Pumping Milk at Work

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Imagine working in these close quarters.
xfBWw2w.jpg
So is Principal going to this type of arrangement for their employees? The windows gave it away.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
So is Principal going to this type of arrangement for their employees? The windows gave it away.

Yes, they've actually had this set-up in the building in Keo for certain floors and this is a picture of the new 711 high. Keep in mind that there are a lot of different seating options where you can go if you're going to be on a conference call or something. I'm also assuming that people in call centers will not use this arrangement.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This is a bit off topic but the wife and i don't have any children yet (expecting in January!!!), how often should a woman need to pump and how long should it take? I only ask because recently we had an intern at work who was breast feeding and took several breaks a day to pump. Most days she spent 3-4 hours in the pump room, often for over an hour at a time. I've had other co workers that got by with 30-45 minutes tops during the work day. Was this intern overdoing it? Taking advantage of a naive man?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
This is a bit off topic but the wife and i don't have any children yet (expecting in January!!!), how often should a woman need to pump and how long should it take? I only ask because recently we had an intern at work who was breast feeding and took several breaks a day to pump. Most days she spent 3-4 hours in the pump room, often for over an hour at a time. I've had other co workers that got by with 30-45 minutes tops during the work day. Was this intern overdoing it? Taking advantage of a naive man?

Probably this.

I'm sure every woman is different, but I would let one of my employees use my office to do it so she could have some privacy and not have to do it in the bathroom and I think it wouldn't usually only take her 15-20 minutes.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Probably this.

I'm sure every woman is different, but I would let one of my employees use my office to do it so she could have some privacy and not have to do it in the bathroom and I think it wouldn't usually only take her 15-20 minutes.

This is what I thought as well but since she wasn't a paid employee, and its a sensitive topic these days, I let her do her thing. I had no problem with her taking work time to pump as she has no choice, it has to be done but I'm not sure there would have been a way to bring it up without sounding like a totally insensitive ass.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
It varies by the woman. The baby tends to set the schedule for the woman at first in terms of frequency. But like Carvers said, it isn't something that you can always schedule for specific times of day or lengths of time spent pumping each time. And yes, there are some women who might abuse the privilege. Some women give people ammunition to use against those who are simply trying to juggle work and infant.

Side note: congratulations! January's a great birth month. :D

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015

You can milk a cow in 20 minutes twice a day. Just sayin.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

As others have said, it varies by the woman. An hour at a time seems extreme, but who knows. I think some women have a hard time getting their milk to release when away from the baby, but just thinking about the baby or a picture would always work for me. At first, the frequency would be more often, as the baby feeds more often, but not as much milk. Maybe as often as every two hours, but usually women aren't working when the baby is that young. I don't think it ever took me more than 15 minutes at a time, but that would vary a little for different women. And sometimes the need just happens when you aren't expecting it, like seeing a baby at work, and then you spring a leak while you're going down four flights of stairs to the lactation room that is already occupied and wind up in some gross bathroom stall.

Congrats on the baby. One thing they don't usually tell you, it isn't always easy to get your baby to breastfeed with that first baby. Mine had low glucose so they fed him formula down a tube and he was lazy about it when I tried to nurse him. Then you get all these lactation experts in your room grabbing your boobs trying to show you how to coax your baby to nurse. I think a lot of new mothers are surprised that it isn't easy at first.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Ya, my wife had a real problem getting our first one to nurse and she took it pretty hard. It turned out that our oldest just wasn't all that interested in nursing and had quit by ~7 months. Our second kid took to it much faster and is still nursing occasionally at almost 1.5 yrs old.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Man, who breastfeeds at 16 months? Our youngest was eating solid food by then.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Man, who breastfeeds at 16 months? Our youngest was eating solid food by then.

I'm sure this baby is too, but breastfeeding instead of milk. I wouldn't make it that long, between 9 months and a year (depending on teeth, yikes). Some babies have allergies that make this a better option.

Reactions: Angie

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I'm sure this baby is too, but breastfeeding instead of milk. I wouldn't make it that long, between 9 months and a year (depending on teeth, yikes). Some babies have allergies that make this a better option.
Yeah - teeth can be a deal-breaker. I've known women who were still nursing kids who could vocally ask for it, while nursing younger siblings. Definitely NOT my thing...but it's their parenting style. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree with some of the choices I made with my children too. But if it's not physically harming the child, I say it's their choice.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I'm normally one to live and let live. But your company has gone out of its way to provide multiple spaces for this specific purpose. To me, the only possible reasons she's doing this are because she's actively seeking a fight, or she's passive-aggressively seeking attention.

Taking a dump is a normal and natural thing but do you think you'd get away with it if you put a chamber pot in your cubicle?

All that said, you can't say anything. You'll be the ass hole if you do.

• Disagree
Reactions: bawbie

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I'm normally one to live and let live. But your company has gone out of its way to provide multiple spaces for this specific purpose. To me, the only possible reasons she's doing this are because she's actively seeking a fight, or she's passive-aggressively seeking attention.

Taking a dump is a normal and natural thing but do you think you'd get away with it if you put a chamber pot in your cubicle?

See, I just don't understand comparing the two as equally "icky".

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

I think part of the problem is that you're comparing feeding your child to taking a **** in a public place.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron