NBA: ***Official NBA Draft and Offseason Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Marc Stein

✔@ESPNSteinLine

League sources: Cavs, Pacers and Nuggets have discussed a three-way deal that would land Paul George in Cleveland and Kevin Love in Denver

Monte might be on the move

I think it's more likely that the the Nuggets move one of the other guards on the roster - probably Mudiay, but maybe Harris - and that opens up an opportunity for Monte in Denver. But a trade could happen. If the Pacers trade PG, they're basically starting over so young, cheap players like Monte could be ideal for them.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Hmm. I wonder what the Pacers are asking for from Denver?

Harris or Mudiay and one of Gallinari, Faried, or Chandler plus a top 3 protected first round pick in 2018.

So Denver gets Kevin Love, Cleveland gets Paul George, and Indy starts from scratch with young, cheap assets and what will likely be two picks in the top 20 in the 2018 draft. It's not a great deal for the Pacers, but at least it would be better than the turd sandwich that the Bulls got for Butler. The Nuggets get a PF who would fit in nicely playing alongside Jokic, and the Cavs get an all star who can guard KD so Lebron doesn't have to.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Harris or Mudiay and one of Gallinari, Faried, or Chandler plus a top 3 protected first round pick in 2018.

So Denver gets Kevin Love, Cleveland gets Paul George, and Indy starts from scratch with young, cheap assets and what will likely be two picks in the top 20 in the 2018 draft. It's not a great deal for the Pacers, but at least it would be better than the turd sandwich that the Bulls got for Butler. The Nuggets get a PF who would fit in nicely playing alongside Jokic, and the Cavs get an all star who can guard KD so Lebron doesn't have to.

I'm not down on the Bulls trade at all.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
For all the people that hate the Bulls trade I have a question/s for you.

What if Indiana had made the same deal with the Timberwolves for Paul George? Indiana sends PG to T-wolves for Lavine, Dunn and 7th overall pick. From an Indiana perspective would that be a good or bad deal?

I believe most would say that it is good deal because Indiana got something for George rather then nothing when he left in free agency.

If you apply that same logic in Chicago it is a good deal. While Jimmy didn't threaten leaving, Jimmy Butler will command a Super Max deal in two yrs. (I know he has three yrs left but 3rd yr is player option). The Bulls are in no position to really build team up before Jimmy hits Super Max and after he got that money Chi would be a rebirth of the Knicks.

The Bulls get a player in Lavine that is 5.5 yrs younger and better at age 22 then Jimmy was. The Bulls are in a position to allow Zach to be the PG that he wants to be and grow even more. They also got Porzingis light in Markkanen. Kris Dunn is better then Canaan and Grant, so you can get rid of a few PG's.

But all of that is secondary to the most important part of the deal which was moving Butler. Butler is a fringe Super Max player. Don't get me wrong he is good, but when you have Butler getting 200 million he needs to be better. At 25-30 mill per yr he will hamstring the Wolves in two yrs and Minny will be exactly like the Bulls the last 7-8 yrs or so.

Comparing PG and Butler is apples to oranges. PG told the Pacers he wouldn't be coming back, which ******* detonated his trade value. Pritchard is scrambling to generate some leverage now. I bet roughly 90% of the trade rumors involving PG right now are coming from the Pacers front office. With Butler you have the player under control for two full seasons, and you don't know if Bulter is still going to command the super max by that time. It's possible, but the way the league votes on its All NBA teams puts guys like him at a disadvantage because of the glut of elite small forwards in the NBA right now.

I think the Bulls had the right idea in blowing it up and starting over, but the timing was all wrong. And they didn't get enough back. Lots of upside with Lavine but he still hasn't proved it. And the jury's out on Dunn, but in his rookie season he looked a lot like a guy who is going to be a really good defender who is absolutely cluelsee on offense.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
If Boston is able to sign Heyward or Blake and then trade for Paul George that could be good news for Nader. They will need to fill out the back end of that roster with guys on minimum/rookie deals.

Reactions: WalkingCY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The ultimate "Something must give" situation just came to its conclusion in New York.

You had Phil Jackson who had been associated with NBA winning as much as anybody, and then you had the worst run franchise in American sports for the past 20 years.

In the end the Knicks were too Knicks and remain the Knicks even with Phil's help. We'll never know if Phil had lost his touch or not in his later years there, but we'll always know they are still the Knicks. They'll keep on losing despite having advantages other franchises dream about.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The Knicks cutting Jackson loose should have been done last year but at least it is done now. There is no reason they should lose that many games with Anthony and Porzingas. I think if they let Hornacek run his offense the team will be a lot more fun to watch and win more games. Will they be great? no. But they should be entertaining.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The Knicks cutting Jackson loose should have been done last year but at least it is done now. There is no reason they should lose that many games with Anthony and Porzingas. I think if they let Hornacek run his offense the team will be a lot more fun to watch and win more games. Will they be great? no. But they should be entertaining.

I'm not sure you can apply logic or reason to why the Knicks lose. I used to try even before Phil entered the picture. They're just the Knicks.

Reactions: rholtgraves

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If Boston is able to sign Heyward or Blake and then trade for Paul George that could be good news for Nader. They will need to fill out the back end of that roster with guys on minimum/rookie deals.

Yeah, but do you think there's any truth to that rumor? It seems off to me that Ainge would sit on all those assets this long only to cash them in for what might just be a one year rental of PG. That's an all-in move. Seems like he'd want something more concrete if he's been this patient up til now.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I wouldn't even know where to start with fixing that mess, other than do not bring back Derrick Rose under any circumstances. I guess I'd look to either buy out Carmelo or get a list of teams he'd approve a trade to and take 50 cents on the dollar or less just to get him out of town for some prospects/and or picks. I just don't know what his trade value is anymore. I like him as the third or fourth option or as an instant offense guy off the bench for a contender, but who knows if he'd buy into that role? They have Porzingis and a couple decent prospects on the roster, so maybe the smart play is to let the young guys get out and run in an offense like Hornacek ran in Phoenix and try to build off that and another lottery pick next summer.