CAMPBELL: Complete uniform/image overhaul coming

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
This uniforms thread reminds me of the "walk out music" thread. A bunch of 40 year old white guys arguing about what is best for the program. When you should realize, neither of those things are for you. They are for the players and future recruits.
Do I like rap music? Nope. Do I like crazy colored shoes and jerseys? nope. But I'm not a player and Campbell still won't recruit me bc apparently great hands don't make up for a 5.1 40 time.
If the players dig black jerseys and get pumped up to rap music and if those things give recruits a "cooler" perception of ISU then I'm ok with ditching AC/DC and the yellow and red.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It would be inaccurate to say that UNI just incorporated black out of the blue. They have a history of black going back at least thirty-five years ago when I was in high school and my brother was going there.

You might be correct, but I don't remember any black in their football uniforms when I was younger.

The fact is... black is not one of their colors, period. It's not one of Stanford's colors. It's not one of Northwestern's colors. It's not one of Ohio State's colors. Etc, etc, etc.

I don't like the adding of black, I've been on record multiple times saying so. However, I'm becoming more open to it, at least until I see what they are proposing.

Initially I thought if we go with black we should only do black with gray/silver or white but no "colors", however after seeing these other schools' addition of black, they usually still have some of their true school colors mixed in, and now I think you should probably do that. For example, you will see Stanford wear all black with their normal red helmets, or Northwestern wear all black with their normal purple helmets.

What would ISU look like with our red helmets, black jerseys, and our normal red pants?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
As for the first point (black/gray), who's to say that trend won't wane? Then what?

Then we get rid of that uniform set. They're adding an alternate uniform set, not completely getting rid of cardinal and gold.

Re: "The players love it." Why do people assume this is the case, as if it's been proven by exhaustive research? Some players probably do, some might not care.

Oregon. TCU. Okie St. ASU. Stanford. Michigan St. Ohio St. Big and not quite as big programs everywhere do it. I'm sure that's because their kids hate it.

I've been a purist oldie who resisted too much alternative nonsense, but I've gone more with the flow in the past few years. (Even that fad could run its course, for all we know). The black/gray stuff — why even have school colors?

Once again, adding a black/gray uniform set/options to the uniform scheme does not mean cardinal and gold are not the school colors or black/gray are becoming a school color. Everyone insists that white become a trim color (I'm not talking road uniforms, mind you). White is not a school color.

Reactions: cyence

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You might be correct, but I don't remember any black in their football uniforms when I was younger.

The fact is... black is not one of their colors, period. It's not one of Stanford's colors. It's not one of Northwestern's colors. It's not one of Ohio State's colors. Etc, etc, etc.

I don't like the adding of black, I've been on record multiple times saying so. However, I'm becoming more open to it, at least until I see what they are proposing.

Initially I thought if we go with black we should only do black with gray/silver or white but no "colors", however after seeing these other schools' addition of black, they usually still have some of their true school colors mixed in, and now I think you should probably do that. For example, you will see Stanford wear all black with their normal red helmets, or Northwestern wear all black with their normal purple helmets.

What would ISU look like with our red helmets, black jerseys, and our normal red pants?

Gray uniforms look good with red helmet. I would like white uniforms with a white helmet as well.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It just boggles my mind that everyone demands CMC turn ISU into a winner, yet they don't want to give him every single tool available to do so. Alternate uniforms with alternate/nontraditional colors are one of those tools. "Only traditional uniforms with cardinal and gold (and perhaps a little white when necessary)" handcuffs CMC. It doesn't matter whether us fans love or hate black and silver as ISU uniforms because at the end of the day they're not for us. They're for the players and potential incoming players. CMC wouldn't be sporting black and silver and hinting at black and silver uniforms if it didn't work.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
I'm for whatever colors and uniforms get us the best recruits. Great recruits and the better play they bring will create way more fans than alternate uniforms lose us. We are in a critical time in the next 5-10 years where the product we field and the atmosphere we create may very well have a direct impact on this program's place in the NCAA world going forward. We need to be creative, and be willing to sacrifice what some of us see as tradition for the chance of a continued place at the table going forward. There has NEVER been a more important time to win and win a lot and you do that with good players. All efforts need to be put toward attracting them.

I guess I'm a traditionalist, but this was well said; I don't disagree.

Reactions: psychlone99

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
nobody makes fun of UNI for now having black and yellow in their uniforms.

The purple hawks? Why would they?

This uniforms thread reminds me of the "walk out music" thread. A bunch of 40 year old white guys arguing about what is best for the program.

giphy.gif

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
It just boggles my mind that everyone demands CMC turn ISU into a winner, yet they don't want to give him every single tool available to do so. Alternate uniforms with alternate/nontraditional colors are one of those tools. "Only traditional uniforms with cardinal and gold (and perhaps a little white when necessary)" handcuffs CMC. It doesn't matter whether us fans love or hate black and silver as ISU uniforms because at the end of the day they're not for us. They're for the players and potential incoming players. CMC wouldn't be sporting black and silver and hinting at black and silver uniforms if it didn't work.

I wish I could "winner" this post more than once. This is exactly how i feel.

Well said!

• Agree
Reactions: cyence and Cycsk

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
OK, so I think that most of us will be fine w/ having Black alternates, if that is what Coach and players want. I am OK w/ it, not that it matters.

Trice stripes, on the shoulder...
Cy Uniforms 2017  gTr30a - r w r  .jpg

Last edited:

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
This uniforms thread reminds me of the "walk out music" thread. A bunch of 40 year old white guys arguing about what is best for the program. When you should realize, neither of those things are for you. They are for the players and future recruits.
Do I like rap music? Nope. Do I like crazy colored shoes and jerseys? nope. But I'm not a player and Campbell still won't recruit me bc apparently great hands don't make up for a 5.1 40 time.
If the players dig black jerseys and get pumped up to rap music and if those things give recruits a "cooler" perception of ISU then I'm ok with ditching AC/DC and the yellow and red.

Sorry, but I still say the walk out music isn't for the players. If a player needs some walk out music to amp him up then he shouldn't be playing. The music is part of the entertainment factor for the fans.

That said, I really don't care what uniforms they bring in as long as they don't glow in the dark like Baylor or Oregon. Also really don't want to see what Stanz said, the black helmet with gold cyclone. Black with gold helmets are for the trailer parks on the Eastern side of the state.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
All this talk about 'black' gave me the incentive to do this design. If you turn your computer screen just right, it does look black.

I think this jersey would work well as a gray alternate. Plus CMC looks like he wants to mix things up in terms of combinations. We are already using the funnel/swirl on the back of helmets as stickers, so why not also bring back one of our best historical logos, the Walking Cy? Walking Cy might work great on gray (or black) jersey.

Cy Uniforms 2017  gTr6a - r g r  .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
That said, I really don't care what uniforms they bring in as long as they don't glow in the dark like Baylor or Oregon.
I'm at ISU, and glow in the dark neon yellow *might* look pretty sick for a single game alternate.
While I'd generally not want black myself, as a fan (I've also been going to games for 16 years; I respect/love the traditions), I won't judge it until I see it. If I was a player who didn't grow up an ISU fan, I'd probably love the idea of it. As fan, black and silver being our original school colors helps get the idea over the hump for me. And I'd love it if they sold it that way.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You guys are so into being last to the part "that was so 2011" with these ideas.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I have a gut feeling by what CMC has been wearing to most functions lately that if we go with black it's not going to have any cardinal or gold in it. It will be silver I-State logo on black helmet, black jersey with either gray or silver numbers, and black pants with silver or gray stripes.

This is just my total guess. CMC hasn't been wearing any cardinal or gold when he has the black on. It's been a black polo with silver I-State logo and gray pants.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
All speculation aside, I'm excited to be updating the crappy Chizik era unis.
Agreed. Making us wait for the unveiling of any new uniforms, is part of his plan and only generates more fan interest.

Last edited: