MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Is this team getting full of itself after winning the World Series? This next year championship hangover happens with many teams. Whether it is their bad record, players blaming the manager for things, dressing up as the Anchorman cast instead of concentrating on the next series, or most likely just losing hunger and not working as hard in the offseason. This just isn't the same team. What do you guys think?

Not to pile on, but the "dressing up" theme isn't new.

Do I think there is a bit of a championship hangover going on? Yes...maybe. Have to realize, this is a very, very young team. The departure of David Ross (retirement) is a pretty big deal, for a couple of reasons.

1. Lester. Everyone knows Lester is a really good pitcher...dominant at times...but we also know (or can make a safe assumption) he's very particular, maybe even mentally fragile, with certain things.

2. David Ross is a manager's wet dream. Great clubhouse guy.

Also, I don't think the loss of Fowler (free agency) can be overstated. He is a really good lead off hitter, even when he's not hitting. Guy takes a TON of pitches (at least he did during his time in Chicago. I haven't followed him since his move to STL, because...**** them). The lineup last year was just better constructed. I've been groaning since it was said that Schwarber was going to lead off. Maddon kind of pisses me off (and he did before this season...before he was even with the Cubs). I get it...he's a player's manager, and that's all good, but the guy thinks he's smarter than the game. In some situations, he very well may be, but I hate hitting the pitcher 8th, putting a guy like Baez in front of said pitcher, and leading off a guy that should be hitting 5th or 6th in the lineup. Also, his use of the bullpen is head scratching at times.

Anyway, I figured this team was going to regress a little due to the personnel losses mostly. I saw Arrieta become human halfway through last season (actually I think it started after he beat Pittsburgh in the wildcard game two years ago). That said, once there is summer weather in Chicago, watch out. Team is going to be tough on opposing pitchers, like they were last year, and maybe more so if Heyward continues to do what he's doing.

Whoa...I've said too much. Point to all of this is...if someone has a problem with "Anchorman dress up" they haven't been paying attention until this year, and they are a bandwagon fan at best. Troll at worst.

Have a nice evening.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Brewers lost by giving up two runs in the 10th. Cubs need to take advantage of both MIL and STL losing by coming back and getting this one. Great opportunity to gain some breathing room tonight.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Grandpa Rossy definitely was taken for granted as was Fowler but Contreras has done a great job behind the plate with Lester. His arm has kept runners in check and he has made some big outs picking off guys taking too big of a lead off of Lester that Ross would not have been able to throw out. Lester has still been the Ace of the staff and his early struggles was him not having command of all of his pitches but he has been locked in lately.

Zobrist is finally healthy and has been on fire in the leadoff spot hitting .333 and OBP .355 in 30 AB. I don't think they will be able to replace Fowler's production in the leadoff spot but the depth they have on the roster will make up for it. Starting pitching is what will make or break this season from what we have seen so far. They still have a lot of talent in the minors to be able to make impact trades to fill any holes in the roster. If I was a MLB player I would love to play for Maddon as not only is he a smart baseball manager but he keeps things loose and over a 162 game season if you aren't having a little fun in the process the lows in the season probably would linger more if the clubhouse wasn't a loose atmosphere.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
God damnit. At the beginning of Gonzalez's AB I was shocked he hadn't hit a HR all year. Then bam At least we won't lose any ground.

I think Arrieta has had some decent stuff. Just leaves a few pitches up to get crushed here and there.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I thought Arrieta actually pitched fairly well last night. He's having to make some big time adjustments since he's lost a lot of velocity. Got a lot of strikeouts, only one walk. His biggest problem this year has been that he's been giving up lots of hard contact in the zone. He used to be one of the best in the game at swing and miss rate on strikes but there's a big difference between being able to hit 96 and sitting in the low 90's. It's not going to be easy to make up for the loss of velocity and he will never be 2015 Jake again, but I think he can settle into somewhere around a 3.25-3.50 ERA type of guy by the end of the year and that's still a very productive pitcher.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I thought Arrieta actually pitched fairly well last night. He's having to make some big time adjustments since he's lost a lot of velocity. Got a lot of strikeouts, only one walk. His biggest problem this year has been that he's been giving up lots of hard contact in the zone. He used to be one of the best in the game at swing and miss rate on strikes but there's a big difference between being able to hit 96 and sitting in the low 90's. It's not going to be easy to make up for the loss of velocity and he will never be 2015 Jake again, but I think he can settle into somewhere around a 3.25-3.50 ERA type of guy by the end of the year and that's still a very productive pitcher.
It also doesn't really matter how good he is if we score zero runs....

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Not to pile on, but the "dressing up" theme isn't new.

Do I think there is a bit of a championship hangover going on? Yes...maybe. Have to realize, this is a very, very young team. The departure of David Ross (retirement) is a pretty big deal, for a couple of reasons.

1. Lester. Everyone knows Lester is a really good pitcher...dominant at times...but we also know (or can make a safe assumption) he's very particular, maybe even mentally fragile, with certain things.

2. David Ross is a manager's wet dream. Great clubhouse guy.

Also, I don't think the loss of Fowler (free agency) can be overstated. He is a really good lead off hitter, even when he's not hitting. Guy takes a TON of pitches (at least he did during his time in Chicago. I haven't followed him since his move to STL, because...**** them). The lineup last year was just better constructed. I've been groaning since it was said that Schwarber was going to lead off. Maddon kind of pisses me off (and he did before this season...before he was even with the Cubs). I get it...he's a player's manager, and that's all good, but the guy thinks he's smarter than the game. In some situations, he very well may be, but I hate hitting the pitcher 8th, putting a guy like Baez in front of said pitcher, and leading off a guy that should be hitting 5th or 6th in the lineup. Also, his use of the bullpen is head scratching at times.

Anyway, I figured this team was going to regress a little due to the personnel losses mostly. I saw Arrieta become human halfway through last season (actually I think it started after he beat Pittsburgh in the wildcard game two years ago). That said, once there is summer weather in Chicago, watch out. Team is going to be tough on opposing pitchers, like they were last year, and maybe more so if Heyward continues to do what he's doing.

Whoa...I've said too much. Point to all of this is...if someone has a problem with "Anchorman dress up" they haven't been paying attention until this year, and they are a bandwagon fan at best. Troll at worst.

Have a nice evening.

It really can be and it really is being overstated constantly. Not having Fowler hit lead off is not causing Russell to have a terrible season at the plate. It didn't cause Zobrist to get off to a really slow start, or Rizzo to go through a long slump, or Contreras to struggle at the plate while settling into the everyday starter role. Schwarber's not struggling only because he had to hit lead off. Lineup construction makes very little difference, especially compared to how most fans percieve it. Schwarber was 0/4 with 4 K's in the second hole a couple days ago, I thought moving him out of the leadoff spot was supposed to solve all his problems?

And after all, Fowler is looking like he can't even handle the lead off spot.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/cardinals-dexter-fowler-might-lose-leadoff-spot/

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
It really can be and it really is being overstated constantly. Not having Fowler hit lead off is not causing Russell to have a terrible season at the plate. It didn't cause Zobrist to get off to a really slow start, or Rizzo to go through a long slump, or Contreras to struggle at the plate while settling into the everyday starter role. Schwarber's not struggling only because he had to hit lead off. Lineup construction makes very little difference, especially compared to how most fans percieve it. Schwarber was 0/4 with 4 K's in the second hole a couple days ago, I thought moving him out of the leadoff spot was supposed to solve all his problems?

And after all, Fowler is looking like he can't even handle the lead off spot.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/cardinals-dexter-fowler-might-lose-leadoff-spot/

You're a knowledgeable person. Have always appreciated your input. I do think you rely on numbers too much sometimes. I love numbers/statistics. Love them. They only tell part of the story though.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The way Arrieta has pitched so far he probably is not getting ace money in free agency so that may give the Cubs some leverage to keep him on a more reasonable contract possibly.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Alright. I'm ready to deal some MLB level talent for starting pitching

Baez, Almora, Happ. Whatever

We need it, but this start from Lackey is not that bad that it needs to be discussed. Offense needs to score plain and simple. Cubs team ERA is 4th in the NL. Dodgers are 1.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
This team has 2 reliable starters, Lester and Hendricks. Arrieta is a shell of his former self, Lackey is 400 years old, and Butler is unproven. If it was an elimination game and I had to pick one of those 3 guys, I might pick Butler.

Starting pitching is by far the biggest problem with this team and it's only going to get worse next year.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This team has 2 reliable starters, Lester and Hendricks. Arrieta is a shell of his former self, Lackey is 400 years old, and Butler is unproven. If it was an elimination game and I had to pick one of those 3 guys, I might pick Butler.

Starting pitching is by far the biggest problem with this team and it's only going to get worse next year.

I think Theo and all get the problem fixed, but it's definitely a problem.
I miss dominant Jake, but that was just a temporary fluke in his career. Fun fluke, though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron