***Official Iowa State Golf NCAA Championship***

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Braden Thornbury must just be dominating that course. 6 under through 16.

It is a good sign that we are still holding strong even with Voke being our 4th best score currently.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Actually I think this just an "okay" start although we are holding our own with the lower 2/3's of the ranked teams. The best teams have not teed off yet. Hopefully we can have a better 2nd nine. Lot of golf yet to be played.

* Just an observation, we are ranked near the bottom of the 30 teams and I DO want us to do well.

EDIT: Just did a refresh and we are back to even! :D
Go Cyclones!

I'd say we're doing okay!

We're the worst ranked besides Penn State that's teed off so far, and we're towards the top!

(We could have had a day like Duke... )

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Not many northern teams in that field.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So are the next round's tee times based on team standings? That is, if Iowa State can hold on to a top 15 placing would they be in the afternoon grouping?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
So are the next round's tee times based on team standings? That is, if Iowa State can hold on to a top 15 placing would they be in the afternoon grouping?

Round 2 times are already set. Today's morning groups go tomorrow afternoon, and vice versa. The field will be re-racked for Round 3 on Sunday.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
This is very, very impressive. To think we have advanced this far, I would say this is a successful year.

• Agree
Reactions: ComCY

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Rich Harvest Farms is a beast of a course. It was about 20 miles from my house and pops up out of nowhere. Beautiful, and everything you hope for in a tournament style of course. But goddamn did it look difficult.

I went to watch the Solheim Cup there in 2009, and I was in awe of some of the shots those ladies were putting up. But with the shape of the fairways and trees/bunker placement, even great shots would go begging.

Very curious as to how the course plays because it has been pretty wet in Illinois and I wonder if that softness will help the players.

I will certainly be tuning in.

I've read that it's in perfect shape but the design kind of sucks. He designed it himself and went with the "harder is better" theory and there are a lot of shots that are just too difficult at 7700 yards. This was writing from people who are really into design. Holes with 200+ yard forced carries to tucked pins with too much green complex in them. I haven't really seen much from anyone on site that thinks it's a good design from the tips. A lot think it could have been really good at 7200 or so. making some of the shots more managable.

That said, Jerry Rich is a great guy. He's done a lot for golf and picked up a lot of the bills for events being had there. Interesting note- He's a billionaire that was going to join Augusta but made the mistake of asking how much it would cost so they wouldn't allow him. Then he built his own damn course.

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I've read that it's in perfect shape but the design kind of sucks. He designed it himself and went with the "harder is better" theory and there are a lot of shots that are just too difficult at 7700 yards. This was writing from people who are really into design. Holes with 200+ yard forced carries to tucked pins with too much green complex in them. I haven't really seen much from anyone on site that thinks it's a good design from the tips. A lot think it could have been really good at 7200 or so. making some of the shots more managable.

That said, Jerry Rich is a great guy. He's done a lot for golf and picked up a lot of the bills for events being had there. Interesting note- He's a billionaire that was going to join Augusta but made the mistake of asking how much it would cost so they wouldn't allow him. Then he built his own damn course.
Yeah, your description of it seems about spot on from my eye test. Looks beautiful but plays hard as hell. I didn't realize it was 7700 from the tips, that does add to the complexity for sure. Jerry Rich seems like a guy I'd like to be friends with hahah

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Yikes, bad last few holes as a team.

Hopefully they can finish out strong.

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hole #7 ate us up for some reason. Par 5, and our guys went... double, double, bogey, par, par. That is not good... especially for a par 5. Nonetheless, the guys are playing well above their ranking coming in.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Got to looking and realized it's only playing 7300 right now. That's probably not too bad.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We've moved up one place since we've finished playing, so hopefully some other teams still on the course will fall back and we can move up a bit more.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Starting the day tied for 19th. Even after top two kinda bombed Friday we are ahead of nine teams ranked higher than us. If our top guys can rebound and 3,4,5 play like they did Friday we could move up some today. We don't tee off till 2:35.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We're back in this thing! Have to make the top 8 after tomorrow to get to the match play portion. 8 shots out of it right now. We're going to need Voke to get hot tomorrow after a rough first 27. We also have a lot of holes left including the par 5. Awesome turnaround today.

Edit: I was misinformed. Looks like we have 2 days to get into the top 8 but we need to be in the top 15 after tomorrow.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron