VEGAS: Iowa favored by 2 for 2017 Cy-Hawk game

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Looking/playing well in the opener is rarely a factor in how this game plays out. In fact, more often than not, the team that looks like garbage week 1 comes out at dominates this game.

It was a pretty good indicator last year though.
It's been a long time, if ever, since ISU has dominated this game.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Gent

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Didn't expect it to be that close. I know that many on here have high expectations, but I was not expecting it from Vegas yet. I guess this is a sign of where they think Iowa is too.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
ISU hasn't been able to get more than 3 wins in a few years and Iowa is less that 24 months removed from nearly making the CFB Playoff.....blows my mind Vegas only sees them as a few points apart.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
ISU hasn't been able to get more than 3 wins in a few years and Iowa is less that 24 months removed from nearly making the CFB Playoff.....blows my mind Vegas only sees them as a few points apart.

I agree. Always tough to understand when you're a few months out though.

I think ISU will match up well if not better at the skill positions, but likely will give some back in the trenches.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

220px-MattCampbellISU2016.jpeg

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Who does ISU have returning this year on offense and defense? Thinking about this game, I can see ISU doing good things, but when Iowa is not talked about and pushed to the side, that is when they are at their best.

SO what are your returning starters looking like?

Best players?

Campbell impressed me when I heard him talk earlier this year. Seems like a guy that can turn it around in Ames, but SLOW down on the expectations. It usually takes until year 3 to see some momentum on the field.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
In this game, the only issue for Iowa is depth at WR and in the secondary.

OFFENSE

I know most people think Stanley and Wiegers are garbage on this site, but they are both former 4 * recruits and both have live arms. Iowa in the spring game was working on attacking down the field and working in a new offense. I would expect those 2 to do nothing but improve. If they can both be average with Wadley, Toks, and Toren Young at RB, then Iowa will have a very good year because of the depth on OL. That unit is super experienced. If ISU is young and inexperienced on the DL and LB units it could be a long day for them.

Iowa has some good WR recruits coming in. I am hoping 3 guys can be consistent and reliable. Vandeberg, Easley, and one of the new guys. Vandeberg coming back is huge if healthy. TE has a lot of young talent. Fant is going to be a good target to stretch the field down the seam, which only helps that talent in the backfield.

DEFENSE

Iowa returns almost all of their front 7, minus Jaleel Johnson. He was a big loss in more ways than one, BUT Epenesa, and Lattimore could be ex factors there. The LB crew is nasty and has A LOT of experience. Secondary has 1 guy returning. 1 guy that stole the show in the spring game. 3 other guys that saw a lot of playing time also. There has also been good recruiting at this spot. I can see it taking a few games to get gelled and that is to ISU advantage. But with the experience and talent in the front 7, That should make the secondary have a little bit of an easier time. I would expect to see more sacks for Iowa this year.

That is more black and gold run down for Iowa. How does ISU stack up to that?

• Informative

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Who does ISU have returning this year on offense and defense? Thinking about this game, I can see ISU doing good things, but when Iowa is not talked about and pushed to the side, that is when they are at their best.

SO what are your returning starters looking like?

Best players?

Campbell impressed me when I heard him talk earlier this year. Seems like a guy that can turn it around in Ames, but SLOW down on the expectations. It usually takes until year 3 to see some momentum on the field.

Here is the Reader's Digest version. Skill positions on offense should be good to very good. Lots of talent and decent depth. Defensive backfield should also be good to very good.
The question marks - as usual at ISU - are the trenches. Lots of new faces on the defensive front seven but they could turn out to be a pretty talented bunch. Campbell is trying to build a good offensive line but that takes time.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

OFFENSE

I know most people think Stanley and Wiegers are garbage on this site, but they are both former 4 * recruits and both have live arms. Iowa in the spring game was working on attacking down the field and working in a new offense. I would expect those 2 to do nothing but improve. If they can both be average with Wadley, Toks, and Toren Young at RB, then Iowa will have a very good year because of the depth on OL. That unit is super experienced. If ISU is young and inexperienced on the DL and LB units it could be a long day for them.

Iowa has some good WR recruits coming in. I am hoping 3 guys can be consistent and reliable. Vandeberg, Easley, and one of the new guys. Vandeberg coming back is huge if healthy. TE has a lot of young talent. Fant is going to be a good target to stretch the field down the seam, which only helps that talent in the backfield.

DEFENSE

Iowa returns almost all of their front 7, minus Jaleel Johnson. He was a big loss in more ways than one, BUT Epenesa, and Lattimore could be ex factors there. The LB crew is nasty and has A LOT of experience. Secondary has 1 guy returning. 1 guy that stole the show in the spring game. 3 other guys that saw a lot of playing time also. There has also been good recruiting at this spot. I can see it taking a few games to get gelled and that is to ISU advantage. But with the experience and talent in the front 7, That should make the secondary have a little bit of an easier time. I would expect to see more sacks for Iowa this year.

Stanley and Wiegers were both 3 star recruits

http://247sports.com/Player/Nathan-Stanley-75556?Institution=23036

http://247sports.com/Player/Tyler-Wiegers-20413?Institution=2739

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
The only thing we currently need to worry about is beating UNI badly and not getting run over at the line of scrimmage. Campbell needs a convincing, dominating win to start the year and the defensive line needs to show it can hold up.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

Let's pump the brakes a little on the QBs. Weigers only other P5 offer was Rutgers and he couldn't beat out a true freshman last year. Stanley could be serviceable but he will struggle as a true sophomore thrown in there with only one experienced wr and let's not forget, nobody castrates a QB like Kirk. History has shown the team with the better QB usually wins this game and I'll take Park. However iowa will have the advantage in the trenches like usual and if we can't get stops vs the run and defend play action, we'll lose.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

Here's a quick rundown. Offense by percentages for yards (except the OL), and Defense by starts and production.

Passing- 100% of production
Rushing-96% of production (could go down slightly depending on Nwangwu).
Receiving- 84% of production (biggest loss here was Daley, who should be replaced nicely by Matt Eaton).
Offensive Line- returns 35 career starts (mostly Campos and JGJ). For reference, there were 6 career starts for UNI game in 2016.

Defensive Line- returns a few players with good experience (Waggoner, Trent, Benton, Bailey) with Bailey having arguably the highest ceiling of any DL player on the team. Those four will be paired with a trio of highly sought after JUCO players and a few big bodies coming off of RS years. Has a chance to be the biggest/most talented DL that I can remember.

Linebacker- two of top 3 linebackers return (Harvey and Northrop) that combined for 128 tackles with Harvey being an HM All-Big 12 backer. Lanning has converted to LB, hard to say how that will turn out. Should also be a few young guys in the mix for playing time.

Secondary- returns 2 All Big-12 picks (KCM and Peavy) and a few other experienced players. I would expect Payne to play the opposite corner (44 tackles in 2016, 5.5 TFL), and Edwards (52 tackles, 2 INT in 2016), or Wilkerson (Georgia grad transfer) to take the other safety spot. Should be some young guys to compete for time as well.

• Informative
Reactions: NATEizKING

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I thought this game would have a close line. If I had to choose, I would take ISU bc it is at ISU and because ISU has an advantage through the air and the Iowa QB situation is still a mystery.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclone.TV