Here's a good summary of conference revenues ...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I copied this from the Iowa Board of Regents Budget - Fiscal Year 2017. It was dated July 18, 2016 so there should be a new one coming out this summer.

As you can see, there is a line titled "Multi-Media Rights". The estimate for FY2016 is $5.6M. However, this includes more than just revenue from Cyclones.TV. It includes things like advertising on video and ribbon boards. Before the improvements and the south end zone construction were completed at Jack Trice, that number was in the $3-4M range. Now it's in the $5-6M.

Unfortunately, I don't know how much of this number ($5-6M) would be considered "3rd Tier". Perhaps someone has knowledge and would be willing to share. Or maybe a bunch of people would be willing to just give their opinion of what the answer is.

View attachment 48045

Why would proposed Football Ticket Sales for FY 2017 be $1 million less than budget for FY2016?

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Just for kicks...do you have the attachment for Iowa? That would be an interesting comparison of overall revenue. The conference media and 3rd tier rights show us right around $34.3M, which is only $500K behind the BIG payout.

You can find all of the Board of Regent budget reports here.

From the most recent report (FY2017), Iowa State's athletic budget is page 20 and University of Iowa's is page 14.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You can find all of the Board of Regent budget reports here.

From the most recent report (FY2017), Iowa State's athletic budget is page 20 and University of Iowa's is page 14.

Blatant favoritism there putting Iowa 6 pages ahead of ISU. Who can we boycott?

:jimlad:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's a good thing Iowa gets about 6 million more a year than ISU in order to settle their lawsuits against them.

So in reality, once Iowa is done settling lawsuits, we make about the same! Didn't the Rhabdo thing cost them a pretty penny too? What about the Pierce thing? I can't remember all of them, and whether it cost Iowa anything?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I would love to see a Big 12/Pac 12 merger for the sake of future stability for when the whole conference shake-up happens in 2024. As others have mentioned the biggest issue is whether or not it would make sense for Texas and OU financially, but lets just go with the hypothetical, what would that conference look like, and what consessions would various parties have to make?

First, WVU. They would likely want out due to the geographical layout and their cultural fit of this new conference. I dont think there would be many opposed to letting them duck out and join the ACC, where they are a far more natural fit.

Next, TCU and Baylor. The Pac 12 has been opposed to letting religious institutions (BYU) join their conference for some time now. If they were willing to change that stance, then TCU and Baylor could stay, and an invite could be extended to BYU to get to 22 teams. You could also look to add two more schools to get to 24, but that seems unlikely with how last years expansion search went. I dont see a merger happening if TCU and Baylor (pending legal issues aside) aren't allowed in.

So you end up with a conference of 22 or 24 teams.

Pacific Division: Wash, Wazzou, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, Utah, Arizona, Arizona St
Plains Division: Colorado, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Oklahoma, Okie St, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, BYU

If they went to 24, they could add some combination of Houston, Colorado St, Boise St, UNLV, UNM, SDSU, or Air Force, do 4 divisions.

How big of a pie are you splitting? 22 or 24 pieces. Better be a damn big pie.

PAC 12 is at a natural disadvantage because they are in the Pacific Time Zone.

It won't happen.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My guess would be the 7 home games in 2016 compared to only 6 in 2017.

Thanks. That must be it.

Do we really sell $1 million of single game tickets for a 7-home game season? I thought most of our revenue comes from season tickets which haven't changed with 6 or 7 game packages.

Wonder what it would have cost to buy out the Akron game? We did it with the away game with San Jose State.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I would love to see a Big 12/Pac 12 merger for the sake of future stability for when the whole conference shake-up happens in 2024. As others have mentioned the biggest issue is whether or not it would make sense for Texas and OU financially, but lets just go with the hypothetical, what would that conference look like, and what consessions would various parties have to make?

First, WVU. They would likely want out due to the geographical layout and their cultural fit of this new conference. I dont think there would be many opposed to letting them duck out and join the ACC, where they are a far more natural fit.

Next, TCU and Baylor. The Pac 12 has been opposed to letting religious institutions (BYU) join their conference for some time now. If they were willing to change that stance, then TCU and Baylor could stay, and an invite could be extended to BYU to get to 22 teams. You could also look to add two more schools to get to 24, but that seems unlikely with how last years expansion search went. I dont see a merger happening if TCU and Baylor (pending legal issues aside) aren't allowed in.

So you end up with a conference of 22 or 24 teams.

Pacific Division: Wash, Wazzou, Oregon, Oregon St, Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, Utah, Arizona, Arizona St
Plains Division: Colorado, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Oklahoma, Okie St, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, BYU

If they went to 24, they could add some combination of Houston, Colorado St, Boise St, UNLV, UNM, SDSU, or Air Force, do 4 divisions.

If there ends up sharing of PACN assets but the two conferences remain totally separate entities, the B12 likely stays intact with 10 schools.

If there is a true merger, the Pac12 will never agree to include Baylor and TCU could be iffy as well with their arm's length affiliation with the Disciples of Christ church. Assuming ESPN and Texas settle on LHN and WV goes to the ACC or SEC, you would likely see a Pac10 West with the old Pac10 schools and Pac10 East with Utah and Colorado joining 8 B12 schools (without Baylor and WV). The only joint FB and BB game between the two would a FB CCG. All other games would be considered non-conference games.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I'd like to start small by just taking AZ and ASU . Culturally, they are more similar to the B12 than the PAC. Then the pressure would shift from us to the PAC which might just make them more agreeable to accepting religious schools like TCU, Baylor & BYU.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Actually, I believe if you were to ask West Virginia fans they believe the Big 12 is a better cultural fit than the Big East or ACC. Plus I'm fairly certain the ACC doesn't want West Virginia. They've had multiple opportunities and passed every time. I say we keep those crazy bastards.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneGuy8

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
No P12 Merger unless its a last resort.

The PAC 12 is a dumpster fire. I wouldn't be surprised if Larry Scott is canned or contact not renewed at some point in the near future. If the Big12 continues to see its revenues keep up, it wouldn't surprise me that some PAC12 schools might want into the Big 12.

Theres a ton of things that can happen in the next 5-8 years. One thing is for sure, the Big 12 is in much better shape that people give it credit for. Those people more or less live on clickbait and try to keep it in the narrative.

• Disagree
Reactions: surly

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So Don Beebe negotiated a helluva TV contract for the Big 12 before he was ousted.

That was one nice going away present. The gift that keeps on giving.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
So Don Beebe negotiated a helluva TV contract for the Big 12 before he was ousted.

That was one nice going away present. The gift that keeps on giving.

Umm no dude..not even close. Beebe was fired bc he allowed TX to take 80% of all the tv revenue for decade. Bowlsby negotiated the current tv deal i believe or it was chuck neiness (sp)?..who was interim commish after beebe.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Blatant favoritism there putting Iowa 6 pages ahead of ISU. Who can we boycott?

:jimlad:

Had reason to be in Sioux City this week and was taken by the number of ISU vanity plates we saw around town. Far cry from my days there when no one seemed to know Ames existed. It was all Nubs and Hurky back then. Anyway, nice to see the cardinal and gold around town. ;)

Reactions: isutrevman