In-State Tuition at ISU; reciprocity for neighboring counties

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I know KU and K-State have reciprocity (in-state tuition) for all students living in a county neighboring the state lines of Kansas, basically to include Kansas City, Missouri as "in state." Texas does similar. Does Iowa State have anything similar?... in particular to get more students from Omaha, Sioux Falls or Moline?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
my home county bordered IA. Last I knew, Iowa State did not do anything like this.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I know KU and K-State have restitution (in-state tuition) for all students living in a county neighboring the state lines of Kansas, basically to include Kansas City, Missouri as "in state." Texas does similar. Does Iowa State have anything similar?... in particular to get more students from Omaha, Sioux Falls or Moline?

I asked a similar question a couple years ago about "reciprocity." I asked if they gave residents of neighboring states in-state tuition. The answer was "no." However, there are scholarships for students from those states that can off-set tuition to try and entice students from those states. So, in a way, they do offer a reduced tuition, but its not automatic.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Not that it helps much, but I grew up in Moline and paid out-of-state tuition back in the early 90's

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I asked a similar question a couple years ago about "reciprocity." I asked if they gave residents of neighboring states in-state tuition. The answer was "no." However, there are scholarships for students from those states that can off-set tuition to try and entice students from those states. So, in a way, they do offer a reduced tuition, but its not automatic.

correct, there is some type of academic excellence scholarship for which I believe the amount varies by your GPA level. Been a few years so the details are rusty. Several thousand for each of the first three years.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
correct, there is some type of academic excellence scholarship for which I believe the amount varies by your GPA level. Been a few years so the details are rusty. Several thousand for each of the first three years.

Barely dents the out of state cost by comparison. My daughter was awarded $40K scholarship which was out of state assistance, academic, and legacy. We still have $24,942/yr to cover. She doesn't qualify for student loans. Fortunately we have been shoving money into a mutual fund for years, so we are covered. But having just finished orientation this week with a trip back to Iowa, her ISU education will be worth every penny. She and I are both very excited.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Barely dents the out of state cost by comparison. My daughter was awarded $40K scholarship which was out of state assistance, academic, and legacy. We still have $24,942/yr to cover. She doesn't qualify for student loans. Fortunately we have been shoving money into a mutual fund for years, so we are covered. But having just finished orientation this week with a trip back to Iowa, her ISU education will be worth every penny. She and I are both very excited.

welp, certainly seems that prices have gone up since I was starting 11 (!!) years ago.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
welp, certainly seems that prices have gone up since I was starting 11 (!!) years ago.

Here's the breakdown:

Out-of-State Tuition & Fees: $22,256 (+$275 increase this accedemic year for Fall)
Housing & Meals $8,762 (Turns out, that this is short for meal plan by nearly $1,000)
Books & Supplies $994
Transportation $900
Other Additional Education Costs $2,030

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Here's the breakdown:

Out-of-State Tuition & Fees: $22,256 (+$275 increase this accedemic year for Fall)
Housing & Meals $8,762 (Turns out, that this is short for meal plan by nearly $1,000)
Books & Supplies $994
Transportation $900
Other Additional Education Costs $2,030

ok, so that is with all the junk thrown in. I was thinking just the tuition and fees portion. Believe that was 17.5k when I went. Can't remember what housing and meal plan cost.

Reading this makes me feel like not only should I be getting on a daycare waitlist for my non-existent kids, I should be starting a college fund as well, eeps.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron