Centurylink Internet: Just say NO

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I think it's more an issue with zero competition because in my experience mediacom is no better with customer service.

Agreed. I have been charged for modems that were returned with both companies. I physically handed Mediacom theirs at one of their locations and sent the CenturyLink box back with the label they sent me. I keep switching back and forth every time I move (which is frequently) thinking one will have gotten better but nope. I moved yesterday, tried to set up my DSL box but was having issues. They wen't through the usual make sure your cords are plugged in right and what lights are on BS then put me on hold twice. The second time I was put on hold for 25 minutes and was hung up on with no call back.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think it's more an issue with zero competition because in my experience mediacom is no better with customer service.

Mediacom's service has actually gotten better. Used to be if your internet was down and they needed to come out it would be minimum of 4-6 days. Lately it's been within a few days or even next day. BIG problem with Mediacom is how horribly unreliable their internet is. Goes down way, way too frequently. Absolutely sucks that there's no other non-DSL options. MCG in Oskaloosa apparently has great service but they no longer serve all of Warren County.

Reactions: wheels686

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I saw this thread title and couldn't even believe it. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, mine has just been the opposite with CenturyLink. Out of cable and internet companies, I've had Windstream (8), Dish Network (7), Mediacom (1), DirectTv (5), and CenturyLink (10). The numbers I assigned are my experiences from 1-10 with 1 being horrible and 10 being excellent.

Having tried Mediacom in Ames and again when I moved this fall, I will never try them again. They have by far the worst customer service of any company I know of.

I took a speed hit to get CenturyLink back because they are so pleasant to deal with. When service is out they are typically working on the issue before I even notice. If I have an issue with my equipment, I always get someone knowledgeable unlike the idiots Mediacom always had me talking to. Seriously, Mediacom sent a guy to my house that had no idea how to run my TiVo box and he actually put me on the phone with his manager so I could do everything.

CenturyLink now has 1 year contracts just remember to call each year to get on a new contract and keep the bill low. They don't argue they just sign me up. When I cancelled this past summer they attempted to keep me on board, but I was determined to try Mediacom again for the cyclone network and TiVo. I had absolutely zero issues with disconnecting or billing issues from CenturyLink. In total, I've had 3 years with CenturyLink.

Current setup: CenturyLink 40mbs & Playstation Vue (Combined with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, & local). Highly recommend both!

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Mediacom's service has actually gotten better. Used to be if your internet was down and they needed to come out it would be minimum of 4-6 days. Lately it's been within a few days or even next day. BIG problem with Mediacom is how horribly unreliable their internet is. Goes down way, way too frequently. Absolutely sucks that there's no other non-DSL options. MCG in Oskaloosa apparently has great service but they no longer serve all of Warren County.

Mediacom is still a big ole POS where I lived. Was paying for 100mbps internet and it took multiple trips and calls to get a modem that would even handle it. I again had to call to get my 5g wireless turned on (which still cuts out every 2 min) when the 2.4 runs fine, just slower. The second or third tech that came was working on the wiring in the basement where they had stuck 4 splitters back to back with a 6-8" piece of coax to quote "knock down the signal" coming into the house.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
I, too, had major problems with Century Link after I ended my service last fall (I moved). First, after calling to end my service, and well after I had unplugged and moved, they tried to say I had not actually cancelled. Then, after I thought I had resolved that problem, I would periodically get bills with no rhyme, reason, or explanation. I paid one, thinking it would go away. Now I have another from a month ago. Again, no explanation. Earlier, I mailed in what I thought was all the equipment, but neglected to include the power cord (I thought it was mine). They charged me $150 for that. I will never do business with them again.
Lawyers, I smell class action lawsuit.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Also, I have contacted Centurylink about getting faster speeds at my parents house, and they say they currently have the fastest speeds they can offer in Ames. When I told them we're getting half the speed they're paying for, they said there is nothing they can do about it.

I live in a rinky dink town in southwest Iowa of 150 people. There's a guy who runs an internet company and he's the only one who works for his business. For $50, I get four times the speeds I do when in Ames.
Cedar Falls Utilities is very good for the internet too.