Friday OT: Recipe for gratitude

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I make a pasta concoction of bowties, cooked al dente, homemade pesto, pico de gallo, and cut up turkey breast or ham. Sprinkle a little parmesan on top.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Hi all. Angie is away from the CF-keyboard for a short time, so she asked me to provide a Friday OT for this week. Of course, I’m happy to serve as backup-QB. I hope I can do the series justice in her absence. :)

This week’s question: Do you have a “special recipe” you’ve perfected to the point that people expect/anticipate you making it for seasonal or special occasions? Did you encounter the recipe through family or friends, then customized as you went along? Or did you start with a cookbook source and tinker with it from there?

Feel free to list multiple recipes, if it applies.
I make spicy pretzles for special events. I got the recipe through allrecipes.com but people never ask about that. They are addictive after a few brews.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I have a couple things I've gotten pretty good at and are always popular.

I doctored up my mom's lasagna recipe and get lots of positives for that. It's the cream cheese and Italian sausage. Get the ricotta out of here.

My chocolate chip cookies - it's just the tollhouse recipe but I made about 4 dozen last weekend for friends and 9 people had them gone in about two hours.

Husband's apple crisp is a fave at his workplace. I can make it too don't take it out of the house to share like he does.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
@cyclones500 - you are the best! :) THANK YOU!

I am unqualified, really, to answer this thread! I DO have a couple of secrets to make toast magical, and some friends have stolen them and now use them. But I don't think that's a recipe.

Reactions: cyclones500

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It has been more than a decade since I've made it (and I no longer work at the same place), and I'm not sure I even have the recipe anymore, but people at the place where I used to work used to demand that I bring my dilled bean salad to work potlucks. I also used to make a highly sought after Minnesota wild rice soup (another recipe I need to find again).

Nowadays it's mostly my killer Long Island/Tennessee Iced Tea (the difference - Long Island gets tequila; Tennessee gets Jack Daniel's).

• Useful

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
my antique apple pie........family and work colleagues love it.......

I now also bake a great rhubarb pie.....a grandmother's recipe.

Reactions: Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I doctored up my mom's lasagna recipe and get lots of positives for that. It's the cream cheese and Italian sausage. Get the ricotta out of here.

I'm making lasagna for me-sig-other birthday meal right now. I offered to use cream cheese, but everyone likes my lasagna the way I make it, and they like ricotta, so they don't want me to mess with it. :)

Yeah, I could've substituted it secretly, but it could've backfired if it wasn't up to snuff.

--> I already use Italian sausage instead of beef (or sometimes 50-50), so I'm halfway there. :)

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm making lasagna for me-sig-other birthday meal right now. I offered to use cream cheese, but everyone likes my lasagna the way I make it, and they like ricotta, so they don't want me to mess with it. :)

Yeah, I could've substituted it secretly, but it could've backfired if it wasn't up to snuff.

--> I already use Italian sausage instead of beef (or sometimes 50-50), so I'm halfway there. :)

next time try one on one half and one on the other :)

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Pecan Pie. Every time the kids come visit. Apple pie comes in second. My fried chicken is also a request.

The pecan pie is my grandmother's recipe, and she got it from HER mother, so it dates back to at least the late 1800s.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I've started making lasagna on Christmas Eve now that my kids are doing their own things, using a recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens recipe book we received in '81 for our wedding. Use half beef and half Italian sausage. It's great. I looked up the current BH&G recipe online. Half the cheese as their old recipe. Wimps! I use ricotta - no cottage cheese in this!