• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don't like or watch NASCAR, but how do you explain the appeal of other sports either? Some people just like some stuff and some people just don't like stuff.

I try to keep that in mind, for perspective, good point about "explaining the appeal."

I have my passions, but I don't want to turn into "people I've known" who think their tastes are superior.

Connecting to OP, I'm unable to grasp the appeal of auto-racing, either, but I can understand how it'd be exciting.

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
I enjoy watching NASCAR. Probably won't be much help but here are a couple reasons.

1. All tracks while ovals have different dimensions so strategies are different and suit certain drivers better than others. Once you become familiar with the tracks and different styles, it can become more interesting. I enjoy the short tracks like Martinsville or Bristol the best. Some like the mile and a half tracks better.

2. Most fans grow attached to a certain driver for one reason or another. Probably somewhat similar to golf from that standpoint. It can take awhile but once I did, I root for them just as hard as my favorite teams in other sports.

3. I'm honestly not a huge car guy, but the competition side of it is cool. The wrecks too. Stage racing has helped that by eliminating the super long runs where nothing happens. Makes a long race easier to watch.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Watching loud things go fast is fun. Been to many Indy 500s and Brickyards and like the sport. Was a big fan of open wheel racing (used to be Indycar) and followed a few drivers but never did with Nascar.

If you like speed these cars go fast. If you like loud these cars are loud. If you like machines these engines are special. If you don't like it there is something on Lifetime Network about a uterus or something that was molested that doesn't take fuel.

• Dislike
Reactions: Aaron Jacobs

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
The last 10 laps or so can be really interesting on some tracks but the rest of it is meh

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
My family stayed at a hotel once where we were the only ones there not decked out in NASCAR clothes. In the morning, I was talking to a guy, and I said, "No offense. I just have never seen the appeal of NASCAR. " He asked, "Do you like golf?" I said yeah. He said, "No offense, but I have never seen the appeal of golf." Touche. To each his own.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Honest question: what is the appeal of NASCAR? Pretend you are explaining it to someone who has never seen stock car racing. What would you tell them the appeal is for them, not for you.

My guess is if you like cars, being outside, the sound of engines, etc... you probably like racing. Its a thing, like owning a dog. Which dog you own makes you feel a certain way.. The beer you choose to drink makes you feel a certain way. Im guessing racing, makes those that like it, feel a certain way. Its a subculture.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
My family stayed at a hotel once where we were the only ones there not decked out in NASCAR clothes. In the morning, I was talking to a guy, and I said, "No offense. I just have never seen the appeal of NASCAR. " He asked, "Do you like golf?" I said yeah. He said, "No offense, but I have never seen the appeal of golf." Touche. To each his own.

I don't understand the appeal of either.

...but at least neither sport is soccer

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'll give it a try.

I like the passing, especially drafting to pass and teaming up to make a draft line that is faster than any single car in the race. But the best passes are the ones where the cars make contact. The thought of bumping while going 180 mph is just amazing. Or getting behind someone to take the air off their spoiler so they get less down-force so that you can swing out and pass. Or even better, bumping them from behind so that they get loose so that you can shoot past them.

The bumping is what makes NASCAR better than Indy car. If Indy cars bump, they wreck.

In person, it is just the loudness and the thrill of having cars go by at 200 mph just never gets old.

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
In earlier years I think the appeal was the fact that all the major car companies raced cars we saw on the roads. You had Chevy's, Fords, Dodges, Plymouth's, Pontiac's and Buick's. People watched to see if their brand one. Also there were drivers that people liked so that was a reason. Today the cars are all he same with just a few body changes so you root (if you choose) for an engine brand. Over the years I have attended NASCAR (Texas 500), Indy cars races (The Indianapolis 500) and Des Grand Prix and National drag races. Today I watch very little racing on TV and have not attended a race in 6 years.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm not an auto racing fan per se, but I have gone to a few races at Iowa Speedway. If you like fast and loud, its fun in person. Plus the tailgating is always a bonus. But, I won't ever sit down and watch a race on TV start to finish, minus the Indy 500. Love watching cars drive inches away from each other at 230 mph. Scott Dixon went airborne today in a wreck and destroyed his car on the wall and fence and walked away without a bruise.

I used to follow F1 racing closely mainly because of their speed and engine sound. However, over the last few years I have lost interest because of the engine mods and addition of turbos. F1 cars now sound like an electric lawnmower buzzing around the track. If they ever went back to the V10, normally aspirated engines I would tune in again. That high pitched scream of 20,000 RPM is insane. The technology and engineering in those cars ranks up there with space shuttles. There's a reason they cost hundreds of millions of dollars.
The grid start in F1 is also one of a kind. The race to that first turn is exciting, but the rest of the race is mainly single file.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
First - to each their own. Yesterday, I watched F1, Indy, and NASCAR (on DVR) I don't get watching golf unless it is something big at the end. I don't watch figure skating. I watch more college softball than college baseball. In a nutshell, I enjoy NASCAR and watch when I can to see what happens.

To me:
1. There are personalities to you get to watch interact
2. I have been to the Indy race in Newton a few times - seeing the actual speed and how quickly drivers can maneuver their cars is really fascinating/incredible.
3. Seeing some of the strategies play out between teams: will not taking tires slow them down? Can they get to the end of the race without more fuel?
4. Watching the drivers work around other drivers: Blocking, what line to take, using other cars as picks, etc.
5. It is competition - I am interested to see who can get better and who will crack under pressure.

Yesterday's F1 race was actually kind of boring. All the interesting stuff was centered around pit strategy. I watched just to see if anything was going to happen at the end.

The Indy race was fairly interesting. A nice mix of strategy, lead changes, pit stops, and teams improving their cars. At the end, I was intrigued if Helio could get his 4th Indy win. He was set up to get it, but failed on his last passing attempt. The idea that he waited until the last moment to try and then didn't have enough time to get another chance was worth talking about with my son.

The 600 was interesting; I like what NASCAR has done with the stages. They break up what could be a monotonous race. I am not a big fan of crashes except that they reset the field and offer another restart. The race last night had a dominant car up front - just screaming around the track - with others behind positioning themselves and racing each other. At the end, 2 cars tried to sneak in a win by driving slightly slower and trying to skip a pit stop. Jimmie Johnson failed (whew) while Austin Dillon pulled it off. The last 20 laps, the second place car sent from 15 seconds behind to 2 seconds with 4 laps left - I watched to see what would happen. Thought it might be a last lap pass, but Martin Truex Jr. used up his tires/had a slightly more loose setup, and couldn't get to the winner (actually finished in 3rd when Busch passed him at the end).

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I don't watch it anymore, but used to watch frequently in the late 90s - early 2000s. My dad watched it, so I would sit with him while it was on tv. Why don't I watch it anymore? I just moved on - nothing more, nothing less. I might tune in to see a wreck I hear about on Twitter or on another channel's scroll. But it's been years since I intentionally sat down to watch a race.

In the 90s, my favorite sport to watch was college football - could watch almost any game on tv. In the 00s, my top sport to watch became college basketball. Still watched football, but not nearly as often. By the 10s, my favorite sport became baseball and it still is today. But I can watch (some) golf, tennis, and hockey as well.

I get why some don't like baseball, but I feel like these people maybe have discounted lifetime memberships to Short Attention Span Theater. But then I feel the same way about soccer that many do about baseball: to me, it's painfully boring and nothing ever happens. I don't hate it, but I just don't care.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Watched some of the F1 race yesterday. 73 lap road course with very little passing. That was god awful to watch.

To really get an understanding of Nascar, you need to see how the drivers get started. Go to a local dirt track to get the true meaning. Camp at the track with others. I've actually had more fun going to Supernationals in Boone over the years. You get all kinds of racing. 8 hours of racing a night 64 heat races, A mains, B-mains, last chance races etc. For 6 straight days! Plus you get modified version (A&B), stock cars, hobby stocks, late models, sprints, front wheel drive. It is like a sociology class lesson, just see all the different types of people that go to events like this.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I gave Nascar a shot about 10 years and just don't get it.

The most I'd watch now is just the final few laps of Daytona and that's if I'm home and flipping channels.

95CLONE

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2014
NC Iowa
I know when I watch a NASCAR race i will never have to watch a driver take a knee during the national anthem.

Reactions: SpokaneCY