RECRUITING: Josh Knipfel commits

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
First off its a complete change in mentality and culture..all those who simply didnt want to better themselves and put in the work are now gone. A lot of the upperclassmen who are with the team last year and this said themselves that the off season training was far more intensive..and these are kids who CPR recruited and they had a relationship with. Previous regime was all gimmick..if u cant see how last year OL was then ok..We had walk ons by mid year mauling people at times. I would give anytning to have B Seda back for another year. There were times where he flat out just destroyed his man. Previous regime had zero clue on the OL. It was also announced how many kids could bench 400Lb when they got here compared to now.

A friend of mine seen one of the Oline guys at a grad party last year and he said this staff is tons better at simplifying things and making things understandable. He said that this guy told him that he loved Rhoads but it was very confusing to on how they tought things.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
How so, please explain. Honestly every time we make a change in staff, it seems we hear the same claim, "workouts are much tougher, we've really changed the S&C program, etc."

I agree. I do hope we have really changed the mentality finally, but I'll believe it when we start winning 6 or more games a year. We have heard this same story not only with every new head coach, but also with every new coordinator we hired too. Everyone was absolutely gushing over bringing Mangino in here, and he was terrible.

What I did enjoy seeing after the UNI and Iowa games last year was that we competed in every game and never quit. That was really nice to see for once. We didn't have any of those 70-7 losses like we had one or two of every year under Rhoads it seemed where our guys obviously at some point quit in those games. Last year, outside of the Iowa debacle, we were in every game. That is certainly promising IMO.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
All I know is what I saw and that is this staff took a walk on who had never seen a college football field and turned him into a serviceable lineman in the big 12 and at times a complete mauler..

Let's see what they do with more talented lineman who now have some experience

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
A friend of mine seen one of the Oline guys at a grad party last year and he said this staff is tons better at simplifying things and making things understandable. He said that this guy told him that he loved Rhoads but it was very confusing to on how they tought things.

This rings true, I think, when one considers the great advancement the OLine made from beginning to end in 2016.

I don't think, in the decades that I've attended iSu games, that I've seen such a poorly executing unit as the one that played against UNI. The penalties - oh, boy! But, think of the improvement! From that game until the season finale, what an upgrade.

In fact, didn't 2016 turn out to be the most productive iSu offense since the inception of the Big 12? Yeah, this staff can teach. Which reminds me of an old bromide that I have thought cruel: "He who can, does; he who cannot, teaches" - George Bernard Shaw.

Well, by George, this staff turns Shaw on his ear: They do by teaching!

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
The "killer instinct" is nice to say and I understand it, but what happens when the other team has it also. The physical and mental difference from team to team is slim when you are talking about the talented, well coached college teams. You may jump out in front by 2 or 3 scores against another good team but they fight right back and now you have to bow your neck and fight through their assault, just like they did against yours. The end result will depend on plays made, probably one on one where a matter of inches determine the outcome. Therefore, I say in the future, there may only be 2-4 games where we can just stomp on someone most of the day. I also think there will be 1-2 games where they just have our ticket and the day seems long. The other 4-7 games are the ones where every little thing decides the outcome.
I won't disagree with too much there, however Iowa State historically hasn't had many of the 2-4 games where we're stomping someone all day, much less in the same season. Going from stomping someone all day 0-1 times to 2-4 times would be an incredible improvement. Also, having a good team come back and being able to respond would be a significant change as well.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
We certainly didn't let up on Texas Tech last year. That was a welcome change from the Rhoads era. We stomped their dicks in the dirt and didn't stop.

It was awesome to see.
We did beat a ranked Texas Tech team 41-7 on the road, with Paul Rhoads as the coach. Why the constant need to bash Rhoads? Can't we just b excited about Campbell?

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
We did beat a ranked Texas Tech team 41-7 on the road, with Paul Rhoads as the coach. Why the constant need to bash Rhoads? Can't we just b excited about Campbell?

Paul was the right guy at the right time considering the way Cheeze-it left us high & dry. Unfortunately Paul was winning with Chiz's players. Once they were gone, the dropoff was obvious.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
How a grown adult can still use "seen" this way blows my mind.
giphy.gif

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
How so, please explain. Honestly every time we make a change in staff, it seems we hear the same claim, "workouts are much tougher, we've really changed the S&C program, etc."
This is so true. With the amount of coaching changes we have had in the last ten years i expect our players to be a bunch of Winter Soldiers.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I do think Campbell takes it personally losing to UNI like we did. Same goes for the Iowa game. I look for us to try and hit both of them in the mouth right out of the tunnel.
He should take it personally because if he keeps losing to them like that he'll take it financially as well.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Paul was the right guy at the right time considering the way Cheeze-it left us high & dry. Unfortunately Paul was winning with Chiz's players. Once they were gone, the dropoff was obvious.
Not to defend Chizik, but isn't it a contradiction to say Chizik left ISU "high and dry", but Rhoads came in and won with his players?

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Can't build up the new staff unless you tear down the previous staff. Gives a smaller hurdle for the new staff to overcome. Then small successes will look like big ones.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron