**2017 Cap City Thread**

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
If anyone has updates on who is/is not playing tonight, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'll base my attendance off of that.

As of right now I think Shayock, Jackson, Jacobson, Young and Lewis are playing and the others are not. Babb just got added to the unavailable tonight list. If I hear otherwise I will post it in this thread.

Reactions: TheJackWePack5

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
He it was suggested last year before the season that the only thing limiting Babb was Babb himself. I think even Monte or Naz said something about having to push him in practice sometimes.

Monte mentioned having to talk a little trash to get him going.

As someone mentioned previously, you could see flashes of his ability in the Big 12 Tourney when his shots were falling and confidence was up. He had a couple passes that made me take notice, where he drove underneath the hoop, drew the defense, and fired a one-handed bullet right on the money to an open shooter. He could draw a lot of fouls if he's in the right mindset.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Yes, let's nip this crap in the bud now. When Babb struggled last season you could tell it was bothering him, so much so that I think it was starting to effect his confidence. No question on his commitment level. He has the physical tools to be a high level player for us.

It's a matter of him making the change mentally from deferring from the seniors to him being the leader.
You mean his outside shooting?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
As of right now I think Shayock, Jackson, Jacobson, Young and Lewis are playing and the others are not. Babb just got added to the unavailable tonight list. If I hear otherwise I will post it in this thread.

Sorry if it has already been mentioned, but what is the reason Lard hasn't been playing, except 1 night maybe? I realize Brase, Long, and Beverly are rehabbing.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Sorry if it has already been mentioned, but what is the reason Lard hasn't been playing, except 1 night maybe? I realize Brase, Long, and Beverly are rehabbing.
Not sure. Could be a number of things - i.e nagging injury, class, etc. He just showed up in Ankeny and is playing now. Didn't know he was coming until last minute.

Reactions: isutrevman

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Called him soft, said he doesn't dribble with his head up, called him a ball hog, every time Donovan went up for a shot he acted as if Donovan was a horrible shooter and would miss. Mentioned that he's going to "miss almost every shot again just like last game." I think he was just critical of Donovan because he only passed it to his buddy a couple times.

baller1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
WDM
Anyone want to summarize how the ISU players that were there did?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Anyone want to summarize how the ISU players that were there did?

Shayok looked about the same as he always does. Pretty good. I think we are going to wish we had more than one year with him. I liked Lard. He got more into the game the longer he played and was OK. He won't set the world on fire, but I don't think he'll suck either.

Young looked fine. Its hard for a big guy to get involved in the CCL, but he was engaged once he did. I continue to really like Lewis. He's just smooth out there and has a nose for the ball. He seems like an old school small forward---like he kind of reminds me of the way Jeff Grayer played. NOT that I think he is as good as Jeff Grayer. But he sort of looks like him out there. One thing that I love is that he follows the shot, he's kind of always in the middle of the play. I think he's going to be a good player.

Donavon was Donavon. Once he starts hitting shots, he hits about 5 in a row. I appreciate that he has shown up to all of the CCL games. Jacobson looked fine.

Babb was the only one that has played that didn't show up. I'd recommend going to games in Ankeny. It seems more likely that the Iowa State players will show up there and the bleachers aren't nearly as uncomfortable as those at Valley Southwoods.

Also, I have a question for Thompson or someone else that follows the players closer than I do. There was a kid that was Monte's friend from Michigan who was on Monte's CCL team last year and played in the games on Sunday. I think his name is Trey. Anyway, this kid was around the team all last year. And he's been at the CCL a few of the nights and hanging around the team. I figured he'd be wherever Monte was now. I'm curious if he is sticking around Ames.

Reactions: Doc

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
Shayok looked about the same as he always does. Pretty good. I think we are going to wish we had more than one year with him. I liked Lard. He got more into the game the longer he played and was OK. He won't set the world on fire, but I don't think he'll suck either.

Young looked fine. Its hard for a big guy to get involved in the CCL, but he was engaged once he did. I continue to really like Lewis. He's just smooth out there and has a nose for the ball. He seems like an old school small forward---like he kind of reminds me of the way Jeff Grayer played. NOT that I think he is as good as Jeff Grayer. But he sort of looks like him out there. One thing that I love is that he follows the shot, he's kind of always in the middle of the play. I think he's going to be a good player.

Donavon was Donavon. Once he starts hitting shots, he hits about 5 in a row. I appreciate that he has shown up to all of the CCL games. Jacobson looked fine.

Babb was the only one that has played that didn't show up. I'd recommend going to games in Ankeny. It seems more likely that the Iowa State players will show up there and the bleachers aren't nearly as uncomfortable as those at Valley Southwoods.

Also, I have a question for Thompson or someone else that follows the players closer than I do. There was a kid that was Monte's friend from Michigan who was on Monte's CCL team last year and played in the games on Sunday. I think his name is Trey. Anyway, this kid was around the team all last year. And he's been at the CCL a few of the nights and hanging around the team. I figured he'd be wherever Monte was now. I'm curious if he is sticking around Ames.
I think you're talking about Travon Mitchell

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Good info. I think Shayok would have been much more highly recruited if he had more than one year, so let's be thankful he only has one.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

str8cashhomie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 15, 2014

One ref called 4 Ts in the first game, including one on Lard for barely hanging on the rim. Then one in next game against a Drake guy who said "you get paid for this, right?" soft enough I couldn't hear it at the scorers table. Another on Matt Tiby for calling for a kicked ball in the next game. 6 total Ts by one guy on the night. I'd say thin-skinned might be an understatement for what was going on.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
One ref called 4 Ts in the first game, including one on Lard for barely hanging on the rim. Then one in next game against a Drake guy who said "you get paid for this, right?" soft enough I couldn't hear it at the scorers table. Another on Matt Tiby for calling for a kicked ball in the next game. 6 total Ts by one guy on the night. I'd say thin-skinned might be an understatement for what was going on.
I sat behind the bench and I remember hearing the ref turn to the coach after parks was disqualified and saying something along the lines that they aren't here to talk.

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
How do you know what he said? :)

Reactions: Goofyguy1

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I sat behind the bench and I remember hearing the ref turn to the coach after parks was disqualified and saying something along the lines that they aren't here to talk.

And I wasn't there to watch the refs have a power trip.

I was sitting in the first few rows and could hear a lot talking but whatever was said wasn't loud enough for me to hear :)

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Wow reffing the CCL must be serious business. Someone should tell him the NBA isn't going to call him up based on his CCL officiating.

• Funny
Reactions: rholtgraves

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Wow reffing the CCL must be serious business. Someone should tell him the NBA isn't going to call him up based on his CCL officiating.
My favorite part of the night was when Lard went up for a dunk and got called for a T for hanging on the rim. About two plays later another player dunked and hung on the rim longer than Lard did but he didn't get a T.

You could see Lard stand up from the bench and stare down the ref.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
How do you know what he said? :)

Schlatter from Drake, the guy who said it, was telling everyone after the game exactly what he said. It was a bad call.

In fairness, it is pretty tough to ref these games. On one hand you want to keep the players safe and make calls but on the other the fans want to see the game flow, the players talk some junk, etc. Add to that the disparity between the size and strength of a Solomon Young vs. a high school big man which makes it hard to decide what is a foul and there you go.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2020cy