Car Purchase-talk me out of it

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Alternative perspective:

What are you going to do with it? Research lately has shown that the positive impact of buying objects is often short-term at best (i.e., 6 months later you're no happier as a result of buying the thing). What are you really buying it for? Is it a hobby to work on a corvette? Just to drive it around feeling cool? To take on road trips with family? How much time will you spend doing things with the car and what is the lasting value of that time and experience/memories? What does seem to lead to long-term happiness is having positive, unique, and memorable experiences. Don't get me wrong, that might include the vette. I would say just make sure you don't spend a bunch of time/money researching and buying the thing only to drive to costco and back on sunny weekends. That won't leave you happy with your purchase after you've had it for a year.

If you want the Corvette, have plans of what you are going to do with it that will be unique, fun, and memorable. Also, I would suggest finding ways to share those experiences with those you care about (i.e., wife/kids/friends/etc.). If you don't have ideas for doing that, you probably don't need the Corvette yet even though you can certainly pay for it.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: aauummm and st8cydr

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Serious question, why do you want talked out of it?

If you want it buy it, it's pretty simple.

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
These are pretty reasonably priced if you are patient and aren't super picky about color. You should be able to get it for well under $20K, and maybe closer to $10K if high mileage doesn't scare you.

There are some issues to watch out for. Some of the Z06 cars (and maybe others?) had piston ring issues which led to increased oil consumption and ring "slap" if I remember right. I like the 2002 - 2004 years for the Z06 which had the 405 hp engines (2001 had the 385 hp). If you prefer the fastback, it definitely has more storage.

The cars can pretty easily get 30 mpg on the highway if you're easy on the gas. There are a ton of upgrades if you want to spend the money (I know some of the folks pretty well if you want more info). It's hard to beat the LS for ROI when it comes to horsepower. It's a beast.
Thanks for the info. I don't think I need a Z06 to scratch the itch. I'm sure the base motor will be enough for me. I'm looking for lower mileage in part because there's less time/chance for it to be abused and I shouldn't have a lot of maintenance expense for a while. From my experience with my M I know tires don't last-even from just daily easy driving. Pricing looks like it mostly depends on the miles-and how motivated the seller is.

Anything else I should look for when inpecting?

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

Fair question. Once I get a thought in my head with something like this, reasoning is out the door and emotion takes over. This really isn't a rational purchase, but since I was a kid I've always loved Corvettes (C4s excluded). I guess I want some reasurrance that I'm not crazy...at least on this issue.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX

This is what I was thinking as well. What are his reservations? Was the thread started as just a humble brag (nothing wrong with that), or is he having second thoughts? Usually, if everything is in order as he said, and it is something I really want, I wouldn't even think twice.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Fair question. Once I get a thought in my head with something like this, reasoning is out the door and emotion takes over. This really isn't a rational purchase, but since I was a kid I've always loved Corvettes (C4s excluded). I guess I want some reasurrance that I'm not crazy...at least on this issue.
You're not crazy! We all have our quirky hobbies around here.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

That's how I am with my racing stuff. I went to a trade show in November, talked to a enclosed trailer manufacturer, designed my trailer on a scrap piece of paper, he shot me a quote and I ordered it - no reasoning needed.

Reactions: NWICY

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
You're not crazy. You've evaluated it logically, you have the means to do it. Buy it.

I'm doing the same thing next year, but I'm going to be dropping a bit more coin than you ('08 or newer Z06). I've been waiting 20 years to do this and the time is finally right.

My only recommendation - let what you're going to do with it decide whether or not you get the manual transmission. I've had two "for fun" cars, both have been manuals. I have driven them quite a bit, but there are plenty of times I leave it in the garage because of the shifter. If I want to go downtown and there will be any traffic, I leave it at home. It's great when you're in the middle of nowhere at 8am on Saturday morning. It sucks sucks sucks in stop and go traffic. My next one will be an automatic.

Reactions: st8cydr

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm considering fulfilling a long time want-a 2001-2004 Corvette. Except for the new style (C7) that are way over my budget, the 2001-2004 is my favorite body style. Although my wife has known this has been in the back of my head, it's recently moved to the forefront. (Kids are in college, but money is already set aside for that with 529s) I think I have as much of an endorsement as I'm going to get from her. I have another birthday coming up, and as a early 50 something I think it's time for the proverbial old man toy.

My justification is that I don't really have a car-I have a company car-so this would be "my" car, mostly for weekends and leisure driving. I go back and forth between a convertible and targa top. (I had a BMW m roadster a while ago so I know the +/- of a convertible.) 6 speed is a must.

This would be a cash purchase.

Discussing this with my wife anymore isn't helping. I need some testosterone perspective.

Fire away.

If you have the means and the inclination then you're in a great position to treat yourself.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Anything else I should look for when inpecting?

Ask about the Steering Column Lock issue and if they've had it addressed (A column lock bypass is a common fix).
It also may be tougher than you think to find a completely unmodified car. It's pretty common for people to install a skip shift on the manuals, otherwise under low throttle the car will automatically go from 1 to 4.
I think that's about all I remember. I'll post back if anything else comes to mind.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and st8cydr

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Why not get a Ford GT?

2015-Ford-GT.png

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
If you want it and can afford it I can't see any reason to not buy it. You can always sell it if you decide you don't drive it enough to make it worth your while.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
My dad bought one years ago, around the same age that it sounds like you are at. He drove it a lot the first couple of years, but since then it rarely moves. Usually just to get it out of the way for access to the garage it is stored in. The battery is usually dead and in need charging. He would never admit it, but it was a really stupid thing to buy.

All that said, it is a fun car when used. We took a couple trips south with room for 2 sets of golf clubs and luggage in the trunk.
Is he selling?

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
If you want it and can afford it I can't see any reason to not buy it. You can always sell it if you decide you don't drive it enough to make it worth your while.

That's another good point about this purchase - you're unlikely to lose a ton of money should you decide to sell it in 2-5 years. It has already depreciated, and there are buyers out there for them.

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I don't think he has any plans to sell it any time soon. It's one of the 50th anniversary editions. He bought it as a collectors item and plans to hang onto it for a while.
That's actually what I'm zeroing in on.