McGregor - Mayweather

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Btw the Floyd didn't fight anyone in there prime is such a myth. He didn't fight Oscar or PAC in there prime. He fought Mosley, Canello, and a lot of other fighters in there Prime. I'm not a Floyd fan but it's such a myth.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
In a ring Floyd kills connor. In an octagon connor kills floyd. What would make this fight very interesting is a traditional boxing match in a ring but with ufc gloves. I'd love to see how floyd would react to being hit with basically bare hands. All it would take is 1 left from connor. That being said it will never happen, floyds camp isn't stupid.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
He isn't knocking him out.
giphy.gif

And yes, I am willing to bet you money on it when the fight approaches.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Btw the Floyd didn't fight anyone in there prime is such a myth. He didn't fight Oscar or PAC in there prime. He fought Mosley, Canello, and a lot of other fighters in there Prime. I'm not a Floyd fan but it's such a myth.

He did not fight Sugar Shane in his prime. Mosley was 38 when they fought. Try again.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
To be fair, Sugar Shane Mosley is always in his prime. One of the greatest nicknames of all time.

Great nickname for sure. But he was a speed fighter. Speed is the first thing to go. That's why Floyd wouldn't fight guys like Mosley or Pac, who had power as well as just as much speed as Floyd, had when they were in their prime. Wait 5 years, they'll be 1 step slower, sign the contract. Obvious is obvious.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Diego Corrales, Hatton?

What about them? Neither of them had the speed to worry Floyd. Guys like Pac and Mosley had just as much speed and better power than Floyd, which is why he ducked fighting them when they were in their prime. I'd be willing to bet that when Floyd saw Hatton shoveled out of the ring after one of the more devastating one-punch KOs from Pac, he decided then and there that he wasn't going to step in with Manny any time soon. Which is why he ducked him for 5 years.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Cannelo alvarez. There I tried again. Even though I already tried that name

Yeah Alvarez posed no threat to Floyd. Big power guys that come right at him are exactly who Floyd wants to fight. He's much faster, he's the second best defensive fighter of all time in my opinion (I still think Bernard Hopkins had the best defense), and he can counter all night against a much slower guy.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The idea that people think this will even be a competitive boxing match shows how far boxing has fallen in many ways and how MMA will never have any credibility.

The sad part is the best fight out there coming up is one many folks aren't talking about Canelo vs. GGG

I get why 100% because both sports are having a hard time sustaining stars

If MMA doesn't have credibility what is boxing's recent history? In what way does it not have credibility?

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
What about them? Neither of them had the speed to worry Floyd. Guys like Pac and Mosley had just as much speed and better power than Floyd, which is why he ducked fighting them when they were in their prime. I'd be willing to bet that when Floyd saw Hatton shoveled out of the ring after one of the more devastating one-punch KOs from Pac, he decided then and there that he wasn't going to step in with Manny any time soon. Which is why he ducked him for 5 years.
What is your unrealistic requirement, then? Look at the list of opponents for Floyd. Most of them were in their prime (Alvarez, Corrales, Hatton, Maidana, etc) or were champions when he faced them (Cotto, DE la Hoya, Baldomir, Castillo, etc). I don't like the guy, but can admit he fought and beat the best. It's pretty dumb to say that he dodged guys and fought them after their prime as if he himself did not also age. As a matter of fact, he's actually fought less than any of his opponents recently so he should be at a disadvantage when it comes to ring rust.

And you're wrong about him being all about speed. What makes him such a tough fighter is that he is one of the few boxers who makes in-fight adjustments. Most fighters come in with a pre-determined plan they trained on for months before the fight and that is all they'll do all fight, working or not. Mayweather studies his opponents the first 4-5 rounds and then adjusts his strategy the rest of the way. He's in cruise control after that since he's figured out opponent's tendencies and figured out safe distances, defense, and angles. If a fighter does not hurt him or take him out in the first half of the fight, it's over after that.

Reactions: Knownothing

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
What is your unrealistic requirement, then? Look at the list of opponents for Floyd. Most of them were in their prime (Alvarez, Corrales, Hatton, Maidana, etc) or were champions when he faced them (Cotto, DE la Hoya, Baldomir, Castillo, etc). I don't like the guy, but can admit he fought and beat the best. It's pretty dumb to say that he dodged guys and fought them after their prime as if he himself did not also age. As a matter of fact, he's actually fought less than any of his opponents recently so he should be at a disadvantage when it comes to ring rust.

And you're wrong about him being all about speed. What makes him such a tough fighter is that he is one of the few boxers who makes in-fight adjustments. Most fighters come in with a pre-determined plan they trained on for months before the fight and that is all they'll do all fight, working or not. Mayweather studies his opponents the first 4-5 rounds and then adjusts his strategy the rest of the way. He's in cruise control after that since he's figured out opponent's tendencies and figured out safe distances, defense, and angles. If a fighter does not hurt him or take him out in the first half of the fight, it's over after that.

He fought guys in their prime who had no chance of beating him. Floyd was a great fighter for sure. But he fought guys like Mosley, De La Hoya, and Pac when they were past their prime and it wasn't a coincidence. They were real threats and he knew it. The way he ran from Pac for years with bogus claims of steroids was embarrassing and transparent.

And your thing about him being one of the few fighters who make in-fight adjustments is pretty dumb. That's what all of the best fighters do. To say that a majority of guys at such an elite level aren't capable of adjusting to what's happening in front of them is just kind of stupid.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
He fought guys in their prime who had no chance of beating him. Floyd was a great fighter for sure. But he fought guys like Mosley, De La Hoya, and Pac when they were past their prime and it wasn't a coincidence. They were real threats and he knew it. The way he ran from Pac for years with bogus claims of steroids was embarrassing and transparent.

And your thing about him being one of the few fighters who make in-fight adjustments is pretty dumb. That's what all of the best fighters do. To say that a majority of guys at such an elite level aren't capable of adjusting to what's happening in front of them is just kind of stupid.
Again, those guys were older but so was he as well. It's not like he just magicaly gets better with age while everyone else deteriorates. I'm not saying he is the only one that makes adjustments, but he is the best. Sugar Ray Leonard, Muhammad Ali, and Marvin Hagler were great at it. Roberto Duran, Tommy Hearns, and George Foreman? Not as much.

Great fighters can also be one dimensional. How many times do you see a world class fighter doing things that are not working? Their corner keeps telling them what they need to do between rounds, but it is very hard for a fighter to change the game plan that they trained on for months.

Manny Pacquiao has always been a great fighter but if you remember him in his early days he was very undisciplined and always threw wide punches. Freddy Roach helped him break that habit, but when in trouble or frustrated he always reverted to that style. That's what got him in trouble against Marquez and what made it impossible for him to touch Mayweather in the later rounds. I remember the first time I watched him against Kennedy McKinney and I thought: "man, that guy is wild in the ring". His power and speed was just too much for some fighters to overcome.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Again, those guys were older but so was he as well. It's not like he just magicaly gets better with age while everyone else deteriorates. I'm not saying he is the only one that makes adjustments, but he is the best. Sugar Ray Leonard, Muhammad Ali, and Marvin Hagler were great at it. Roberto Duran, Tommy Hearns, and George Foreman? Not as much.

Great fighters can also be one dimensional. How many times do you see a world class fighter doing things that are not working? Their corner keeps telling them what they need to do between rounds, but it is very hard for a fighter to change the game plan that they trained on for months.

Manny Pacquiao has always been a great fighter but if you remember him in his early days he was very undisciplined and always threw wide punches. Freddy Roach helped him break that habit, but when in trouble or frustrated he always reverted to that style. That's what got him in trouble against Marquez and what made it impossible for him to touch Mayweather in the later rounds. I remember the first time I watched him against Kennedy McKinney and I thought: "man, that guy is wild in the ring". His power and speed was just too much for some fighters to overcome.

He was better than most because of speed, defense, and counterpunching.

Reactions: Knownothing

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron