BLUM: 2017 NBA Draft Primer

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Interesting that Butler has said he is trying to convince Lowry to join the Bulls, although from what I have read he is pretty happy in Toronto.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Of course the Lakers could shock people and take Fox over Ball. Which I would do in a heartbeat.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I heard that about Jackson as well. But it also made me think LA was taking him bc of his connection with Magic but then they traded their one time PG of the future so I assume they are taking Ball now.
It's weird because Jackson never worked out for Boston. They seem sold on Tatum. But as you all now, plenty of smoke-screens out there. Also some thought Chicago wants to move up to take Jackson or Tatum. Bottom line is I expect movement outside the top two.
Yeah I really don't know what Boston is going to do, but the whole team guaranteeing Jackson a spot is really throwing me for a loop. Probably could just be smoke and mirrors. I would love to see the Lakers pass on Lonzo, solely to see how LaVar reacts.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Yeah I really don't know what Boston is going to do, but the whole team guaranteeing Jackson a spot is really throwing me for a loop. Probably could just be smoke and mirrors. I would love to see the Lakers pass on Lonzo, solely to see how LaVar reacts.
Oh man can you imagine. especially since Lavar wouldn't let Lonzo work out for any other teams.

Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Interesting that Butler has said he is trying to convince Lowry to join the Bulls, although from what I have read he is pretty happy in Toronto.
Kyle stated that he wanted to move on, after they got bounced from the playoffs, I'm pretty sure. That could have changed since then, though. I would LOVE to see Kyle on the Bulls

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Oh man can you imagine. especially since Lavar wouldn't let Lonzo work out for any other teams.
Exactly, it will just be another peg on the board of what LaVar has done to hinder his sons ability to make money on his likeness. I don't think he would fall that far if he got passed on by the Lakers, but it would be fun to watch the chaos that ensues on all media outlets haha

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
Kyle stated that he wanted to move on, after they got bounced from the playoffs, I'm pretty sure. That could have changed since then, though. I would LOVE to see Kyle on the Bulls

Aren't the bulls rumored to be the favorites for Teodosic, too? That guy is awesome

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Kennard should not be going in the lottery. I've seen a lot of mocks with him going in the lottery and I don't get it. Have teams learned nothing from Adam Morrison, Jimmer Fredette, and others??

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Kennard should not be going in the lottery. I've seen a lot of mocks with him going in the lottery and I don't get it. Have teams learned nothing from Adam Morrison, Jimmer Fredette, and others??

I think I would take a flyer on someone that is little bit raw but has a huge upside over Kennard. I don't get him being taken that high either. You can get guys like him later in the draft.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
@brentblum do you know anything about this Hartenstein kid? I have a work relationship with a guy that played with him in Germany so curious as to where he ends up.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think I would take a flyer on someone that is little bit raw but has a huge upside over Kennard. I don't get him being taken that high either. You can get guys like him later in the draft.
I think that has a direct reflection of the lack of premier perimeter shooters in this draft class. It seems all coveted 3 point shooters other than Kennard and Monk are either stretch-4's or PGs.

Reactions: rholtgraves

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
A strong feeling, no? And I realize Boston won't take Fox, but I have a feeling someone will trade up to #3 to get Fox.

I think the Kings are going to wait and see if the Lakers (or the Pacers...make the deal, Magic!) pass on Fox, and if that happens they'll try to move up to # 3 to get him. Which is a terrible idea since there's a decent chance he'll fall to them right where they are at # 5. And if he isn't then it's an extremely deep draft for point guards.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
@brentblum do you know anything about this Hartenstein kid? I have a work relationship with a guy that played with him in Germany so curious as to where he ends up.
From what I've read, could be a late 1st round pick. Very young and raw, but hard to find 7'2 guys that are mobile.

Reactions: ForbinsAscynt

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I don't know, I was just never THAT impressed with Jackson. Don't get me wrong, he's really good and has great potential, but I was never wowed by him the way I was with say Wiggins or Embiid. Lottery pick? Sure. Potential Top 3 pick in what appears to be a very good draft? Not so sure.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't know, I was just never THAT impressed with Jackson. Don't get me wrong, he's really good and has great potential, but I was never wowed by him the way I was with say Wiggins or Embiid. Lottery pick? Sure. Potential Top 3 pick in what appears to be a very good draft? Not so sure.

Well, I haven't been wowed by anyone as much as I was with Embiid since he was at KU. and probably not anyone before that back to Anthony Davis. If the Sixers can actually keep their guys healthy they should be a really fun team to watch. Fultz has his own injury problems last year but nothing serious.

To me Jackson has the most potential of anybody in this draft of being a megastar because of his competitiveness, versatility on offense and the fact he loves playing defense and wants to be a good defender, and his physical ability. The other guy I put in that category is Fox. With Fultz, Ball, Tatum, Monk you have really good offensive players but they have other things missing. Fultz isn't known as a defender and has always played on a losing team. Ball has questions about how he will score in the league and he is pretty bad defensively and not a great athlete. Tatum has a good all around offensive game but not elite athlete, doesn't play great defense. And with all of Wiggins physical abilities he still is rather raw in his basketball ability and IQ. Jackson is ahead of Wiggins in many aspects of the game at the same age.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Josh Jackson had some games where he looked like he was absolutely unstoppable on both sides of the ball, and those in big situations. Scouts love hanging their hat on the type of stuff with 19 year olds. I think he will be very very solid in the NBA, but his overall production will be based on which team he falls to, IMO.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron