Brody Teske

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
What are our chances with Teske? I've seen around that he attends C-RTC practices and was rumored to attend the Humboldt social..

He would be a big time recruiting win for our new staff. Most likely a true 125 pounder for us.

Thoughts?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I live in Fort Dodge, and know Brody's dad. They aren't tipping their hand(s) yet if in fact they have any leanings. But whoever gets Brody is going to get a real winner......this kid has focused on being a top wrestler since he was a little kid. This is what drives him, and he spends his time working on being the best 365 days a year. Plus he's a good student and a great kid. I hope he becomes a Cyclone - if I hear of anything, I'll be the first to post it here.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
OK, here's what I've learned - since CKD's arrival, Teske (and several other good Fort Dodge wrestlers) has been working out in Ames twice a week. Dresser established the Regional Olympic Training Facility, and this should draw good prospects from all around the area. Dresser has offered Teske (a full ride, however he makes that work) and apparently several other schools have as well. Brody is focused right now on what he has to accomplish this summer, then would like to make his decision early so he isn't thinking about it during his senior season in high school.

Here's a link to a good article about Brody and his work ethic and recruitment:
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...dge-iowa-iowa-state-uni-recruiting/100473894/

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Thanks for the info SCyclone! Really hope we can land Brody. I think he is a 4 year starter for us at 125. And it would be fun as hell to see him battle Spencer Lee every year. To me, Brody is the perfect wrestler for Dresser, Metcalf, Zadick and St John to help mold and grow. His style of relentless pressure and attacking is perfect for them. I think he'd thrive with their guidance.
I'm happy that Dresser is offering him a full ride (as he deserves it). Getting Brody as the first BIG in state recruiting win would be huge for this new staff. (fingers crossed)

Side note: really pumped what this CRTC is going to do for HS wrestling in the state and what it can help build with the future of the program. I heard that Sebolt's club is partnering up with the CRTC to run practices in Ames. That's huge. The club has a TON of studs in it. Would also love to see High Altitude Wrestling (Club) get something worked out with the CRTC too. Ton of really good kids come through there also.

Go State.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
OK, here's what I've learned - since CKD's arrival, Teske (and several other good Fort Dodge wrestlers) has been working out in Ames twice a week. Dresser established the Regional Olympic Training Facility, and this should draw good prospects from all around the area. Dresser has offered Teske (a full ride, however he makes that work) and apparently several other schools have as well. Brody is focused right now on what he has to accomplish this summer, then would like to make his decision early so he isn't thinking about it during his senior season in high school.

Here's a link to a good article about Brody and his work ethic and recruitment:
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...dge-iowa-iowa-state-uni-recruiting/100473894/

My now (lame) claim to fame: I beat a 3-time (soon to be 4-time) state champion's dad in the finals of a sophomore wrestling tournament.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
My now (lame) claim to fame: I beat a 3-time (soon to be 4-time) state champion's dad in the finals of a sophomore wrestling tournament.

Nice! We take our victories where we can get them. I'm wondering - how many Iowa high school kids have finished their careers undefeated, as well as being 4-time state champs? I'm betting that's a pretty short list...........

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Nice! We take our victories where we can get them. I'm wondering - how many Iowa high school kids have finished their careers undefeated, as well as being 4-time state champs? I'm betting that's a pretty short list...........

If he duplicates that run as a senior, he'd be the seventh athlete in state history to complete his career unbeaten.
- Not sure if all of those are 4-time champs. When I was in high school 9th graders couldn't wrestle with the high school so some could be 3-time.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014

John Meeks is the most recent member to win 4 titles and go undefeated. Carter Happel lost as a FR in (District duals maybe? - it was a Wilton kid), Max Thomsen lost as a FR, and I think Cory Clark lost his senior year (to Phil Laux maybe?).

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Won't Alex Thomsen be an undefeated 4-timer too? Assuming he takes care of business next season, of course.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Undefeated 4x Champs:
John Meeks (DM Roosevelt, 2009-12) - 168-0
Eric Juergens (Maquoketa, 1993-96) - 144-0
Jeff McGinness (IC City, 1990-93) - 172-0
Dan Knight (Clinton, 1984-87) - 128-0
Jeff Kerber (Emmetsburg, 1976-79) - 126-0

*Gable was undefeated in 3 years of varsity competition (64-0, 3 titles)

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
John Meeks is the most recent member to win 4 titles and go undefeated. Carter Happel lost as a FR in (District duals maybe? - it was a Wilton kid), Max Thomsen lost as a FR, and I think Cory Clark lost his senior year (to Phil Laux maybe?).

Clark's loss was to Jack Hathaway.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
There were a few other 4 timers that only lost once by disqualification for slams or causing injury. A loss is a loss but still not the same as getting beat in a match. I am not going to look it up but I think one of the Ogden 4 timers and maybe LeClere from North Linn fit this category.

RossIAwrestle

Mar 27, 2014
There were a few other 4 timers that only lost once by disqualification for slams or causing injury. A loss is a loss but still not the same as getting beat in a match. I am not going to look it up but I think one of the Ogden 4 timers and maybe LeClere from North Linn fit this category.

Pretty sure LeClere's loss was to a guy from Belle Plaine his freshman year.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Interesting tidbit:

Former Fort Dodge wrestler Bill Koll used to use the body slam at UNI -- where he finished as an undefeated 3-time NCAA champion. Before that he fought at D-Day.

billkoll4.jpg

Bill Koll: Register Sports Hall of Fame
http://data.desmoinesregister.com/hall-of-fame/single.php?id=464

. . . Koll was noted for his body-slam technique, but he doesn't take credit for being the one who caused that maneuver to be outlawed, as some claim.

"I would slam 'em down if I could," he said. "The year after I graduated, they took the slam out of wrestling.
"It was one of my favorite moves -- a perfectly legal tactic. It wasn't something that was dubious. It was in our repertoire.

"As a matter of fact, if I were wrestling today, I'd probably last about 30 seconds, because almost all of the stuff we used then is illegal now.

"Wing locks, double bar arms, the body slam ... those are some of the things we used that are illegal now. They were kind of painful, and helped make a person submit quicker."

Koll made the U.S. Olympic team for the 1948 Games at London, England, but does not have fond memories of that experience. The European brand of freestyle wrestling was foreign to him, and he wound up losing for the first time since his high school days, finishing in fifth place.

Koll's coaching career took him to the University of Chicago, Cornell College, back to Cedar Falls as McCuskey's replacement when McCuskey went to Iowa, and finally to Penn State for the last 21 years. . . .

Bill Koll went on to become head coach at Penn State, which was good, always in top twenty, but not like it is today. Bill Koll's son Rob is the highly successful head coach at Cornell (University in New York).

Here is a good article about Rob and Bill Koll from a decade ago:

Intermat Rewind: Bill and Rob Koll
https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/2848

I don't know whether there is any family relationship with ISU track great Lisa Koll (Uhl), who is also from Fort Dodge. But I see that just today, someone linked a recent interview with her:

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/cyclone-track-great-lisa-uhl-is-awesome.229020/

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Won't Alex Thomsen be an undefeated 4-timer too? Assuming he takes care of business next season, of course.
Yes. Right before his freshman season, Alex kind of came out of nowhere to win a big national tournament, in Oklahoma, I think, against top competition. So he was highly ranked right away in Iowa. At state that year he wrestled and defeated a defending state champion sophomore, one of the West brothers, Drew, I believe, in a match, that at the time, was between two potential 4-time undefeated state champions.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonenation5

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron