Anyone else following this? (legalization of Fireworks in Iowa)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
First off I am a supporter of the fireworks legalization and feel it is about the only thing the Iowa Legislature has done that is a positive.

However, who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to allow tents packed full of explosives to be setup at gas stations. I have seen this twice now and completely blows my mind.

Not to mention they want youth groups to sell them as s fundraiser.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
First off I am a supporter of the fireworks legalization and feel it is about the only thing the Iowa Legislature has done that is a positive.

However, who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to allow tents packed full of explosives to be setup at gas stations. I have seen this twice now and completely blows my mind.
To be fair look at it this way. A gas station is already a giant explosive. There are safety procedures for stuff but it still is dangerous to have fire. The fireworks are the same thing. As long as no one is shooting them off there I don't think it should be an issue.

Look at the stores on the border. They also sell gas.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

I'm OK with the legalization, but I feel like this should have been handled way better. They should have passed it AFTER the 4th of July, so that the people who can't control themselves wouldn't have spent the past 2-3 months getting a boner about it and then going crazy when cities gave them a whole month to be a pyromaniac.

Policing this is a PITA, so it really should be limited to a short period of time around the 4th. There should also be strict and clear violations regarding usage. I've already heard people talking to each other about just going "out to the country" and lighting them off out there. Well, some of us live out in those areas and we don't need your trash and noise.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
frabz-good-morning-whiners-what-we-gonna-whine-about-today-47afb4.jpg

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
There was one that got pretty high up last week on one of those really windy days. Made me wonder if homeowners insurance covers someone burning our house down, or does their insurance, or are you just screwed? Need to call agent I think.

A few minutes ago someone here 2 blocks from our house which is near downtown Nevada fired off a few of the big time professional ones that the City does on the 4th at a area on the edge of town that gets blocked off. Unbelievable to see those being fired up basically in the middle of town.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
A few minutes ago someone here 2 blocks from our house which is near downtown Nevada fired off a few of the big time professional ones that the City does on the 4th at a area on the edge of town that gets blocked off. Unbelievable to see those being fired up basically in the middle of town.

Although not quite as big as the professional ones I have done many mortars right over my house. Never had an issue.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er and NWICY

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Our neighbor was shooting them off tonight during the tornado/severe thunderstorm warning. At least our dog was already freaked by the thunder so he could just be more freaked out at the same time. And the wind would blow stuff towards their neighbors on the other side unless it became circular.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Our neighbor was shooting them off tonight during the tornado/severe thunderstorm warning. At least our dog was already freaked by the thunder so he could just be more freaked out at the same time. And the wind would blow stuff towards their neighbors on the other side unless it became circular.

Enjoying the peace and quiet here three miles from downtown Minneapolis. Will probably have some stuff going off around the 4th but nothing crazy. Other nights, just the occasional 9 mm shots from the near northside. Or maybe @cyrocksmypants popping a cap in someone over on Franklin Avenue. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Just looked up Urbandale's ordinance. $625 fine for setting off anything that shoots in the air, including bottle rockets, as well as firecrackers. They've been pretty hard core fining people the last couple of years.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Our dog doesn't freak out when it storms, but goes nuts with fireworks (no a thunder shirt doesn't do jack). We drug him up though and I assume he'll move into the basement over the weekend when we aren't around. Annoying when he lays on top of you and just shakes uncontrollably.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Just looked up Urbandale's ordinance. $625 fine for setting off anything that shoots in the air, including bottle rockets, as well as firecrackers. They've been pretty hard core fining people the last couple of years.
thats what it is here too. if they can find you they fine you. guy posted on our towns swap page asking for donations to pay his fine. el oh el. a few of the fines were written by sheriffs dept. along with mip and various other fines. Assuming minors setting off on a dirt/gravel road.

Reactions: YeahBuddy

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm well prepared to fight fire with fire should my neighbors fire anything off.

I'd also go after the Hank Hill method of starting my lawn mower at exactly 8 AM to annoy them in retaliation. :)

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
thats what it is here too. if they can find you they fine you. guy posted on our towns swap page asking for donations to pay his fine. el oh el. a few of the fines were written by sheriffs dept. along with mip and various other fines. Assuming minors setting off on a dirt/gravel road.

what kind of moron goes drinking underage and then announces their presence to everyone within a 20 mile radius?

They deserve to have their fines doubled for being stupid.

Help Support Us

Become a patron