MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
We should probably work on keeping Kershaw's pitch count down right now. Is rather face Kershaw today than the Dodgers pen.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
We were facing the 29th best team ERA and scored 2 runs. Brewers were facing the 30th best and scored 2 runs...

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
He hasn't even had a full seasons worth of games in the majors. Good lord, some of you need to get a grip.

the weird thing is outside of that two week stretch when he was first called up in 2015, he's consistently sucked (over limited parts of three different seasons) yet he turns into Babe Ruth in the postseason.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
the weird thing is outside of that two week stretch when he was first called up in 2015, he's consistently sucked (over limited parts of three different seasons) yet he turns into Babe Ruth in the postseason.

I really do think Schwarber would benefit greatly from a stint in Des Moines. Its amazing how bad he is right now, yet Joe still hits him high in the order. Yes CyJack, I know he is going to struggle no matter where you put him, but its fact that the higher you hit in a lineup, the more AB's you're going to get over the long run, and right now he doesn't deserve those AB's. There is no reason that Schwarber should have the 3rd most AB's on this team.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I really do think Schwarber would benefit greatly from a stint in Des Moines. Its amazing how bad he is right now, yet Joe still hits him high in the order. Yes CyJack, I know he is going to struggle no matter where you put him, but its fact that the higher you hit in a lineup, the more AB's you're going to get over the long run, and right now he doesn't deserve those AB's. There is no reason that Schwarber should have the 3rd most AB's on this team.

No argument there. And I have no issue with dropping him down in the order, it's not happening for him right now, I just have a problem with people who act like his struggles are entirely related to him hitting lead off. The problem for the Cubs is right now they have a bunch of guys who should be 7th or 8th hitters, Almora, Schwarber, Russell, Happ now that pitchers have made their initial adjustment to him, Heyward, and even Baez is a guy who I like best low in the lineup where he can be a boom or bust guy without any middle of the order pressure. Outside of Zobrist, Bryant and Rizzo, it's hard to point to anyone who deserves more at bats on this team right now.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
No argument there. And I have no issue with dropping him down in the order, it's not happening for him right now, I just have a problem with people who act like his struggles are entirely related to him hitting lead off. The problem for the Cubs is right now they have a bunch of guys who should be 7th or 8th hitters, Almora, Schwarber, Russell, Happ now that pitchers have made their initial adjustment to him, Heyward, and even Baez is a guy who I like best low in the lineup where he can be a boom or bust guy without any middle of the order pressure. Outside of Zobrist, Bryant and Rizzo, it's hard to point to anyone who deserves more at bats on this team right now.

If I was Maddon, I think my ideal lineup at this point would be:

1. Jay/Almora (CF)
2. Zobrist (LF)
3. Bryant (3rd)
4. Rizzo (1st)
5. Baez/Happ (2nd)
6. Heyward (RF)
7. Contreras/Montero (C)
8. Russell (SS)

Schwarber just doesn't fit into much right now. He is hitting well below average, and striking out at an incredible rate. However, when he gets a hold of the ball lookout, and he takes a lot of walks. I do wonder if the mentality of being a leadoff hitter instead of a power hitter has messed with his psyche a little bit (i.e. take a lot of pitches, work counts, be patient). Not to mention hes attempted zero stolen bases. Send the guy down right now, let him get back to be what he is, and bring him back when hes ready to be a cleanup/middle of the order type hitter.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
If I was Maddon, I think my ideal lineup at this point would be:

1. Jay/Almora (CF)
2. Zobrist (LF)
3. Bryant (3rd)
4. Rizzo (1st)
5. Baez/Happ (2nd)
6. Heyward (RF)
7. Contreras/Montero (C)
8. Russell (SS)

Schwarber just doesn't fit into much right now. He is hitting well below average, and striking out at an incredible rate. However, when he gets a hold of the ball lookout, and he takes a lot of walks. I do wonder if the mentality of being a leadoff hitter instead of a power hitter has messed with his psyche a little bit (i.e. take a lot of pitches, work counts, be patient). Not to mention hes attempted zero stolen bases. Send the guy down right now, let him get back to be what he is, and bring him back when hes ready to be a cleanup/middle of the order type hitter.

His P/PA are right in line with his career total and lower than what they were in the World Series last year.

Help Support Us

Become a patron