CAMPBELL: Complete uniform/image overhaul coming

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
all this talk of 'if this is what it takes to win, i dont care what our jerseys look like' is plain sad. if i were a big time recruit and a coach was trying to win me over by telling me theyd abandon school colors for me, i would question how a school could slap tradition in the face like that. sure it would be awesome to see iowa state win a national championship, but if they won in black uniforms or something ridiculous, i would chalk that up as a missed opportunity. CMC shouldnt have that kind of power, especially this early on. i cant imagine selling a kid on the pride of iowa state and the cardinal & gold, only to have him turn on the tv and see the indecipherably fugly dark grey bush league garbage we pulled last year. if thats the best you can do last-minute to change up our look, whatever. but if CMC is making a conscious decision in advance to move things in this AC/DC direction, thats unfortunate.

this is a really dumb post. First of all, nobody says that to win we need different jerseys. Thats dumb. Youre not a big time recruit and no coach would ever say hey sign with us and we will abandon school colors for you. THat wouldnt make any sense. So that is dumb. The fact that you think winning a national championship in an alt uniform (which wouldnt happen on multiple levels) would be cheapened then you are dumb. If you dont realize that CMC is not single handily out there designing uniforms you are really dumb.

you honestly sound like a middle school girl. stop posting so dramatically ffs. Youre constantly crying about clothing...think about that for a bit.
I can understand amestoplease frustration. Give him some time to assimilate what might be happening w/ uniforms, black, etc. He is a fan of ISU, as all of us are, and has spent a lot of his time working on some design ideas, ones that interest him, that he thinks might be good. Then, over the years, we have different uniforms (worse than ideas/concepts he comes up with). This has got to be very irritating.

I for one, have appreciated ames' ideas and work, and interest in ISU. He has passion and does good work. I think he deserves the right to post his opinion and not have it stomped on too harshly. In fact he is not 'constantly' on here posting his his thoughts. Actually when he does enter here, w/ some uniform ideas, it is rather infrequent of late, and timely, as it looks like we might see some real changes.

• Agree
Reactions: cyence

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I tend to like the traditional colors, but I'm old and boring. However, I find that I am really liking the all-white uniforms, especially with the Jack Trice inspired accents. And I'm surprised, but I actually like the all-black uniforms.

Kagavi is right about not introducing any other color to the black uniforms. Even the chin strap in his model is a distraction.

As for looking like Iowa, they don't own black. As long as it is all-black, it is fine. We have done all-gold before and I don't remember anyone saying anything about that have resemblance to Iowa. Yes, I know it is also one of our primary colors, but no one even made the point of similarity.

I prefer the all-black to the bits of grey/green, but all the players I've talked to say they really liked the grey/green in any combination.

Ultimately, it comes down to what the team wants. I hope the coaches listen to the fans, but don't feel obligated to a few powerful, out-of-touch voices (or even the masses). I want the coaches to do what they want to do. I think they will lead us in a good direction with regard to uniforms, both standard and alternative, as well as entrance music. The last thing I want is a uniform version of Thunderstruck. There is no way that this coaching staff actually wanted Thunderstruck. When this staff has done things their way, such as recruiting, it has gone very well. I want them to make uniform decisions in the same way they handle recruiting. I think they have the pulse of the emerging football generation.
Well stated.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Then we get rid of that uniform set. They're adding an alternate uniform set, not completely getting rid of cardinal and gold.

Oregon. TCU. Okie St. ASU. Stanford. Michigan St. Ohio St. Big and not quite as big programs everywhere do it. I'm sure that's because their kids hate it.

Once again, adding a black/gray uniform set/options to the uniform scheme does not mean cardinal and gold are not the school colors or black/gray are becoming a school color. Everyone insists that white become a trim color (I'm not talking road uniforms, mind you). White is not a school color.

I can't refute your basic argument about my observations. Only exceptions:
1. Oklahoma State has black in its school colors. Bad example.
2. White is a necessity for road jerseys, which you mentioned, but trimming in white is mainly a visual tie-in to that requirement. (trimming isn't required, it sometimes helps the full uniform).

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I can't refute your basic argument about my observations. Only exceptions:
1. Oklahoma State has black in its school colors. Bad example.
2. White is a necessity for road jerseys, which you mentioned, but trimming in white is mainly a visual tie-in to that requirement. (trimming isn't required, it sometimes helps the full uniform).

It's not a bad example when they also use the hell out of gray, which is NOT one of their school colors.

Oklahoma_State_Uniforms_2012-2013.png

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think you might have had something there CD! In before the talk of black.

I think a lot of these coaches, especially CMC, do nearly everything with a purpose. It's not like he's been going to almost all of these Tailgate Tour stops dressed in a black polo with a silver logo, and gray pants on accident, or like it's the only clean clothes he had in the closet that day.

I think he's been wearing black to a lot of spring practices, including possibly the Spring Game if I remember correctly. There's a method to all this madness IMO.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's not a bad example when they also use the hell out of gray, which is NOT one of their school colors.

Oklahoma_State_Uniforms_2012-2013.png

Good point, OSU does use a lot of gray. I tend to argue gray is "dark black" and also tends to work well with a black/gray combo. But maybe gray detracts from the orange, I suppose same as gray would "distract" from cardinal or gold for ISU.

Gray and black CAN work with most color schemes, they just have to be used well, and it works better (I think) with teams that have white as secondary (Duke, for example).

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think a lot of these coaches, especially CMC, do nearly everything with a purpose. It's not like he's been going to almost all of these Tailgate Tour stops dressed in a black polo with a silver logo, and gray pants on accident, or like it's the only clean clothes he had in the closet that day.

I think he's been wearing black to a lot of spring practices, including possibly the Spring Game if I remember correctly. There's a method to all this madness IMO.

FYI.... here's what CMC had on for the spring game. Black top with white or silver logo, and black hat with the cardinal and gold logo on it.

636272661434555390-170408-IowaStateSpringFB-bh-061.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: no2cyclones

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
FYI.... here's what CMC had on for the spring game. Black top with white or silver logo, and black hat with the cardinal and gold logo on it.

636272661434555390-170408-IowaStateSpringFB-bh-061.JPG

If that's a New Era hat, then I have that exact same hat. Goes perfectly with my black Nike I-State logo sweatshirt.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This is the most Kick ass uniform..Now that is real Cardinal and Gold. It's darker cardinal but far better than Bright red. And how anyone can like the McDonald's yellow is beyond me.. love the tornado on the helm

I like the design, but how are those not McDonald's uniforms? Looks like the same red/yellow to me.

• Agree
Reactions: ComCY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron