He then got several offers after ISU offered.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Is he going to be running track or playing football?

Wonder what other offers he had. I'll let you look it up.

I don't know if Hummel will be great or a bust. I do know he looked fast on the football field and that was verified on the track. I also know he is bigger than the tiny more highly rated recruits we have brought in at linebacker and those guys have done nothing yet.

I am excited about him and Vance. Both are bigger as they should be. I don't care who else recruited either one.

Find me backers that are over 5' 10 and 200. I've seen enough of those guys for a lifetime.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Well on the offensive side of the ball it's been a while since we've been wowed with freshmen like Deshante Jones and Kene Nwangu. So that is pretty telling to me. Not to mention Jabob Park.

Well except for Lazard and Mike Warren of course.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

Huh?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't know if Hummel will be great or a bust. I do know he looked fast on the football field and that was verified on the track. I also know he is bigger than the tiny more highly rated recruits we have brought in at linebacker and those guys have done nothing yet.

I am excited about him and Vance. Both are bigger as they should be. I don't care who else recruited either one.

Find me backers that are over 5' 10 and 200. I've seen enough of those guys for a lifetime.
Zach Thomas, Sam Mills, Mike Singletary. They were 'small' backers. Sorry, I'm 5'10'' hit a nerve I guess o_O

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Who are you referring to? Sutton is the only LB Campbell's staff has brought in. He had some good offers and will likely be a 3-year starter.