Lil Ferentz takes digs at ISU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Link to Lazard saying this? Not Rhoads, Lazard.

Do you really believe that Rhoads conjured that out of thin air? Of course that's what Lazard told him. Now, Rhoads probably should have taken the high road and kept his mouth shut, but his comments were more admonishing the press for their constant narrative that Lazard was going to decommit than saying any other programs did something unethical.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I can't wait until this year's Iowa football team's offense completely stinks and all the Iowa fans are already calling for Junior's head.

Nothing I'd like to see more than in a couple years KF having to either fire his own son, or just retire so he doesn't have to.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Fact- Fleck is a huge douche.

I don't know what they do to kids on official visits but the number of kids who commit on campus and then almost immediately decommit after they leave is staggering. I don't know if doing the "hard sell" is a douche move, but I've never been someone who likes pushy sales people.

Reactions: HawkeyeMashup

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Interesting quote from Steve Wiltfong, who is the Director of Recruiting for 247sports.com:

“Iowa used to be able to soundly beat Illinois, Purdue, Indiana (for recruits), and Minnesota was in that group,” (Steve) Wiltfong said. “That is not going to happen with Minnesota anymore and, quite frankly, it isn’t going to happen with Iowa State anymore. … If they don’t win games at Minnesota or Iowa State, the recruiting wins are going to go away quick. But right now, they have their sleeves rolled up and they are recruiting.”

In the meantime, Fleck’s Gophers have put pressure on the Ferentzes’ Hawkeyes.

“What used to be layups for Iowa aren’t layups anymore,” Wiltfong said.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I can't wait until this year's Iowa football team's offense completely stinks and all the Iowa fans are already calling for Junior's head.

Nothing I'd like to see more than in a couple years KF having to either fire his own son, or just retire so he doesn't have to.

Not going to happen, any of it.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I don't know what they do to kids on official visits but the number of kids who commit on campus and then almost immediately decommit after they leave is staggering. I don't know if doing the "hard sell" is a douche move, but I've never been someone who likes pushy sales people.

Word is that Fleck is extremely high pressure when kids are on campus to secure a commitment.

Defining him as a douche is pretty much based off of every interview I have seen him do. Responding with "elite" when a reporter asks how you are doing is the definition of a douche.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Interesting quote:

It's also a ******** quote. The only time Iowa State wasn't competitive in in-state recruiting was when they decided they weren't interested in doing it.

The key in this state isn't necessarily always getting the top guy, it's knowing the state well enough to find the guys other schools miss. With so many small schools with vastly uneven talent, it's really hard to scout this state which is why some of the very best players to come out of the state were either walk-ons or only received a scholarship offer from one school.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
It's also a ******** quote. The only time Iowa State wasn't competitive in in-state recruiting was when they decided they weren't interested in doing it.

The key in this state isn't necessarily always getting the top guy, it's knowing the state well enough to find the guys other schools miss. With so many small schools with vastly uneven talent, it's really hard to scout this state which is why some of the very best players to come out of the state were either walk-ons or only received a scholarship offer from one school.
This. And it takes years to recover when you decide not to do the leg work in your state. I would expect this ISU staff to be deep in the knickers of most if not all of the Iowa high schools looking for that overlooked talent. Perhaps Zack Ross is the first "overlooked" talent, at least from the Iowa side of the house. I look forward to many more!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This. And it takes years to recover when you decide not to do the leg work in your state. I would expect this ISU staff to be deep in the knickers of most if not all of the Iowa high schools looking for that overlooked talent. Perhaps Zack Ross is the first "overlooked" talent, at least from the Iowa side of the house. I look forward to many more!

I generally agree with you. However, how can someone at Dowling be overlooked?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I generally agree with you. However, how can someone at Dowling be overlooked?

overlooked probably isn't the right word, underestimated might be what you're looking for. Generally speaking, there's not a single division 2 level or above player that the coaches from either school haven't at least gave a cursory glance at the tape of, it's just they underestimate how the player will fill out, how hard he works, what he'd look like at a different position, what the kid would look like playing with the proper technique, etc. The Allen Lazard's are fairly obvious to see the Jake Knott's, not so much.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not going to happen, any of it.

Seriously? If Iowa is really bad this year offensively, which is isn't a stretch at all to believe with no Beathard or WRs, you don't think there will be a LARGE segment of Iowa fans calling for Brian's head?

A lot of Iowa fans were ticked off the day Brian was hired, and a lot of my Hawkeye friends still aren't happy about it. If they have a down year offensively, it could get ugly. Obviously KF isn't going to fire his own son after one year, but there will be a lot of fans screaming for that to happen, you can count on that.

Honest question though... could you ever see KF firing Junior? I don't. I see him retiring instead, and then Junior just moving on to a different job at another school. "The Plan" though is for Junior to take over as the next head coach, but he'd better succeed as OC before he even thinks of doing that.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
overlooked probably isn't the right word, underestimated might be what you're looking for. Generally speaking, there's not a single division 2 level or above player that the coaches from either school haven't at least gave a cursory glance at the tape of, it's just they underestimate how the player will fill out, how hard he works, what he'd look like at a different position, what the kid would look like playing with the proper technique, etc. The Allen Lazard's are fairly obvious to see the Jake Knott's, not so much.

Nonetheless, if you "overlook" or "underestimate" someone at the most closely watched high school in the state, that is pretty bad.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Seriously? If Iowa is really bad this year offensively, which is isn't a stretch at all to believe with no Beathard or WRs, you don't think there will be a LARGE segment of Iowa fans calling for Brian's head?

A lot of Iowa fans were ticked off the day Brian was hired, and a lot of my Hawkeye friends still aren't happy about it. If they have a down year offensively, it could get ugly. Obviously KF isn't going to fire his own son after one year, but there will be a lot of fans screaming for that to happen, you can count on that.

Honest question though... could you ever see KF firing Junior? I don't. I see him retiring instead, and then Junior just moving on to a different job at another school. "The Plan" though is for Junior to take over as the next head coach, but he'd better succeed as OC before he even thinks of doing that.

Your Iowa fans must be giant tools or not have a clue.

Anybody screaming for BF to be let go after 1 season is a moron.

Let me guess, your buddies also wanted KF fired after 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012 and 2014?