***Official USMNT Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
The U20s finished first in their group and advanced to the round of 16. They face New Zealand on Thursday morning, but will be missing some key players due to yellow card accumulation. Some of the cards handed out by the ref in the Saudi Arabia match were a joke.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Also, the senior team is getting back together for a friendly against Venezuela and then their next 2 WC qualifiers in June. The Venezuela friendly is Sat, June 3, the first qualifier against T&T is June 8, and then the trip to Azteca is just 3 days later on June 11.

Arena said that Mexico requested that the qualifier be played only 3 days after the first qualifying date since they have to leave for Russia and the Confederations Cup. The US federation agreed after getting the concession that the game will be played at night instead of in the heat of the afternoon.

The roster for the senior team is as follows:

U.S. MNT Roster By Position (Club; WCQ Caps/Goals):
GOALKEEPERS (4): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 13/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 0/0), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids; 35/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (11): DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo; 33/6), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City; 11/1), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin/GER; 3/0), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG; 20/2), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt/GER; 3/0), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca/MEX; 14/0), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas; 0/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 4/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 2/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 6/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City; 17/3)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 2/0), Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana/MEX; 2/1), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 8/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 33/6), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 15/1), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers; 5/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 7/3)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 36/16), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC; 38/18), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 3/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 8/4)

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Also, the senior team is getting back together for a friendly against Venezuela and then their next 2 WC qualifiers in June. The Venezuela friendly is Sat, June 3, the first qualifier against T&T is June 8, and then the trip to Azteca is just 3 days later on June 11.

Arena said that Mexico requested that the qualifier be played only 3 days after the first qualifying date since they have to leave for Russia and the Confederations Cup. The US federation agreed after getting the concession that the game will be played at night instead of in the heat of the afternoon.

GOALKEEPERS (4): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 13/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 0/0), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids; 35/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (11): DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo; 33/6), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City; 11/1), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin/GER; 3/0), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG; 20/2), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt/GER; 3/0), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca/MEX; 14/0), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas; 0/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 4/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 2/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 6/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City; 17/3)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 2/0), Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana/MEX; 2/1), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 8/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 33/6), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 15/1), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers; 5/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 7/3)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 36/16), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC; 38/18), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 3/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 8/4)

I knew the US blew a game last year (want to say against Jamaica?) that would have gotten them into the Confederations Cup, but are they completely out of it now?

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I knew the US blew a game last year (want to say against Jamaica?) that would have gotten them into the Confederations Cup, but are they completely out of it now?
Sort of. There is only one team per region in the confed cup. US won the gold cup in 2013, if they would have won in 2015 the would have gone, but lost to Jamaica. Mexico went on the win the gold cup to setup a one game playoff for the right to go to the confed cup. Mexico won.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames

Wow. DaMarcus Beasley is still plying his trade and getting call-ups! That's amazing. I remember when everyone thought he was done and his last World Cup was 2010. By 2011 or 2012 I want to say he wasn't getting any call-ups. Yet, here we are 5 years later and he's in his mid-to-late thirties and getting call-ups as an outfield player. Incredible.

I think his call-up is both demonstrative of him keeping himself in incredible shape and batting away the slow deterioration of time, but also a sign that we're not that the USMNT is still pretty weak in a few key outfield positions.

Hope the MNT can get 4 points out of these next two WCQs. If that happens, I think we'll all be quite happy.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Wow. DaMarcus Beasley is still plying his trade and getting call-ups! That's amazing. I remember when everyone thought he was done and his last World Cup was 2010. By 2011 or 2012 I want to say he wasn't getting any call-ups. Yet, here we are 5 years later and he's in his mid-to-late thirties and getting call-ups as an outfield player. Incredible.

I think his call-up is both demonstrative of him keeping himself in incredible shape and batting away the slow deterioration of time, but also a sign that we're not that the USMNT is still pretty weak in a few key outfield positions.

Hope the MNT can get 4 points out of these next two WCQs. If that happens, I think we'll all be quite happy.
Yeah, he's definitely a remarkable athlete to keep himself competitive at his age. But unfortunately for us, and much of the rest of the world too, there's a shortage of good left backs.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Don't forget USMNT v. Venezuela tonight in a warmup friendly before the qualifiers on FS1.

And then the teenagers play their U20 quarter-final match against Venezuela late tonight/early tomorrow morning on FS2.

• Informative
Reactions: ianoconnor and ISU2

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Bruce isn't messing around with the lineup tonight. The broadcast is listing this as a 4-4-2 diamond.

Wood-Dempsey
Pulisic
Nagbe. Fab J
Bradley
Villafaña-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin
Howard

That could be considered the US best 11 depending on how you view Altidore in the forward mix. Since it's a friendly I'm sure there will be 5 subs so it wouldn't shock me to see a bunch of guys get subbed out at halftime.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Bruce isn't messing around with the lineup tonight. The broadcast is listing this as a 4-4-2 diamond.

Wood-Dempsey
Pulisic
Nagbe. Fab J
Bradley
Howard

That could be considered the US best 11 depending on how you view Altidore in the forward mix. Since it's a friendly I'm sure there will be 5 subs so it wouldn't shock me to see a bunch of guys get subbed out at halftime.
Yeah, if I had to pick 11 to start this would probably be it.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

Wood-Dempsey
Pulisic
Nagbe. Fab J
Bradley
Howard

Altidore is our best forward IMO

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Altidore is our best forward IMO

It's an interesting argument between Jozy, Wood, and Dempsey. Jozy was late to this camp because he was attending his brothers wedding so I don't know that you can read too much into him not starting tonight.

Arena did say to expect a decent amount of squad rotation between the two qualifiers since they are only 3 days apart. Dempsey is not really at a point in his career where I think you can expect him to go hard in two matches that close together. So I'm sure Wood and Jozy will pair in one of the qualifiers. It will be interesting to see how Arena handles the rotation.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I'm not sure who caught that Gold Cup roster news at half, but the news that Jesse Gonzalez is open to joining the US Gold Cup squad is interesting. He's a young keeper at FC Dallas, came up in their academy I believe, who has represented Mexico at youth levels. The US needs some young blood coming through in net.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron