MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm not as worried about the offensive woes as I am the starting pitching right now. This team is loaded with talented young players that are going to have ups and downs from time to time and when the wind is blowing out at Wrigley this summer they will put ups some big numbers for some stretches. The starting rotation consists of 3 veterans in their 30's, a 27 year old entering his prime years in Hendricks, and a 26 year old reclamation project in Butler. I don't know what else Montgomery needs to do to get a shot at the rotation right now. He's been very good in several long relief outings so far and was good last season as the occasional 6th starter. If Lackey keeps getting lit up early or Butler fizzles out Montgomery is better than anything else currently in the system and Lackey or Butler could become the long relief man in the pen. I think Lackey is at that time in his career that a move to the pen may be the best thing to extend his career at age 38 as he can just let it all out in a shorter outing knowing he doesn't need to save something for the 5th or 6th like he does now. Somehow he has been able to go at least 5 or more innings every start so far but he's been getting hit the hardest in the first 2 innings of his outings so I don't know how that would translate coming out of the pen but he's a competitor and his emotion on the mound reminds me a little of Kerry Wood who made a successful transition to the pen.

I think it's becoming obvious that if this team wants to defend it's title making a trade or 2 for starting pitching is a must and it's probably going to cost them someone like Happ or Baez to get it done. As long as it is a solid pitcher with 2+ years of team control that is the price they will have to pay but at least it is from a position of depth in the system. Calendario might be able to get them a rental player, wish he would have hit better in his limited big league stints to raise his value but he's just 23 so still a lot of potential there to have some trade value. The bullpen as much as it has been used lately has been much better than it was to start the season, if only the starting pitching could give them some more quality starts and hand them a lead in the 7th or 8th more often I am much more confident in the bullpen right now than I am with the starting roation.

Reactions: cycloneworld

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I'm not as worried about the offensive woes as I am the starting pitching right now. This team is loaded with talented young players that are going to have ups and downs from time to time and when the wind is blowing out at Wrigley this summer they will put ups some big numbers for some stretches. The starting rotation consists of 3 veterans in their 30's, a 27 year old entering his prime years in Hendricks, and a 26 year old reclamation project in Butler. I don't know what else Montgomery needs to do to get a shot at the rotation right now. He's been very good in several long relief outings so far and was good last season as the occasional 6th starter. If Lackey keeps getting lit up early or Butler fizzles out Montgomery is better than anything else currently in the system and Lackey or Butler could become the long relief man in the pen. I think Lackey is at that time in his career that a move to the pen may be the best thing to extend his career at age 38 as he can just let it all out in a shorter outing knowing he doesn't need to save something for the 5th or 6th like he does now. Somehow he has been able to go at least 5 or more innings every start so far but he's been getting hit the hardest in the first 2 innings of his outings so I don't know how that would translate coming out of the pen but he's a competitor and his emotion on the mound reminds me a little of Kerry Wood who made a successful transition to the pen.

I think it's becoming obvious that if this team wants to defend it's title making a trade or 2 for starting pitching is a must and it's probably going to cost them someone like Happ or Baez to get it done. As long as it is a solid pitcher with 2+ years of team control that is the price they will have to pay but at least it is from a position of depth in the system. Calendario might be able to get them a rental player, wish he would have hit better in his limited big league stints to raise his value but he's just 23 so still a lot of potential there to have some trade value. The bullpen as much as it has been used lately has been much better than it was to start the season, if only the starting pitching could give them some more quality starts and hand them a lead in the 7th or 8th more often I am much more confident in the bullpen right now than I am with the starting roation.

Montgomery needs to be more efficient to get a shot at a starting spot. He throws a ton of pitches, he's going to be a guy who struggles to get through five innings under 90 pitches most games. So if he moves to the rotation, you won't be getting deep starts out of him and now you've removed the only real swingman type guy from the pen.

Butler has shown enough to get a few more starts, might as well see what you have with him as he could be a possible long term option there. The top of the rotatation is shaping up just fine as Lester and Hendricks have both been very good this month. The rental market for starting pitching is going to be a buyers market this year, I'd rather go that route and not give up a Baez/Happ/Russell type. The Cubs are going to win the NL Central this year, they have too much talent not to, and really all that matters is that they are clicking come playoff time.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Thank god Theo is calling the shots and not the people who thi
Guys it's just getting obvious this isn't 2016.
3RQYJKn.gif

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Watching the Dodgers broadcast on MLB Network. Someone might want to check the announcers pants, as they definitely think Kershaw is a God.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Cubs are actually doing very well against Kershaw. It's just the Dodgers are doing better against Lester

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron