Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I believe that was laid out in the rules back then -- in order to participate in "stock" car racing, the basic car you started with (before all the modifications) had to be available for Joe Q. Public to buy at the local dealership. When automakers introduced the winged car to NASCAR, they skirted NASCAR's rules by making some production runs of similar-looking models. That way they could call it a "stock" car and be allowed to race it.

Sort of true, but there was a minimum that had to be produced and available to the public. You're talking about the Superbird and Mopar had to produce 2 cars for every dealer in the country. After that season NASCAR banned "aero" cars and they never made the winged cars again.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I would rather masturbate with a cheese grater than watch nascar.

Prove it.

61LtStB3MUL._SY450_.jpg

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't watch it anymore, but used to watch frequently in the late 90s - early 2000s. My dad watched it, so I would sit with him while it was on tv. Why don't I watch it anymore? I just moved on - nothing more, nothing less. I might tune in to see a wreck I hear about on Twitter or on another channel's scroll. But it's been years since I intentionally sat down to watch a race.

In the 90s, my favorite sport to watch was college football - could watch almost any game on tv. In the 00s, my top sport to watch became college basketball. Still watched football, but not nearly as often. By the 10s, my favorite sport became baseball and it still is today. But I can watch (some) golf, tennis, and hockey as well.

I get why some don't like baseball, but I feel like these people maybe have discounted lifetime memberships to Short Attention Span Theater. But then I feel the same way about soccer that many do about baseball: to me, it's painfully boring and nothing ever happens. I don't hate it, but I just don't care.

I think for a lot of guys, they grew up playing things like baseball so there is that nostalgia and knowledge appeal. I played a lot of tennis in high school so I still watch a lot of it.

I don't get the ins and outs of things like Nascar or soccer so it's not entertaining. Although reading about stratagy on here it does sound interesting, not enough to watch.

I think that's why hockey isn't popular, not enough knowledge from the fans. I always thought if they took offsides away it'd have a much larger appeal.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah, but you're still going to see it. But I also have no problem with people knelling during the national anthem

Well personally I think it is rude to ring bells during the national anthem.;). Sorry Woo that was too easy to pass up.:)

• Funny
Reactions: WooBadger18

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Was talking with my dad about this and he said it's great because on Sunday afternoons he can fall asleep after the start and wake up for the last 50 laps. He has a point, IMO.

I agree. But its not unlike other sports - first quarter in football, first quarter/half in basketball, first few holes in golf, etc.

I get that NASCAR isn't for everyone and some people find it boring. But I find lots of things boring that other people enjoy. And yet I somehow find a way not to trash what they like to do/watch. To each their own.

Reactions: SpokaneCY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
In all areas that NASCAR controls on a given race weekend, the flag has no presence," France said. "We have been clear in support of this position throughout our industry and to those across the country who have called for the eradication of the Confederate Flag."

I assume this is the flag you are referring to.

You mean the recent 2015 suggestion to trade in flags? Is there something more serious they've done? I think he made a great point. It's ridiculous to think nobody could be exposed to anything offensive at a NASCAR race but your panties get in a bunch if a guy takes a knee at an NFL game. It seems the fans have gone right on with their flags and rebelled against the CEO's statements.

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...ate-flag-nascar-fans-rebel-shubhankar-chhokra

Before attacking the link, for those who aren't familiar, National Review is a respected conservative media outlet.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO and isufbcurt

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Honest question: what is the appeal of NASCAR? Pretend you are explaining it to someone who has never seen stock car racing. What would you tell them the appeal is for them, not for you.

Why the hell would I want to try and explain the appeal of something to a person for that person? I would tell them why I like it, and if they don't agree who cares?

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

95CLONE

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2014
NC Iowa
You mean the recent 2015 suggestion to trade in flags? Is there something more serious they've done? I think he made a great point. It's ridiculous to think nobody could be exposed to anything offensive at a NASCAR race but your panties get in a bunch if a guy takes a knee at an NFL game. It seems the fans have gone right on with their flags and rebelled against the CEO's statements.

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...ate-flag-nascar-fans-rebel-shubhankar-chhokra

Before attacking the link, for those who aren't familiar, National Review is a respected conservative media outlet.

What I mean is that NASCAR took a stance against a symbol that some people find offensive while the NFL did not take a stance on an action that some people find disrespectful.

When our country's national anthem is played I prefer to stand, remove my hat and place my hand over my heart as a symbol of respect for those who served our country. If someone else wants to take a knee as a symbol of something other than paying respect to those who served our country, that's his right. But, I don't have to watch. I don't have to get my panties in a bunch, I can turn the channel. That's what I've done.

The bigger point I was trying to make was that there is a culture difference between NASCAR and other sports. Its more country than city, its more red white and blue, its more blue collar. That appeals to me. Oh ya, I kinda like the prayer before every race too.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
It's the off-season, we have a NASCAR thread with a civil conversation and there's been no mention of Ricky Bobby? Thank God someone brought up their dislike for soccer at least.

vortec22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2009
Grinnell, IA
I like racing in general. Thinking about the setups on the cars, how different things affect how you enter and leave corners, how you can get engines to handle that abuse for that distance, and in NASCAR's case really a fairly simple engine/drivetrain. The different strategies that teams use and where they push the boundaries of what is legal.

Are there boring races? Yep. Just like any sport sometimes they just aren't as entertaining. And I understand that some people don't like racing, if you weren't into the mechanical aspect of it things wouldn't be as fun.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm not a racing fan, but I have seen a NASCAR event and an Indy car race live. The feel of a live race is so different than trying to watch it on tv. So, even though it's not my thing, I won't criticize anyone for enjoying it.

I have a harder time understanding someone that's not into any kind of sports at all. I can watch the end of about any sporting event if it's a nail biter.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nascar-fan-didnt-wake-up-until-everyone-else-left-the-s-1795670430

"Over 100,000 people attended this weekend’s Coke 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, per WBTV—including Jody Nash.

Nash fell asleep at some point during the Coke 600 weekend, which was somewhat understandable given the way NASCAR’s longest race suffered a nearly one-hour, 40-minute rain delay that pushed the checkered flag well past midnight. When she woke up at the speedway, everybody was gone, including the people she came to the speedway with.

'Hey, Mom, I’m okay!' Nash told WBTV, holding a Bud Light. 'I’m still here in Turn 2!'”

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron