Anyone else following this? (legalization of Fireworks in Iowa)

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Can I shoot bottle rockets off my deck yet?
My first question would be, do you have a deck? My second question would be do you have bottle rockets? If the answers to those two questions is yes then hell yeah boi go shoot some bottle rockets off that deck.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Shooting them off is offically legal now and tents are popping up all over the place. Makes me feel like I am back in Kansas! I have seen quite a few complaints on FB/Twitter complaining about them so we will see if cities put some more restrictions on after the 4th. Also Cedar Rapids alone has had three house fires that have been attributed to mis-disposal of fireworks.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
They are legal now? That explains the ******* morons in the neighborhood shooting them off 3 - 4 times a week. I'll never understand the appeal.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
NveYL_s-200x150.gif

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Shooting them off is offically legal now and tents are popping up all over the place. Makes me feel like I am back in Kansas! I have seen quite a few complaints on FB/Twitter complaining about them so we will see if cities put some more restrictions on after the 4th. Also Cedar Rapids alone has had three house fires that have been attributed to mis-disposal of fireworks.

Nevada apparently must have the loosest restrictions. Every night firing the loud professional stuff that makes me yearn for the days of just hearing bottle rockets.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
They're still illegal here in Johnston, but I believe legal 2 blocks over in Grimes.

Didn't stop my neighbors from doing them on the 4th every other year, so not sure how tough they'll be enforcing anyway. As long as they don't burn my house down or wake up my kids, I have no problem with them.

Storkenheimer

Oct 2, 2011
They are legal now? That explains the ******* morons in the neighborhood shooting them off 3 - 4 times a week. I'll never understand the appeal.

It wasnt enough for rednecks to drive obnoxiously loud trucks/motorcycles... needed to add fireworks to the mix as well.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
In my town its become pretty unbearable., fireworks going off until at least midnight during the week and 3-4 on weekends. We always go on a sunday drive checking crops etc and the dirt roads are absolutely covered with firework litter. I dont get how people think that since its the country its ok to park on a road, light off fireworks and just leave all your crap lay. were blocking both ends of the road with equipment the weekend of the fourth. One good thing is that people were given a chance to prove they could do it responsibly, failed and now it can go away.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
One thing I've noticed is most of those complaints are centered around stuff that is still illegal. People complain about the late hour of fireworks or that young kids are shooting them off.

I also think that this is anecdotal evidence but I haven't noticed much of a difference in actual fireworks but we have seen a significant rise in complaints.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I also think that this is anecdotal evidence but I haven't noticed much of a difference in actual fireworks but we have seen a significant rise in complaints.

In my town one of the local fireworks stands were defending themselves saying no more fireworks will be shot off than every other year, you just wont have to drive to Missouri to get them. This in my opinion is definitely false. the neighborhoods that are having the most trouble are the trashy poorer neighborhoods and those people dont have the means to travel to Missouri but they can easily walk to the hy-vee parking lot and purchase. I definitely see a ban on sales at least where im from.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Ames Police indicated that they've received a number of complaints even though it's still illegal to shoot them off here. I personally have only heard 1 or maybe 2 go off, I'm sure the 4th will be annoying, I could see my across the street neighbors being fireworks people.

Oldcr

Sep 11, 2015
I live in Ankeny and I have yet to see a stand anywhere. Has anyone purchased any in central Iowa yet?

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I live in Ankeny and I have yet to see a stand anywhere. Has anyone purchased any in central Iowa yet?
There's at least a couple stands in Ames, one by the Walmart on Duff, one in the parking lot of what used to be Benson Motor I think it's a Yamaha dealer now or something.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron