Lil Ferentz takes digs at ISU

hawxrox09

Sep 2, 2010
a lot more than you can afford buddy!!!!

I just felt like saying that. This thread is great because it contains all the hawk fans who havent realized there is a desolate wasteland called hawkeye nation in which to post on. A place where you click new posts and it brings up threads last updated 3 weeks ago. If half of you posted as frequently on that site as you do here (and im not saying youre not welcome here) Jon MIller wouldnt be selling plumbing supplies in kansas right now.

Why would they do that? Hawkeye Nation is terrible and Jon Miller is too. Rivals is the main Iowa site which has more activity than either HN/CF.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It isn't a money thing for Iowa as much as it is a philosophy thing. Iowa is never going to be a school to out talent folks like OSU, Michigan and Penn State can. So to compete Iowa is going to have to be a developmental program. I feel you look at where Iowa spends it resources and focus for football it is on development. Our facilities and coaching salaries show clearly what we value while being competitive within conference and national norms. I was intrigued by early thought of Joe Philbin returning as he had OC and HC experience at the NFL level but recruiting wasn't something he wanted to do again. Brian understands the challenges at Iowa and is entrenched in the successful philosophy and culture that has been built. He will either be successful or he won't. Kirk has always had a pretty specific plan in mind for his program and overall it has been successful. Not to say everything has gone as planned but there has been more good than bad. Nothing leads me to think anything is that different.

That and a great schedule where you only play one team consistently with a pulse (Wisconsin). The blowouts in bowl games, where only one of has shown what iowa really is. The fact that these games have been played against middling teams, or in floridas case a team with key injuries, adds to that further. The only team you've played in that run that would be considered elite was Stanford, and that game was over 30 seconds into it.

But that would be a lot too honest for your insecurities over knowing no one cares about iowa to ever admit.

MVCchamps

May 1, 2017
That and a great schedule where you only play one team consistently with a pulse (Wisconsin). The blowouts in bowl games, where only one of has shown what iowa really is. The fact that these games have been played against middling teams, or in floridas case a team with key injuries, adds to that further. The only team you've played in that run that would be considered elite was Stanford, and that game was over 30 seconds into it.

But that would be a lot too honest for your insecurities over knowing no one cares about iowa to ever admit.

According to the AP Iowa is the 26th best football program since the 1930's. Meanwhile isu is still looking up at Iowa Pre-Flight.

isu = InSecurity University.

• Funny
Reactions: ICHawk24

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
According to the AP Iowa is the 26th best football program since the 1930's. Meanwhile isu is still looking up at Iowa Pre-Flight.

But you and your buddies basically live on this site. That's pathetic.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
What is pathetic is the obsession this site has with Iowa. Would you feel better if your obsession was left unchecked?

Wut? Of course we're going to have threads about our rivals. So do the Iowa sites. No difference between the two schools as far as that goes. We're not anymore obsessed with Iowa than Iowa is with us. Do you see our OC running around crying and whining about Iowa's recruiting tactics? Your new OC is already obsessed with ISU.

Not only that, but you're spending all your free time on an ISU fan website and claiming we're obsessed with Iowa?? Wowsers.... oh the irony.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It isn't a money thing for Iowa as much as it is a philosophy thing. Iowa is never going to be a school to out talent folks like OSU, Michigan and Penn State can.

Why is that? Iowa has been a good program for 30 years yet still struggles to recruit much better than ISU. They also have the extras in place to get top talent. Putting players in the NFL also has to be a good selling point for getting top talent it Iowa. Its all most like the staff settles for lesser talent and stays away from kids they don't think they can get. It is all most like the CPR method, but Iowa does do a better job at developing talent then Paul did.

• Funny

MVCchamps

May 1, 2017
Why is that? Iowa has been a good program for 30 years yet still struggles to recruit much better than ISU. They also have the extras in place to get top talent. Putting players in the NFL also has to be a good selling point for getting top talent it Iowa. Its all most like the staff settles for lesser talent and stays away from kids they don't think they can get. It is all most like the CPR method, but Iowa does do a better job at developing talent then Paul did.

As I said Iowa doesn't try and out talent via recruiting rankings. We go after kids we know will fit our culture and our developmental philosophy. Iowa is 15-3 in recruiting against CMC head to head so I wouldn't call that struggling at all.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
As I said Iowa doesn't try and out talent via recruiting rankings. We go after kids we know will fit our culture and our developmental philosophy. Iowa is 15-3 in recruiting against CMC head to head so I wouldn't call that struggling at all.

You actually keep a tally on recruiting gets vs ISU? Talk about obsessed. Besides, how do you even tell who has a solid offer and who didn't? Do you count kids that signed with iowa the year Campbell was hired where he had two months to put together a class? The whole idea is f'ing stupid, but that's not surprising coming from you.

Reactions: cymac2408

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

So top ranked HS players don't fit into what Iowa is doing? Iowa should out recruit ISU, it should never be in question. But in the final recruiting ranking ISU holds its own vs Iowa. Iowa is a top 25 program that is a top 40 recruiter. Just think of what kind of program Iowa can be if it becomes a top 30 or 25 recruiter.

MVCchamps

May 1, 2017
You actually keep a tally on recruiting gets vs ISU? Talk about obsessed. Besides, how do you even tell who has a solid offer and who didn't? Do you count kids that signed with iowa the year Campbell was hired where he had two months to put together a class? The whole idea is f'ing stupid, but that's not surprising coming from you.

