INSIDER: Brown, Lathon set visits while Stewart never came

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I understand the wait and see, but when does Prohm need to start reeling in recruits? He's won so far with mainly Fred's guys. I want to see how this season goes, but we really do need some momentum on the trail or this could go south fast......
Jackson, young, babb, long, lard, wigginton, lewis, jacobson, shayock. Well duh he's won so far with Fred's recruits, did you think her recruit over Naz, Thomas and Monte? I agree they need to start getting some recruits, but this is like the very beginning of 2018 commitment cycle. Lewis, Wigginton and McNeil all committed in like September-october. Hopefully we get either Green or Harris , both would be a home run. Tough last month for sure.

Cardinal&Gold11

Nov 6, 2007
The land of Eastern Iowa University
I should've rephrased. I'm not saying he hasn't brought in any recruits, I just see us as real thin so far going forward, and missing out on some of these other guys is frustrating, is all. I want to keep our streak alive, and we need to lock in some more guys. I understand missing a tourney isn't the end of the world, but keeping that momentum going would be huge for the optics of this program. I am by no means a Prohm hater. Quite the opposite actually. I think he is a good coach, and a good fit here.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I dont think anyone is trashing the head coach but it does feel like he might need some better recruiters around him to help bring in the players we want here. Its either that or they need to change their recruiting philosophy from going after southern kids and stick to mostly Midwestern kids with the rest of the country sprinkled in.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I dont think anyone is trashing the head coach but it does feel like he might need some better recruiters around him to help bring in the players we want here. Its either that or they need to change their recruiting philosophy from going after southern kids and stick to mostly Midwestern kids with the rest of the country sprinkled in.

You and I said the same thing in different words. Your words are better.

Reactions: isutrevman

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I bet prohms staff is having a come-to jesus-meeting with Campbells staff about where to improve.

We're getting visits. We have top 5 fan support. We've been in the tourney every year since these kids have turned teenagers. It's gotta be relationship building.

You and I said the same thing in different words. Your words are better.

Wut?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I understand the wait and see, but when does Prohm need to start reeling in recruits? He's won so far with mainly Fred's guys. I want to see how this season goes, but we really do need some momentum on the trail or this could go south fast......

He has brought in 13 players the last 2 off seasons, 5 of them being Freshmen and one being a damn good JUCO SG. So basically he has turned the roster in 2 years.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
If he didn't bring in recruits we wouldn't be able to field a team!

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
He has brought in 13 players the last 2 off seasons, 5 of them being Freshmen and one being a damn good JUCO SG. So basically he has turned the roster in 2 years.

I think everyone is thinking about Prohm's quotes '"Yes," Iowa State basketball coach Steve Prohm said. His Iowa State basketball team will include more than 10 scholarship players eligible to play next season.'

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...one-more-cyclone-basketball-commit/318735001/

He is currently at 9. There are other Prohm quotes out there stating he wants to add a veteran SG with one of the two open scholly's.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think what is concerning is that I don't know if ISU is the favorite for maybe any of its top targets right now except for maybe the latest offer Conditt.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I think what is concerning is that I don't know if ISU is the favorite for maybe any of its top targets right now except for maybe the latest offer Conditt.
I don't think anyone knows,who the favorites are. Everyone is posses because we thought we led with Juiston, Marrow, Lathon. Turns out the notion that any of them had us as a "favorite" was wrong. There are still going to be a lot of kids we become involved with that we don't know about yet. This time last year none of us had heard of Lewis, McNeil or Wigginton. Lewis was our first committ, in early August. We've got a long way to go.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
You guys are aware every school misses out on some of their top targets right? Some years will be better than others.

• Agree
Reactions: CyJeans

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I think everyone is thinking about Prohm's quotes '"Yes," Iowa State basketball coach Steve Prohm said. His Iowa State basketball team will include more than 10 scholarship players eligible to play next season.'

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...one-more-cyclone-basketball-commit/318735001/

He is currently at 9. There are other Prohm quotes out there stating he wants to add a veteran SG with one of the two open scholly's.

Yes, I don't think its a case of picking sides as to who is a Prohm basher or not. Everyone wants the same thing... a competitive team that keeps the strong tradition going. We all love our Cyclones. And we know the staff is working like crazy to get quality players that fit. Like I said in a previous post, Prohm did express to a source at one of the Cyclone Tour events that he was down about not being able to fill 13 scholarships in year 3. I think even he would admit that he is surprised and somewhat disappointed that recruiting has been this challenging in certain aspects for year 3. Having said that, not sure he or any fan can necessarily put a finger on what could be changed or needs tweeking in approach.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't think anyone knows,who the favorites are. Everyone is posses because we thought we led with Juiston, Marrow, Lathon. Turns out the notion that any of them had us as a "favorite" was wrong. There are still going to be a lot of kids we become involved with that we don't know about yet. This time last year none of us had heard of Lewis, McNeil or Wigginton. Lewis was our first committ, in early August. We've got a long way to go.

Actually most knew who Lewis was because they had been recruiting him for awhile and same with Wigginton.

• Disagree

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
You guys are aware every school misses out on some of their top targets right? Some years will be better than others.

In some posters defense, no Iowa State fan should ever take off the nut cup. But at the same time, some people clearly have allowed it to restrict blood flow.

This is just the same "he is only 6'8" and not 6'10"" trying to brace for the come back to reality kick to the nuts just manifested in an equally irrational form.

College basketball is a crap shoot. You can recruit like Coach Cal ($UNLV$) and still suck or you can find diamonds in the rough and make the national championship game (Butler). We are never going to have the same batting average as KU unless we win some national championships. Otherwise, like every other solid yet not championship caliber program we are going to win some and lose some on the recruiting front. Kids turn us down all the time, nothing has changed.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I felt much better after reading the CCL and Canadian U-19 threads!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron