DC Extended Universe

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Wonder Woman was fantastic. The "no mans land" scene was my favorite by far.

Only disappointment for me is that my 7 year old daughter wants to see it so bad and I just wish the whole sex dialog on the boat and the **** size dialog wasn't in it. I don't think I'll let her see it because of that.

It was awkward and stupid. Seemed to kill the flow of the film at that moment. At least it moved on quickly after that.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
She definitely deserves more and hopefully will get her career launched from the success of the film. She did a great job.

I was reading an article yesterday that the news about Gal Gadot's salary was a bit-overblown. Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr and Chris Hemsworth pulled in similar figures for their first superhero movies and then cashed in for future installments. I believe she is contracted to make $300,000 for each Wonder Woman DCEU appearance, so that includes her brief cameo in BvS as well as the upcoming Justice League. She will no doubt cash in for Wonder Woman 2.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-pay-henry-cavill-1202117011/

Now, the argument still can be made that she has earned less than her male co-stars so far.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I was reading an article yesterday that the news about Gal Gadot's salary was a bit-overblown. Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr and Chris Hemsworth pulled in similar figures for their first superhero movies and then cashed in for future installments. I believe she is contracted to make $300,000 for each Wonder Woman DCEU appearance, so that includes her brief cameo in BvS as well as the upcoming Justice League. She will no doubt cash in for Wonder Woman 2.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-pay-henry-cavill-1202117011/

Now, the argument still can be made that she has earned less than her male co-stars so far.

The gender wage ******** needs to die. Im done with all of that. Regardless, she performed fantastically and I hope she is rewarded as she progresses in her career. I read a bit about what you are referring to and it makes sense. Some properties are a leap of faith and she is fairly unknown until now.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The gender wage ******** needs to die. Im done with all of that. Regardless, she performed fantastically and I hope she is rewarded as she progresses in her career. I read a bit about what you are referring to and it makes sense. Some properties are a leap of faith and she is fairly unknown until now.

She was actually considering quitting acting until right before she got the Wonder Woman gig.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
She was actually considering quitting acting until right before she got the Wonder Woman gig.

Glad she didnt. While its easy to get hung up on her looks, shes a very intelligent and seemingly humble family-oriented woman. I hope she is able to maintain that with the growing popularity.

Reactions: Triggermv

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Easy to say now that it was such a hit and done well. There was a ton of uncertainty in the DC universe. I think there is no doubt she will command a much larger chunk of change for the wonder woman sequel.

In the toy and collectibles industry wonder woman really got penalized for BvS and Suicide Club underperforming expectations. There's a huge opportunity right now for anyone with the right licensing and manufacturing connections to get WW licensed products out asap while it's still hot and to try to make the home video release window with products, typical stuff but also stuff aimed at young girls. I'd say biggest opportunity since Frozen was a surprise undermerchandised mega hit.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
My daughters and I saw Wonder Woman on Father's Day (wife doesn't like tbose movies). I'm not a big super hero movie guy, but I thought this movie was outstanding. My girls loved it, too, though I agree witht the sex talk scenes being out of place. And that made for a little awkwardness with a 9 and 14 year old.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Bump, is no one else intrigued by HBO picking up a watchmen series?

Truthfully, I've just never been too much into The Watchmen, but I've always wondered if I'm just missing out. Regardless, I'll be checking out the series for sure sometime. Hardest part is that I don't have HBO, nor do I really want to get it. Therefore, it might be a little difficult to watch.

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah I enjoyed Watchmen somewhat, but dont get super pumped about it. Was just not into the property. Ill check out the series though because HBO makes good stuff.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Truthfully, I've just never been too much into The Watchmen, but I've always wondered if I'm just missing out. Regardless, I'll be checking out the series for sure sometime. Hardest part is that I don't have HBO, nor do I really want to get it. Therefore, it might be a little difficult to watch.
I get HBO for Game of Thrones then cancel afterwards. The benefit of that is all their original series can be watched on demand with a subscription.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yeah I enjoyed Watchmen somewhat, but dont get super pumped about it. Was just not into the property. Ill check out the series though because HBO makes good stuff.
I never even heard of them before the movie. I imagine they are getting this deal because DC comics have been running a Justice League vs Watchmen series.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I guess I'm not that interested in a Watchmen series and to see Damon Lindelof attached leaves me underwhelmed. I just got done watching The Leftovers and while it was OK, all I could think of was that this is the exact same plot points as Lost. I don't want to see yet another show start off strongly and then lose steam after Season 1. Although, the finale for the Leftovers was way better than how Lost ended. I will say, Alan Moore's depiction of the 80s in that comic would mirror our modern political and social climate - there could be some really thought provoking moments.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Wonder Woman is on-pace to be the highest grossing (domestic) film of the DCEU. It made $25 million this past weekend, putting it's Box Office total at a little over $318 million which moved it up to third place (ahead of Man of Steel). It needs to make another $7 million to pass Suicide Squad and $12+ million to beat of BvS for the top spot.

And not really DCEU-related, but io9 has a glowing review up for War of the Planet of the Apes which was directed by Matt Reeves who will be directing the solo "The Batman" movie. I found these quotes refreshing to read and hope that Warner Bros. has found the right director for this movie to succeed:

When War for the Planet of the Apes ended, I was unable to move. Glued to my seat, I sat dumbfounded at the achievement I’d just witnessed: an exquisitely filmed, emotionally stunning film that challenges what a big-budget, summer blockbuster is supposed to be. And it’s about a planet of apes.

Those complexities are handled brilliantly by director Matt Reeves. From the opening shot, which recaps the first two films in a succinct, poetic way, he’s in total control of the the film’s tone, pathos, character, and story. His precision is remarkable: He handles the quiet scenes with the same precision as the giant action scenes, , but he can also make you scared of your mind just as effortlessly. He seeds exposition subtly and organically into scenes, but in others he can tell you everything you need without saying a single word.

Reactions: CycloneErik