You are right with isu offering 3,256 kids it is hard to tell who has a legit isu offer. I actually didn't know until the master obsessor Cy Twins did as he does. Then when I fact checked that is what I found.

Why wouldn't we count CMC'e first class? He tried to recruit several kids that signed with Iowa right up to the last day. Or tell me which should and shouldn't count.

Last edited:
  • Funny

MVCchamps

May 1, 2017
So top ranked HS players don't fit into what Iowa is doing? Iowa should out recruit ISU, it should never be in question. But in the final recruiting ranking ISU holds its own vs Iowa. Iowa is a top 25 program that is a top 40 recruiter. Just think of what kind of program Iowa can be if it becomes a top 30 or 25 recruiter.
Never said that. I said Iowa recruits based on fit with culture and philosophy not on star rankings by some recruiting service. If isu wants the let others do their evaluations and recruit based on star rankings so clone fans can puff their chests so be the it. Iowa has been rsuccessful with their methodology who knows if isu will be with theirs.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It isn't a money thing for Iowa as much as it is a philosophy thing. Iowa is never going to be a school to out talent folks like OSU, Michigan and Penn State can. So to compete Iowa is going to have to be a developmental program. I feel you look at where Iowa spends it resources and focus for football it is on development. Our facilities and coaching salaries show clearly what we value while being competitive within conference and national norms. I was intrigued by early thought of Joe Philbin returning as he had OC and HC experience at the NFL level but recruiting wasn't something he wanted to do again. Brian understands the challenges at Iowa and is entrenched in the successful philosophy and culture that has been built. He will either be successful or he won't. Kirk has always had a pretty specific plan in mind for his program and overall it has been successful. Not to say everything has gone as planned but there has been more good than bad. Nothing leads me to think anything is that different.
Yes, we shall see. Don't know what vague terms like "development" and "culture" mean in this discussion. Brian F can "develop" players better than coaches at OSU, Mich, and Penn State? Where is the proof?
When Ferentz was hired, he brought the defensive version of Riley or Moorhead in Norm Parker. Parker had been around, from Michigan State to Vanderbilt. Parker didn't care about Iowa's "culture," he knew what he wanted to do, and his resume proved it. He was just a great coordinator. And he had been one previously at other schools...

Last edited:

MVCchamps

May 1, 2017
Yes, we shall see. Don't know what vague terms like "development" and "culture" mean in this discussion. Brian F can "develop" players better than coaches at OSU, Mich, and Penn State? Where is the proof?
When Ferentz was hired, he brought the defensive version of Riley or Moorhead in Norm Parker. Parker had been around, from Michigan State to Vanderbilt. Parker didn't care about Iowa's "culture," he knew what he wanted to do, and his resume proved it. He was just a great coordinator. And he had been one previously at other schools...

Not true at all. Norm ran a defense that was what KF wanted to utilize. Norm had a lot of Big Ten experience and knew what was needed to win in our league. Iowa has had 15 players two star or below recruits that have been drafted since 2003. None of them had offers from Michigan, OSU or Penn State. Pretty sure none of them would turn down any of them after they were developed into the players Iowa helped them become. The NFL sure didn't.

I hope isu's coaches know as little about developing players and the impact of culture as you do

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Not true at all. Norm ran a defense that was what KF wanted to utilize. Norm had a lot of Big Ten experience and knew what was needed to win in our league. Iowa has had 15 players two star or below recruits that have been drafted since 2003. None of them had offers from Michigan, OSU or Penn State. Pretty sure none of them would turn down any of them after they were developed into the players Iowa helped them become. The NFL sure didn't.

I hope isu's coaches know as little about developing players and the impact of culture as you do
What BS. I listened to Norm Parker talk at clinics. He valued the same attributes in players that everyone like OSU, Mich and PSU do: speed, size, and smarts. Parker recruited the same defensive players those schools did . He used to joke about not getting them.
BTW - Ferentz gave him total control of the defense.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

Jeff. You don't need to explain why you're so insecure. We live areound you folks.

Now you can just get back to "just winning regularly". How's New York? Any big projects you're managing?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
You are right with isu offering 3,256 kids it is hard to tell who has a legit isu offer. I actually didn't know until the master obsessor Cy Twins did as he does. Then when I fact checked that is what I found.

Why wouldn't we count CMC'e first class? He tried to recruit several kids that signed with Iowa right up to the last day. Or tell me which should and shouldn't count.

I don't know...because Rivals and 24/7 don't list which players had offers from Rhoads and which had offers from Campbell? Not to mention he had a whole two months to recruit that class and a month of it was dead period. Doesn't matter anyway, I'm totally fine with ISU's recruiting under Campbell.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Never said that. I said Iowa recruits based on fit with culture and philosophy not on star rankings by some recruiting service. If isu wants the let others do their evaluations and recruit based on star rankings so clone fans can puff their chests so be the it. Iowa has been rsuccessful with their methodology who knows if isu will be with theirs.

If you really believe that ISU recruits based on star rankings and others' evaluations, you are even a bigger idiot than you let on. ISU under Campbell has been first to offer way more kids than iowa...including pretty much every in-state kid (other than Doyle's son) after that first winter when he got here in November. And many of the players they offered first "blew up" with multiple P5 offers down the line...some went to ISU and many did not.

Being first to offer isn't always a great thing as it can burn you, but saying that ISU is not evaluating on their own is ignorant.