In-State Tuition at ISU; reciprocity for neighboring counties

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Don't know how true this is now with ongoing tuition increases but there were lot of Illinois residents that went to ISU when I was there one reason being it was less expensive to pay out of state tuition to ISU for them then to pay in state tuition at the Illinois state schools. Also new a DVM from Minnesota and cost about the same to pay out of state tuition at ISU than instate at Minn Vet Med. No reason to offer reciprocity if our out of state is competitive to what others around us are paying for in state.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Don't know how true this is now with ongoing tuition increases but there were lot of Illinois residents that went to ISU when I was there one reason being it was less expensive to pay out of state tuition to ISU for them then to pay in state tuition at the Illinois state schools. Also new a DVM from Minnesota and cost about the same to pay out of state tuition at ISU than instate at Minn Vet Med. No reason to offer reciprocity if our out of state is competitive to what others around us are paying for in state.

I'd have to pull the numbers from their tuition records, but I know IL was very close in state vs. ISU out. It was a big factor for me choosing ISU.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Just checked my old tuition statement. For spring and fall 2002 combined it was $8,800 for tuition and room and board together for out of state tuition. This year it's 32,000

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Just checked my old tuition statement. For spring and fall 2002 combined it was $8,800 for tuition and room and board together for out of state tuition. This year it's 32,000

I'm pretty sure that number of 8800 is just out of state tuition for the year. I graduated a little before that and it was right around 8k for tuition when I finished, I believe, but like 6600 when I started. At the time I started Illinois was around 4-5k a year, so ISU was just a little bit more out of state vs. Illinois in-state.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'm pretty sure that number of 8800 is just out of state tuition for the year. I graduated a little before that and it was right around 8k for tuition when I finished, I believe, but like 6600 when I started. At the time I started Illinois was around 4-5k a year, so ISU was just a little bit more out of state vs. Illinois in-state.

Im looking at the bills right now and tuition is 6200 and room/board is 2600. Books/fees are extra but dont have those numbers.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
This is still pretty true today.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
ISU gets so many students now with record enrollment that they probably don't care or need to worry about doing something like this.

Reactions: abcguyks

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Im looking at the bills right now and tuition is 6200 and room/board is 2600. Books/fees are extra but dont have those numbers.

In 2002? I'll have to go digging. That seems low, but if true it really points to an even steeper tuition increase line.

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
My son considered attending becoming a Cyclone when he graduated HS in 2009. As an Illinois resident, ISU was offering what was called an "Excellence in Academics" scholarship, for which they had two levels. The lower level required an ACT of 26, and a number of specific course requirements, and earned you a $4500/year scholarship (for 4 years). The higher lever required a ACT of 28 plus additional course requirements (4 years of math, science, etc..) and earned you a $6000/year scholarship (for 4 years). He qualified for the higher amount. ISU then offered an additional $1000/year as the child of an ISU grad. So his total was $7K/year. At the time ISU's out of state tuition was +/- $18K, for a net of about $11K. He ended up at University of Illinois (Champaign/Urbana), which has the highest tuition rate of all the Illinois state schools. At the time, his in-state tuition was between $12 and $13K. But then he ended up in the College of Business, where they add a $4500 annual surchange (same for engineering, and less for other science majors). So ISU would have been a lower cost option for him. Not sure they continue to offer these scholarships but they helped offset the out of state penalty for Illinois kids. UIUC engineering and business schools are also have very strict admission requirements (especially for kids from the Chicago suburbs) so if you interested in those fields, ISU is a great alternative. (and a more beautiful campus with a better football and basketball team).

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Here's the breakdown:

Out-of-State Tuition & Fees: $22,256 (+$275 increase this accedemic year for Fall)
Housing & Meals $8,762 (Turns out, that this is short for meal plan by nearly $1,000)
Books & Supplies $994
Transportation $900
Other Additional Education Costs $2,030 (BEER?)

Beer, right?

Reactions: TXCyclones

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Didn't former President Leath look into ruling where if two married ISU alumni that live out of state had kids, and they wanted to go to ISU, that they would grant in-state tuition? Any chance that talk comes back?

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
For Illinois residents ISU will offer aid to those who have high ACT and grades, also minority status and legacy - it is less expensive for my daughter to attend Iowa State than to go to Illinois at Champaign.

Reactions: cychase_

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
I'd have to pull the numbers from their tuition records, but I know IL was very close in state vs. ISU out. It was a big factor for me choosing ISU.
Out of state for ISU when I enrolled in 2014 was something like 6k less than in state at UIUC, but I also received the out of state scholarships and a grant which made it literally 1/4 of the price of in state at Illinois.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Out of state for ISU when I enrolled in 2014 was something like 6k less than in state at UIUC, but I also received the out of state scholarships and a grant which made it literally 1/4 of the price of in state at Illinois.

I know financial aid to UIUC hasn't improved since 2005/2006 when I was looking, so I can fully see that ISU would have become a no brainer financially.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I was just talking to family in MSP about this last weekend. UofM and Wiscy have reciprocity, but I believe their tuition is relatively close, whereas ISU is much less. Given that, I doubt either ISU nor UM or Wisconsin would have any interest in that.