MLB: 2017 Minnesota Twins Thread

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
They keep hanging in there. This year doesn't suck.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The Twin Cities media are making it sound like the Twins are leaning toward Wright over Greene for the No. 1 pick. Who ever they take, I just hope they make it to the bigs and contribute.

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The Twin Cities media are making it sound like the Twins are leaning toward Wright over Greene for the No. 1 pick. Who ever they take, I just hope they make it to the bigs and contribute.
Recently they have changed to McKay from Louisville. I'm not super excited about him. Not a ton of upside from everything I've read.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SLCyclone

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Recently they have changed to McKay from Louisville. I'm not super excited about him. Not a ton of upside from everything I've read.

It does appear it will be one of the three. Only Wright is a clear cut pitcher and apparently he has the best control which might give him the edge.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Twins pick Royce Lewis SS from high school. Think this is going to surprise the talking head back in Minnesota.

And the Reds take Hunter Green as #2.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Lots of excitement here from the Twins fans on the #1 draft choice. :rolleyes: Okay, or not? Come on , man, you guys had the #1 ******* pick! Or maybe everyone in Iowa went Cubs?

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Lots of excitement here from the Twins fans on the #1 draft choice. :rolleyes: Okay, or not? Come on , man, you guys had the #1 ******* pick! Or maybe everyone in Iowa went Cubs?
I like baseball and the Twins are probably my favorite sports team of all time. Getting interested in the MLB draft is next to impossible though. Just the nature of the thing. Probably wont see this guy for 4-5 years now.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Twins suck at home this year but luckily have been hot on the road. Need to win this series.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Twins pick Royce Lewis SS from high school. Think this is going to surprise the talking head back in Minnesota.

And the Reds take Hunter Green as #2.

I was hoping for Hunter Green and was very surprised at the pick given that the Twins always need pitching. Lewis plays SS or CF and we already have Buxton for CF. Let's hope they are looking at Lewis as the SS of the future and that they know what they are doing.

MLB network did have Lewis as the "the best position player" in the draft. so there's that.......

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I was hoping for Hunter Green and was very surprised at the pick given that the Twins always need pitching. .......

Agree. Sounds like they wanted to go with McKay at no. 1 but he balked at the offer. With the money they have supposedly banked, we should see a good offer going to a kid in the third round who might not have ordinarily signed.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Generally speaking, the best picks at the very top of the first round are high school position players and standout college pitchers. For that reason I don't mind the pick. I was sold on not taking Greene when I read in scouting profiles that he was a mid first round talent as a position player, just too much risk in taking a high school pitcher #1 overall.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Agree. Sounds like they wanted to go with McKay at no. 1 but he balked at the offer. With the money they have supposedly banked, we should see a good offer going to a kid in the third round who might not have ordinarily signed.

If that's the case, then I don't want McKay. What happened to the day when kids were happy to make it to the pros and not worried about the $$$$ as long as it's not way off? I suppose agents have allot to do with that. I wonder what the issue was with Green? Maybe it's that his best pitch is a great fastball and his other pitches are not as good. High speed guys are also prone to arm and elbow trouble

• Funny
Reactions: Dormeezy

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Generally speaking, the best picks at the very top of the first round are high school position players and standout college pitchers. For that reason I don't mind the pick. I was sold on not taking Greene when I read in scouting profiles that he was a mid first round talent as a position player, just too much risk in taking a high school pitcher #1 overall.

I agree if that's the case. Very informative Thanks

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I was hoping for Hunter Green and was very surprised at the pick given that the Twins always need pitching. Lewis plays SS or CF and we already have Buxton for CF. Let's hope they are looking at Lewis as the SS of the future and that they know what they are doing.

MLB network did have Lewis as the "the best position player" in the draft. so there's that.......

I was thinking they were going to pick Green after his trips here and him hitting it off a little with Tori Hunter and all. Hopefully they will be able to sign Lewis. You really want a #1 to be in your lineup in 3-4 years and as a starter. Hopefully another Correa or Jeter who will do that in three years.

I watched the first five picks or so out of curiosity because the top three got a lot of pre-draft coverage here with Twins having the #1. Man, the Green kid was an impressive interview. Hard to believe he is just 17. If he were coming here to play hoops or something I would be totally psyched to have him. On the totally unimpressive interview side was McKay. And by unimpressive I mean UNIMPRESSIVE. At first he seemed pissed at his draft and then just sounded dumb. Guess I am spoiled by Georges and Naz and such.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: riceville98

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
If that's the case, then I don't want McKay..... I wonder what the issue was with Green? ....

Like McKay, Greene will most likely sign for his full slot money. With the Twins having so many early picks, they decided not to give the first pick full money and spread it out over three rounds. That evidently eliminated McKay, Greene, and possibly Wright. Not a strategy a lot of fans like, but we'll find out in about four years if it pays off for the new Twins front office.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I was thinking they were going to pick Green after his trips here and him hitting it off a little with Tori Hunter and all. Hopefully they will be able to sign Lewis. You really want a #1 to be in your lineup in 3-4 years and as a starter. Hopefully another Correa or Jeter who will do that in three years.

I watched the first five picks or so out of curiosity because the top three got a lot of pre-draft coverage here with Twins having the #1. Man, the Green kid was an impressive interview. Hard to believe he is just 17. If he were coming here to play hoops or something I would be totally psyched to have him. On the totally unimpressive interview was McKay. And by unimpressive I mean UNIMPRESSIVE. At first he seemed pissed at his draft and then just sounded dumb. Guess I am spoiled by Georges and Naz and such.

I have herd Lewis compared to George Springer so we'll hope that is spot on. They had a story on Green on the pre-draft show and how he spent time with his young sister who was fighting cancer. He is a very impressive young man and I think the Reds got a good one. Lets hope we did too.