SATURDAY PODCAST: Football uniforms, top 5 uniforms ever

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
As a fan I don't mind gray as a fan. What I don't like about last fall's gray is the nubby texture appearance of the jerseys. The weave looks heavy, like a gray sweatshirt turned inside out. A silky smooth gray rather than the dark nubby appearance would look better . . . imo, of course.

And now, for something completely different: consider black jersey with gray helmet and gray pants? Just a thought, and maybe a bad thought at that. Not sure. . . . Heck, we are talking about only one game for some of these combos, right?

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Add some white accents on the jersey, tornado on the helmet and it's the ISU uni GOAT.

Those would look quite sweet. I was surprised I liked the white-cardinal-white as much as I do. I could do the I-State or tornado, either one, on the helmet, and good idea with the white jersey accent, to blend w/ helmet & pants (having no white in jersey is possibly the only thing that didn't fully merge with the combo used last year).

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
These are the best uni's I've seen us wear....I wasn't around for the Ronald McDonald, ketchup and mustard, or the weird blue phase, but pictures of those are awful.

Well I think most us can agree the blue was a bad idea. I hated that from day one.

If you go back and do your research, you'll see that Iowa State has historically used ketchup & mustard far more than the god awful "true" gold some of you punks are so obsessed with. Watch & learn, junior:

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Well I think most us can agree the blue was a bad idea. I hated that from day one.

If you go back and do your research, you'll see that Iowa State has historically used ketchup & mustard far more than the god awful "true" gold some of you punks are so obsessed with. Watch & learn, junior:

Cool summary.

Of course, black-and-gray/silver fans will use this as fodder for why those should be incorporated into alternates (And if it does happen, at least it has some historic connection, making it slightly less unpalatable to me).

Interesting (and not surprising) that some colors were difficult to match in apparel back then, so there were limits to what you could choose.

Question, then: When ISU went to the sparkly gold, was that a reconnection with those original school colors? (Since that's the only real "break" with the original yellow-gold tradition).

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Our away jerseys in all of their variations are super sharp. That tells me that the biggest issue when it comes to color is the cardinal/red and gold/yellow is just not a good combo. More white accents, more cardinal/red, limit gold/yellow. After that, it's just a matter of getting 2017 designs and not the 2011 hand-me-downs we always get from Nike.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
I just hope that if we keep the double stripes on the shoulders we go back 4 years to them ending on the seam even with the neck line and not going into the armpit. VT still has these while LSU and Ole Miss are like ours.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I just hope that if we keep the double stripes on the shoulders we go back 4 years to them ending on the seam even with the neck line and not going into the armpit. VT still has these while LSU and Ole Miss are like ours.

Wow. Very minute detail. I, for one, love the shoulder stripes because I think it's a classic look that differentiates from the rest of the Big 12 & EIU. I know they have their haters tho that want to work in the Trice stripes instead.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
As a fan I don't mind gray as a fan. What I don't like about last fall's gray is the nubby texture appearance of the jerseys. The weave looks heavy, like a gray sweatshirt turned inside out. A silky smooth gray rather than the dark nubby appearance would look better . . . imo, of course.

And now, for something completely different: consider black jersey with gray helmet and gray pants? Just a thought, and maybe a bad thought at that. Not sure. . . . Heck, we are talking about only one game for some of these combos, right?

Couple of Oregon gray/black combos for reference:

15d87f261fbe5943209638495b09908f.jpg

Oregon-Ducks-new-championship-uniform-3.jpg

With a red accent in place of green, these could be sharp. Would love to see someone (cough* @amestoplease *cough) play with something like this in Photoshop.

• Informative
Reactions: CyValley

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Completely agree on the shoulder stripes. They should end at the seam.

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
How can you not at least like the colors in these?

usatsi_7434573.jpg
those are awesome, and I love the numbers are white, looks so much better than the bright yellow numbers that contrast with the dark red we have on a base uniforms. The cardinal shade in these is spot on too.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: surly

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Uniforms are all in the eye of the beholder, as shown in this thread. I prefer traditional looks like K-State, OU and Texas. I loathe schools like Ku and Tech, running out there and I'm not sure who it is that's playing that day.

Much of this has to do with age, methinks. I remember the Dirty Thirty uniforms as an example of simple traditionals that represented ISU at its height. Gold pots, white numbers on cardinal jerseys, and gold pants. The Trice throwbacks look cool as well.

HOQKZZXEGGXBKFW.20110524132823.jpg

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
The
Uniforms are all in the eye of the beholder, as shown in this thread. I prefer traditional looks like K-State, OU and Texas. I loathe schools like Ku and Tech, running out there and I'm not sure who it is that's playing that day.

Much of this has to do with age, methinks. I remember the Dirty Thirty uniforms as an example of simple traditionals that represented ISU at its height. Gold pots, white numbers on cardinal jerseys, and gold pants. The Trice throwbacks look cool as well.

HOQKZZXEGGXBKFW.20110524132823.jpg

The little box in the corner is helpful

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I must be the only one who thinks the Jack Trice throwbacks were not very good looking.

I love that they tried to do something to honor JT, but didn't like the product.

You are the only one..thought those UNI especially the colors where some of best I've seen.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron