RECRUITING: Josh Knipfel commits

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
There's even whispers he could be a day one starter. Best part is he has four years to play three.

Not really sure that is great news. I hate it when everyone that transfers in (JC or Grad Transfer) is instantly pencilled in as a starter on the OL. In the end it is probably a good thing, but it doesn't say a lot about the guys that have been program.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not really sure that is great news. I hate it when everyone that transfers in (JC or Grad Transfer) is instantly pencilled in as a starter on the OL. In the end it is probably a good thing, but it doesn't say a lot about the guys that have been program.

I think I hear what you're saying, but not sure. I don't like it when there is always someone saying this person will come in and start from day one when they have no idea if that's true or not, and even worse, it is insulting to the kids already in the program that have put the time in and know the system, etc.

For example, you won't see me anointing this new commit to opening day starter over Oge, Meeker, etc until he proves it in practice. I give much more credit to the guys already in the program. The coaching staff as been REALLY high on Meeker all offseason, so to think some guy off the street is already ahead of Meeker on the depth chart, sorry I'm not buying that at all. Too insulting to the guys already in the program IMO. If the beats them out in summer practice, then fine, but we have some really good players already on the team.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
ISU offense averaged like 32pts per game last 6-7 games..best in school history..You don't do that with a OL that is a train wreck..The OL was a train wreck first 2 games until things settled down and everyone was on same page with the offense in a new system..It's unfortunate that had to happen vs 2 instate schools. Guarantee you 100% that the offense and OL we see step onto the field vs UNI and IOwa this year will be night and day from last years games. Its' not an excuse it just is what it is. I dont think the staff truly knew what they had until about game 3 and not just on the OL. As we all saw by game 3 we had new RB..essentially Park was being worked into rotation more and the OL was a lot diff.

I'll go ahead and say it but we are going to punish UNI like we've never punished them before.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Don't look now, but there is something special going on with the ISU football program. I have been an ISU fan for 40 years and I can't a similar environment. I know it hasn't shown in the win column yet, but it's only a matter of time. Welcome to Cyclone Nation Josh! Go get em.

JarLar

Mar 6, 2016
Ames
ISU offense averaged like 32pts per game last 6-7 games..best in school history..You don't do that with a OL that is a train wreck..The OL was a train wreck first 2 games until things settled down and everyone was on same page with the offense in a new system..It's unfortunate that had to happen vs 2 instate schools. Guarantee you 100% that the offense and OL we see step onto the field vs UNI and IOwa this year will be night and day from last years games. Its' not an excuse it just is what it is. I dont think the staff truly knew what they had until about game 3 and not just on the OL. As we all saw by game 3 we had new RB..essentially Park was being worked into rotation more and the OL was a lot diff.

I'll go ahead and say it but we are going to punish UNI like we've never punished them before.
So what, like 53-0 or something? Since the 1902 team could only win 52-0;)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Based on our prior history with loser division teams, a 24-21 final score favoring us would be considered a shellacking.

A 24-21 win over UNI would leave me feeling VERY uneasy about the season. Yes, I'll be happy for any W, but it will definitely temper my excitement for the rest of the season, unless of course we go out and beat Iowa the following week, then it will be back again! :)