Things to do w/in hour/2hour of davenport

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Mentioned above but You can kill a lot of time in downtown LeClair. Lot of shopping an antiques. Small museum and cool riverboat exhibition. American Pickers.

Also, the Rock Island Arsenal have a pretty impressive gun collection. Not very well organized or cataloged but lot of unique firearms.

If you are into live music, check the calendar at River City Music Experience

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
Have to be in davenport thurs/friday for work and then again on monday. Have done everything in the davenport area a million times but curious if there is anything cool to see/do with in an hour or 2 of davenport (north south east) that doesnt include the chicago area (been there a million times) Adults, no children.

Find a gravel road and shoot fireworks off ;)

Last edited:

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
A couple more things I thought of: A little bit longer drive but I made a day trip to Madison at the beginning of the summer. They have a farmers market all around the capital on Saturday mornings (dont expect to compare it to Des Moines though) as well as several craft breweries and neat shops on State St. New Glarus is then only about 20 mins south of Madison.

Also in southwest WI is House on the Rock. Another that I haven't been to because its a little pricey but it's on my rainy day list.

The lower Wisconsin River is also really good to canoe/kayak/tube on and there are several places to rent from in that area.

D

Deleted member 8507

Eagle Point Park north of the QC's 45 minutes has on of the best views of the Mississippi River. Worth the trip.
Wildcat Den State Park is 15 minutes down the road (Hwy 22 or 61) toward Muscatine. Great trails, grist mill, and camping.

D

Deleted member 8507

Think there's a winery out past it as well. If you're in to visiting Clinton when you're in the QCA.
There is a winery with restaurant (Tycoga) south of Maquoketa now, right on Hwy 61. Also, both Maquoketa and Blue Grass have drive-in theaters.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Pikes Peak State Park is maybe a bit more north than your criteria, but definitely a good view. Lots of nice scenery up north around Dubuque.

Also I second the Wildcat Den recommendation. Had some very good memories of that place in my younger days.

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Pikes Peak State Park is maybe a bit more north than your criteria, but definitely a good view. Lots of nice scenery up north around Dubuque.

Also I second the Wildcat Den recommendation. Had some very good memories of that place in my younger days.

Seriously? There is a Pikes Peak State Park in Iowa? That just isn't right. Where is the National Park Service to step in with an injunction to prevent such fraud and trademark infringement.

JohnnyKilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 1, 2011
LeClaire, IA
I would recommend LeClaire too - about a 15 minute drive, lots of shops downtown to visit, and now have a brewery, winery, and distillery. The Mississippi River Distilling Company is owned by big Cyclone fans Ryan and Garrett Burchett - they are there every day making the booze. Worth the visit for sure.

• Winner
Reactions: Farnsworth

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I would recommend LeClaire too - about a 15 minute drive, lots of shops downtown to visit, and now have a brewery, winery, and distillery. The Mississippi River Distilling Company is owned by big Cyclone fans Ryan and Garrett Burchett - they are there every day making the booze. Worth the visit for sure.

River Baron is great ****. Too bad they don't carry it many places in DSM. You have to go to WDSM Hy-Vee.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
If you are in the Muscatine area, the lunch buffet at "A Guy and a Grill" is amazing.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Going to agree with the suggestions to head to Green Tree Brewery in Leclaire, just make sure to get a Mintery Night (chocolate/coffee stout). Um yum.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Have to be in davenport thurs/friday for work and then again on monday. Have done everything in the davenport area a million times but curious if there is anything cool to see/do with in an hour or 2 of davenport (north south east) that doesnt include the chicago area (been there a million times) Adults, no children.

On Madison, I would add that they always have free live music at their Memorial Union, or at least they used to. It would be outside on the Terrace in the summer and indoors at the Rathskeller other times of the year (or in the event of bad weather). With Madison between Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis, good bands are always going through.

Their Memorial Union is near downtown, and all the bars, and sits in relation to the lakes as the Central Emporium etc. do to the Iowa Great Lakes (on an isthmus facing west/northwest).

Below are a few links.

This week's lineup:
https://union.wisc.edu/events-and-activities/event-calendar/AdvSearchForm/?Categories_ID[1]=1

General
https://union.wisc.edu/visit/memorial-union/

Terrace Link
https://union.wisc.edu/visit/terrace-at-the-memorial-union/

History lecture from Rodney Dangerfield's movie Back to School, filmed on campus:

The Mississippi Valley Blues Festival is this weekend in Davenport:
http://wqad.com/2017/05/02/mississippi-valley-blues-festival-announces-2017-lineups/

. . . but sounds like you're not interested in it.