Transfer IN

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
A decent addition for some depth and she has a year here to practice ( brings some senior experience) and workout.

Well, that pretty much fills that class. Maybe add a senior transfer next spring if someone leaves. Statistically, I guess I should say "when" someone transfers out since WBB is starting to look more like MBB with the number of transfers. Not a value judgement there, just transfers are becoming more of a real recruiting thing in WBB.

Tennessee has a nice stats summary and bio for her. Also had a nice video summary from their coaches show they embedded. Her stats aren't all that impressive other then 3-point % last season. Maybe she will fit in better here and find a place somewhere in the rotation for her final year. She was certainly highly regarded/rated as a high school recruit.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/alexa_middleton_908132.html

Last edited:

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
UT is a tough place to play. I bet she proves to be a great addition to our team.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
UT is a tough place to play. I bet she proves to be a great addition to our team.
What is going on at Tennessee? Warlick has a monster recruiting class coming in, things look up, but then Diamond Deshields suddenly announces last week she is going pro.
I think this program and style of play is made to order for Middleton - we base our offense on 3's - and she can excel at that. She's not the quickest afoot, but in our zone D she can blend in and get help. Tough player too.
Thing is, Fennelly has been forceful and outspoken about disliking today's "transfer culture" where players just up and leave if they're unhappy - guess it's different when you're on the receiving end? Coaches have to play the game I guess...

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Thing is, Fennelly has been forceful and outspoken about disliking today's "transfer culture" where players just up and leave if they're unhappy - guess it's different when you're on the receiving end?

Do ANY coaches like the transfer culture? It creates unplanned spots that usually need to be filled fairly quickly.

Sherri Coale: “It’s parasitic in that when players leave, they create holes in rosters. Holes in rosters create needs for coaches to find players. The only players who are available are players who are leaving. So it feeds itself in this giant circle, which then encourages them to leave because they get recruited again and here we go. It’s a maddening sort of thing to be in the middle of."

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Do ANY coaches like the transfer culture? It creates unplanned spots that usually need to be filled fairly quickly.

Sherri Coale: “It’s parasitic in that when players leave, they create holes in rosters. Holes in rosters create needs for coaches to find players. The only players who are available are players who are leaving. So it feeds itself in this giant circle, which then encourages them to leave because they get recruited again and here we go. It’s a maddening sort of thing to be in the middle of."
No, I would have to play the "game" too if I were a coach. I totally understand the frustration though. And as a fan, Middleton is a huge get.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
No, I would have to play the "game" too if I were a coach. I totally understand the frustration though. And as a fan, Middleton is a huge get.

Holly was supportive and helpful a in Alexa transferring not the typical transfer situation. TN losing three players and one of the best recruiters and defensive coaches in the country and Holly doing a :) about DeShields leaving smells like there's some troubles going on in Knoxville. UT fans are up in arms about the state of their program right now

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Window closes and a door opens. We lost the mighty workhorse Jadda a year later will gain Alexa, a little taller, just as highly rated, healthy with a needed change of scenery. This is a good story.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Look forward to her helping the program, even this year with the redshirt on. Hopefully she can espouse some experience to the point guard "committee".

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Updated scholarship chart:

While I am very excited for this season, a lot of freshness and opportunity, barring major loss to injury or transfer (knock on wood) that 18-19 roster at least on paper and in my mind should be the best roster we have had in a very long time. Alexa, Bridget, Mere, Bride - seniors - Ricketts still has two years if she wants the 5th, and Wise, Scott, and Rae will have a year under their belt, Nia and Camber another year of development, and adding frosh that could contribute right away, will pose some new challenges for BF....what will BF do with so much depth and versatility....

• Agree
Reactions: BenEClone

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Middleton has good talent. Holly has not proven to be much of a talent developer. DeShields seemed to be a tad better as a freshman at North Carolina .

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
The roster looks very promising for the next couple of seasons, which is good. After all, we're coming up on the once-every-ten-years trip to the Elite 8 ('99, '09, '19?).

Reactions: ISU71

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
If the freshman class has as much talent as some of you think then the addition of Middleton should lead to a fairly promising season next year. Most freshman really don't gel too well until they have at least a year under their belt. I'm afraid this year may be slightly disappointing, but I'd be happy for the girls to prove me wrong.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
If the freshman class has as much talent as some of you think then the addition of Middleton should lead to a fairly promising season next year. Most freshman really don't gel too well until they have at least a year under their belt. I'm afraid this year may be slightly disappointing, but I'd be happy for the girls to prove me wrong.

I don't be think this year will be disappointing at all. I'm anticipating a very scrappy team.

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
I am concerned about only having 11 bodies on the team. We have brought in Bride and Scott to fix the biggest weakness from last season. Now one of the PG's needs to step up and take over BF's offense. Scrappy is a good word for this team.